Is the UFC a sports event or a show?

SwiftSpear

ya its not like anderson ruined a huge super card. people should be talking about how the so called BEST BJJ guy couldnt get silva on the ground and take his arm home with him.

I don't think so, people should just accept that Silva is a counter striker, he's DOMINANT in the standup, and thus will avoid the ground unless he has to fight there, and that he was better than Damian was.

The UFC makes a fight where the axiom of victory is effectively trip tag, weather one guy can make the other fall down, and then Dana gets mad that the fight looked like a game of tag with the occational punch. That's what happens. It's a sport. They're in there to win.

ya its not like anderson ruined a huge super card. people should be talking about how the so called BEST BJJ guy couldnt get silva on the ground and take his arm home with him.

well in a way he kinda did,dana put a good card together,with a big upset with edgar/penn,and was expecting his "best p4p fighter" to demolish maia and show the world,especially abu dhabi,that MMA is whats taking over in combat sports

when dana wants to take the UFC to a new country,he expects his fighters (especially the champs) to give it all they got to make sure the people from UAE want more

when you put a good card together in a brand new market,you'd expect for at least the most dominate p4p fighter to show whats really up

i think if anderson continues to act like that,no matter how good he is,no matter WHO he is...he is not bigger then the UFC itself,and dana isnt stupid enough to tank the org. he's worked over 10 years to build over ONE fighter

and also...why should anyone be talkin bad about maia for being the best BJJ guy but couldnt take silva down?

on the UFC home page people voted and the score was

silva-94%

maia-6%

maia went the distance and had silva dancin after he landed a couple shots

i think maia deserves nothing but praise

well in a way he kinda did' date='dana put a good card together,with a big upset with edgar/penn,and was expecting his "best p4p fighter" to demolish maia and show the world,especially abu dhabi,that MMA is whats taking over in combat sports

when dana wants to take the UFC to a new country,he expects his fighters (especially the champs) to give it all they got to make sure the people from UEA want more

when you put a good card together in a brand new market,you'd expect for at least the most dominate p4p fighter to show whats really up

i think if anderson continues to act like that,no matter how good he is,no matter WHO he is...he is not bigger then the UFC itself,and dana isnt stupid enough to tank the org. he's worked over 10 years to build over ONE fighter[/quote']

Eh, then why doesn't he pay them to hit eachother with chairs, rant and rave, trash talk, and all the other **** we see all the time in Sports Entertainment.

It it a sport, or is it SE? Sports are sometimes boring, because the goal of a sportsman is to win, it is not to be as entertaining as possible. Often times it's a choice that must be made, because the entertaining route is less safe and less effective.

MMA is largely very entertaining. The UFC does a really good job of encouraging fighters to be entertaining as often as possible. But getting mad at a counter striker for not being aggressive... That's just something else.

well in a way he kinda did' date='dana put a good card together,with a big upset with edgar/penn,and was expecting his "best p4p fighter" to demolish maia and show the world,especially abu dhabi,that MMA is whats taking over in combat sports

when dana wants to take the UFC to a new country,he expects his fighters (especially the champs) to give it all they got to make sure the people from UAE want more

i think if anderson continues to act like that,no matter how good he is,no matter WHO he is...he is not bigger then the UFC itself,and dana isnt stupid enough to tank the org. he's worked over 10 years to build over ONE fighter

and also...why should anyone be talkin bad about maia for being the best BJJ guy but couldnt take silva down?

on the UFC home page people voted and the score was

silva-94%

maia-6%

maia went the distance and had silva dancin after he landed a couple shots

i think maia deserves nothing but praise[/quote']

I agree with this guy, no matter who you are, you are not bigger than the UFC so how can you go into a fight and fight half arsed (even if he is that good that he doesn't need to use 100% effort), still get paid and have no-one say anything about it? End of the day it is a sport BUT there is still an obligation for the fighters to make it a fight not a f*ckin dance contest.

P.S I do blame Maia also for not being relentless enough but just nowhere near as much as I blame AS.

Another thing that upsets me is him going to Silva's corner during the fight. I think that it's the 2nd time it happened and I'd call that interfering with match results. If Dana wants MMA to be accepted as any other sport he must put himself in his place.

If Silva did something against the rules, you should be angry with the judge for not penalizing him. If Silva did something that people don't like but within the rules of the game, maybe you should be angry with the rules, not Silva.

I agree with this guy' date=' no matter who you are, you are not bigger than the UFC so how can you go into a fight [b']and fight half arsed[/b]
Was this:

silva - 94%

maia - 6%

...Anderson's fault???

(even if he is that good that he doesn't need to use 100% effort), still get paid and have no-one say anything about it?
WTF?

A fighter is payed to win. Not to make a "show" in the octagon. Pro-wrestlers make shows.

Another thing that upsets me is him going to Silva's corner during the fight. I think that it's the 2nd time it happened and I'd call that interfering with match results. If Dana wants MMA to be accepted as any other sport he must put himself in his place.

If Silva did something against the rules' date=' you should be angry with the judge for not penalizing him. If Silva did something that people don't like but within the rules of the game, maybe you should be angry with the rules, not Silva.[/quote']

I'm on the same side of the table.

DW has done a great job at bringing MMA mainstream... so hats off to him. I feel he is running the risk of hurting MMA with the current situation

When you start to change a sport to "entertainment" is will lose the value of it being a sport. This last fight with AS brings this issue front and center, and the next AS fight will be key on seeing how this plays out.

I love the sport of MMA - if it becomes "entertainment" instead of a sport I would quickly lose interest.

I very much hope the direction of MMA is towards "sporting". I think WWF or whatever it is currently called is the most idiotic stuff I could ever watch - and I would disapointed to find out UFC is leaning the same direction.

It's both...people pay to see a good showing' date=' yet it takes so much athleticism to compete in it.[/quote']

The same can be said for WWE. So why even bother with real fights, with non scripted outcomes? Why bother putting fighter's health on the line by allowing them to go all out punching and kicking eachother?

The whole point, is to me, this is JUST a sport, and like any other sport, when you watch the best in the world compete most of the time it's entertaining just by how amazing and spectacular their physical abilities are. It's not right for the fans or the promoters to demand to get angry at a fighter who makes a strategic decision to secure the win. That's just something that happens in sports. It's not the winner's fault the loser could not create action and push the fight forward. If the winner is using some tactic he's not allowed to use, then why isn't the referee doing his job?

What I'm saying is, I don't think Anderson DOES have anything to apologize for. He went out there and won the fight. There was no question in the 4th round that Anderson was already WAY ahead. He did what was safest for him to do to win.

The UFC is a COMBAT sport. Let's be real these guys are fighters, not athletes, not WWE wrestlers. Nothing is scripted, anything can happen during a UFC fight. If you want to watch more of what Silva did at 112 go and watch the WWE or TNA they put that stuff on every weekend. To me what Anderson did wasn't in the nature of the sport he competes in, which is MMA, he needs to be willing to engage when he steps in the Octagon not run around like some kind of sideshow. People defending Silvas antics are just the pure definition of a ****. GSP is my favorite fighter but I can be critical of him for his recent performances, but also understand he has evolved from the fighter he WAS into the fighter he IS. Anderson needs to be taught some respect, and the ref should have pulled him aside in each round threatening to take a point. It would have been hilarious if Maia won on points due to Silvas actions.

The UFC is a COMBAT sport. Let's be real these guys are fighters' date=' not athletes, not WWE wrestlers. Nothing is scripted, anything can happen during a UFC fight. If you want to watch more of what Silva did at 112 go and watch the WWE or TNA they put that stuff on every weekend. To me what Anderson did wasn't in the nature of the sport he competes in, which is MMA, he needs to be willing to engage when he steps in the Octagon not run around like some kind of sideshow. People defending Silvas antics are just the pure definition of a ****. GSP is my favorite fighter but I can be critical of him for his recent performances, but also understand he has evolved from the fighter he WAS into the fighter he IS. Anderson needs to be taught some respect, and the ref should have pulled him aside in each round threatening to take a point. It would have been hilarious if Maia won on points due to Silvas actions.[/quote']

Are you mad at Anderson for Taunting or are you mad at Anderson for running? Anderson Silva is a counter striker, why should he push the action when he has someone already DOMINATED on the score cards? It's risky to be aggressive, especially when you're an AMAZING counterstriker, but less amazing as an offensive striker.

What is a fighter? Someone who wins fights? Or someone who puts on the best show at the end of the day?

I was of the opinion that I was watching the former, not the latter. I don't want to see Hulk Hogan going out there and putting on a brawl, I want to see Anderson Silva showing his absolutely inhuman ability to end the advance of an opponent. I was of the opinion it was about skill and talent, not showmanship.

If a guy's style makes him more entertaining to watch, peachy, that's fine and dandy, as long as it works for him. But I want to see the guy, who in the end of the day, can win fights more than I want to see that other guy.

Are you mad at Anderson for Taunting or are you mad at Anderson for running? Anderson Silva is a counter striker' date=' why should he push the action when he has someone already DOMINATED on the score cards? It's risky to be aggressive, especially when you're an AMAZING counterstriker, but less amazing as an offensive striker.

What is a fighter? Someone who wins fights? Or someone who puts on the best show at the end of the day?

I was of the opinion that I was watching the former, not the latter. I don't want to see Hulk Hogan going out there and putting on a brawl, I want to see Anderson Silva showing his absolutely inhuman ability to end the advance of an opponent. I was of the opinion it was about skill and talent, not showmanship.

If a guy's style makes him more entertaining to watch, peachy, that's fine and dandy, as long as it works for him. But I want to see the guy, who in the end of the day, can win fights more than I want to see that other guy.[/quote']

You contradict yourself to many times for me to counter in this post! Anderson was doing nothing but showmanship in the Maia fight. Running around, and whatever else it was he was up to. He was not fighting, and at the end of the day he is a pugilist, so do what you're paid to do, and don't disrespect the fans and your opponents by carrying on like an idiot. Clearly you are to much of a Silva fan to admit this, so we'll just agree to disagree. But when was the last time a top tier fighter/athlete was threatened with being dismissed from his Company due to a good or dominate performance as you put it? He didn't end the advance of Maia, in case you didn't notice he backed off as soon as Maia pushed forward at all. Defend him all you want, anyone with any kind of fight knowledge has stated he was in the wrong on all counts in this fight.

well.....

the UFC has put so much pressure on their fighters that is has become a sport for show to many fans that wanna see a stand up battle or a KO and hate on many technical aspects of MMA. if the UFC wanted to be taken seriously as a sport it would work on a lot of the things that the get criticism for instead of worrying about promoting their next event for big numbers. at the rate its going it will become a show but as for now its a sport where the atletes are pressured to put on a "show"(KO) for the fans. Personally i have enjoyed the other fighting organizations events and some of the UFC prelims more than the past few main events in UFC.

You contradict yourself to many times for me to counter in this post! Anderson was doing nothing but showmanship in the Maia fight. Running around' date=' and whatever else it was he was up to. He was not fighting, and at the end of the day he is a pugilist, so do what you're paid to do, and don't disrespect the fans and your opponents by carrying on like an idiot. Clearly you are to much of a Silva fan to admit this, so we'll just agree to disagree. But when was the last time a top tier fighter/athlete was threatened with being dismissed from his Company due to a good or dominate performance as you put it? He didn't end the advance of Maia, in case you didn't notice he backed off as soon as Maia pushed forward at all. Defend him all you want, anyone with any kind of fight knowledge has stated he was in the wrong on all counts in this fight.[/quote']

So it shouldn't be the fighters choice weather to taunt or not to taunt? Weather to take the risk to push for the finish or weather to play it safe and grind out the decision? In my opinion Anderon was taunting Maia to try to force Maia to throw punches at him, and to rile the crowd up. Did I say anywhere he shouldn't be allowed to do that?

I'm just saying he shouldn't be required to do that, nor should he be required to "go for the finish". If he's winning fights, who are we to question his methods? You say he's being paid to fight, I disagree, this is a sport, he's being paid to WIN. If whatever he does inside the ring results in a win, he's doing it the right way. Sure, debate about weather he could be more efficient, debate about weather this or that wouldn't work, but at the end of the day, he's the one in the cage, not you. To threaten to cut the guy because you don't personally like his methods? Dana has gone WAY to far.

I really don't think I'm contradicting myself at all. I have nothing against showmanship. I have issues when the brass is telling the fighters what kind of show they are supposed to put on. That is called scripting, and scripting has NO place in a real sport.

Who's stating that Anderson was wrong on all counts? I have alot of fight knowledge. And I'm mirroring the sentiments of Karston, the MMA analyst, and he's forgotten more fights than you've ever seen. I've seen a huge amount of mixed opinions about it from alot of high up guys. The more articulate arguments are not coming from your side from my observations.

It's controversial, but in my corner of the universe, at very least I want to ensure my perspective is stated. If Dana cares what the fans think, then I'm going to be one of the fans telling him that I don't want to watch "entertaining" events if at the end of the day it means he tells the fighter how to fight. The rules of the sport tell the fighter how they are allowed to fight. The organization should change the rules if they are unhappy with them, but if they do not change the rules, then they should keep their influence out of the cage.

If an nfl team got a safety at the start of the game, then their defense was so good that they just kneel'd the ball the rest of the time and fans left, then all of a sudden season tickets are no longer being bought for the team, the team owner could easily threaten to fire some people. Truth be told, yes this is sports entertainment just like any other sport that makes money from the people watching is sports entertainment. If Silva could be the best fighter on the planet, but if he isn't getting paid because fans don't want to watch him, then his talent isn't going to stop him from becoming homeless.

So it shouldn't be the fighters choice weather to taunt or not to taunt? Weather to take the risk to push for the finish or weather to play it safe and grind out the decision? In my opinion Anderon was taunting Maia to try to force Maia to throw punches at him' date=' and to rile the crowd up. Did I say anywhere he shouldn't be allowed to do that?

[b']Yes it should be the fighters choice if they want to taunt or not. But at some point the taunting has to stop, and the fighting start. And I didn't say you mentioned he shouldn't be allowed to taunt, your argument is just the opposite, you side on the to much taunting side, even though I have a feeling you wouldn't if Maia had of pulled this kind of stunt. I have no problem with some prefight trashtalk, and even some taunting in the Cage as it makes a fight interesting, but when any fighter does it for almost 25 full minutes I have a problem with that. Especially when the other fighter starts answering you taunts but then you back away! Perhaps Maia should have just pulled guard and pounded his chest on the mat while Silva was pounding his on his feet what an exciting fight that would have been![/b]

I'm just saying he shouldn't be required to do that, nor should he be required to "go for the finish". If he's winning fights, who are we to question his methods? You say he's being paid to fight, I disagree, this is a sport, he's being paid to WIN. If whatever he does inside the ring results in a win, he's doing it the right way. Sure, debate about weather he could be more efficient, debate about weather this or that wouldn't work, but at the end of the day, he's the one in the cage, not you. To threaten to cut the guy because you don't personally like his methods? Dana has gone WAY to far.

Nobody is saying he had to do anything, other then his job. That being said a fighters job is to be constantly working to finish the fight, and Silva wasn't doing that on this night, or 2 other nights I can remember. His performance was a disgrace period end of story. He's not being threatened with being cut due to his methods, that is happening because of the complete lack of respect he showed for his opponent, the company he works for, and his fans. Also you state he is being paid to win, do you think he doesn't get a check if he loses? He is paid to fight, maybe he gets some more if he wins, but bottom line he is paid to fight. I couldn't disagree more with the if whatever he does in the Cage results in a win he is doing it the right way! So bending the rules such as low blows, or eyepokes to gain an advantage is alright?

I really don't think I'm contradicting myself at all. I have nothing against showmanship. I have issues when the brass is telling the fighters what kind of show they are supposed to put on. That is called scripting, and scripting has NO place in a real sport.

The "brass" didn't tell Silva to do anything. Remember this isn't EliteXC. The "brass" expected the #1 P4P fighter in the world to do what he does best, fight! It's that simple, when you show up for work do you do the least possible amount of work in the day just to get through? Or do you bust your a s s to prove to your boss and co-workers you are worthy of the position they have given you? Same thing here. They only expect him to do his job.

Who's stating that Anderson was wrong on all counts? I have alot of fight knowledge. And I'm mirroring the sentiments of Karston, the MMA analyst, and he's forgotten more fights than you've ever seen. I've seen a huge amount of mixed opinions about it from alot of high up guys. The more articulate arguments are not coming from your side from my observations.

You list one MMA analyst, and maybe he has forgotten more fights then I've seen, I doubt it but maybe, that's not the point here. I have read articles, and watched numerous videos with fighter interviews and every single one can't figure out what Silva was up to in that fight. Perhaps you need to look up the word "articulate" as I have yet to hear any facts backing up anything Silva did that night. I don't know the exact percentage, but it's way over 85% if had to guess, of people questioning Silvas actions. The only thing I would say would "back up" his actions would be people SPECULATING he is just bored, ok then retire!

It's controversial, but in my corner of the universe, at very least I want to ensure my perspective is stated. If Dana cares what the fans think, then I'm going to be one of the fans telling him that I don't want to watch "entertaining" events if at the end of the day it means he tells the fighter how to fight. The rules of the sport tell the fighter how they are allowed to fight. The organization should change the rules if they are unhappy with them, but if they do not change the rules, then they should keep their influence out of the cage.

Ok great you stated you perspective, and in doing so have only proved some fans will defend any action a fighter makes no questions asked. Remember people defended Iron Mike all the time through his antics! Why wouldn't you want to watch an entertaining event? I actually perfer to watch an entertaining fight, but keep in mind there are numerous ways a fight can be entertaining. If you are saying the only entertaining fights would be scripted clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, tonnes of tilts have been entertaining ranging from BJJ ground battles, to awesome wrestlers GnP'ing, to stand up KO's. It has nothing to do with rule changing, the only rule that needs to be changed would be to stop guys from being able to do what Silva did and still walk away with the W.

See the bolded answers in your quote for my rebuttable!

I had never heard of this MMA analyst you mentioned, so I googled him. Are you talking about a guy named Karsten? That apparently films his comments from his bedroom, and posts them on youtube? If so he is hardly a credible source of info from the mma media. This makes me suspect you may just be a lowly troll!

DW was embarrassed because it was the first card in Dhabi in front of their new partners who recently purchased 10% of the organization. Put yourself in Dana's shoes, would you be ok with it still? I don't think so.

by James Goyder

Mixed Martial Arts is often referred to as a sport in its infancy but interest in MMA has expanded at a far greater rate than the sport itself has been able to develop. In any other mainstream sport the emphasis is almost entirely on ability with marketability a secondary consideration. In MMA the opposite seems to apply and as a consequence cards are becoming clustered with fighters well past their prime.

Ability should be the sole criteria for success in any sport but in MMA it seems that reputation can far outweigh actual ability as a consideration in the minds of the match makers. MMA is in danger of losing its competitive edge because up and coming talent is being ignored at the expense of veteran fighters who come into the cage with an established reputation.

The UFC has an increasingly ageing roster of fighters with the likes of Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell and even Renzo Gracie still guaranteed spots on the upper echelons of pay per view cards. These men have all made a tremendous contribution towards the sport but I find it difficult to believe that there are not young prospects out there who, given the opportunity, could make more of an impression on the existing MMA scene.

Anderson Silva, widely regarded as the best pound for pound mixed martial artist on the planet, came in for heavy criticism after a lacklustre victory over Damian Maia recently. Silva's next opponent will be the UFC's number one middleweight contender Chael Sonnen. Sonnen harbours reservations of his own about the match making infrastructure in MMA,

"There is no competitive architecture in MMA. You want to know who the best wrestler is? Go watch the Olympic Games. Everybody with a heart beat is welcome to compete. there is a process, a competitive architecture which constantly gets broken down until there is one man standing on the entire planet."

He contrast the process which athletes have to go through to establish themselves as the best in their respective disciplines at the Olympics with the process, or lack of one, in the UFC at present,

"I remember when the UFC lost Tito Ortiz and everyone thought this would be detrimental. Within six weeks Dana White built up a character out of a guy called Andre Arlovski and made him into the greatest most feared fighter of all time. He dumped all sorts of money in all sorts of media and it caught on like that. The fans widely recognized Andre as the most feared fighter in the world but the truth was that he was 8 and 4. All four guys that beat him were bums and all the eight guys that he beat were mid card at best but because Dana White says Andre is the best he became the best. That's the brilliance of the UFC."

Sonnen is a highly intelligent individual who harbours political ambitions. His aspiring political carer appears to have given him an astute understanding of how to manipulate the media as he has come out with a series of deliberately derogatory comments about Anderson Silva recently. Sonnen is not your typical trash talking fighter and he is clearly aware that he needs to do more than just win fights if he is to form an indelible impression in the minds of the UFC match makers.

His campaing of concerted criticism has been extremely effective as Dana White made the unprecedented decision to announce Sonnen as Silva's next opponent within days of the debacle that was Silva's fight with Damian Maia. Sonnen believes that you cannot progress in the UFC on mere merit alone,

"The UFC doesn't work that way. There are no rules to get into the UFC. You can be a great fighter and never get a UFC contract, you can be the best fighter in the UFC and not have enough draw power to get on the main card or you can be on the main card and not have enough fans behind you to get you into the main event.

That's the business side of it that's not the fault of the UFC and a lot of people don't understand that, they fault the UFC for that. This is a business first. The UFC has got to turn a profit and people have got to understand that. I am using the UFC as an example but for any show that is the primary goal."

Sonnen's own record was, until recently, fairly unremarkable. Before joining the WEC, which is affiliated to the UFC, he was 19-8-1. In his fights for the WEC and the UFC he has gone 5-2. Would Sonnen have risen to become the number one contender had a more regulated match making infrastructure been in place? I don't think so and I get the impression that Sonnen himself doesn't think so either.

Headlining a UFC card is, short of winning an actual UFC title, probably the ultimate accolade for a mixed martial artist. Yet earlier this year Mark Coleman, aged 45, and having lost five of his previous nine fights found himself headlining a UFC pay per view show.

In doing so Coleman was standing in the way of every single unsigned light heavyweight fighter in the world. I find it impossible to believe that there are not better fighters than Coleman currently operating on the fringes of the UFC. Coleman won the UFC Heavyweight Title in 1997 and the Pride Open Weight Grand Prix in 2000. Despite these career highlights coming more than a decade ago they are still deemed sufficient to allow Coleman to continue depriving younger, better fighters of Octagon opportunities.

In most major sports there is some sort of a tournament or league format from which one clear winner will emerge.There are also normally satellite tournaments, sanctioned by a governing body, which will dictate who gets to participate in the major leagues or tournaments.

The vast number of independent promotions in the world of MMA make it much more unlikely that such a system could be adopted effectively. I personally like the Grand Prix or tournament format which the now defunct Pride operated and which Bellator also uses. While the selection criteria to enter the tournament is still subject to opinion it means that the eventual winner is selected according to ability alone as opposed to external factors such as a fighter's media profile or marketability.

One of the most outspoken critics of the UFC has been former middleweight champion Frank Shamrock. He thinks that market forces will ultimately prove to be a positive influence on the sport,

"When MMA gets on primetime the whole business of MMA is going to change and the market is going to force the best fighters to fight each other. Eventually that point will come, fans will demand it."

Shamrock's comments were made several years ago but with rival organizations continuing to jealously guard their most marketable assets his prediction does not appear particularly prescient.

I will leave you with the words of Chael Sonnen,

"Who is actually the best fighter in the world? I know guys who are great fighters but you wouldn't even know their names. They are in the practice room right now, they haven't been given their shot. So are we seeing the best fighters against the best fighters? No. But the real truth is nobody knows who the best fighter is."

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/380848-how-market-forces-are-damaging-mma

Silva and every other UFC fighter is paid to enter the octagon to compete and try to finish fights. Silva can show boat all he wants but he needs to cut the **** and get down to business. If he had have pressed the fight for 5 rounds and in the end just couldn't knock Maia out so be it. But to fight for 2.5 rounds then run in a circle for the next 2.5 doesn't cut it. Did you defend Houston Alexanders performance as well?

You say he's a counter striker but for over 2 rds Maia chased him around the ring trying to engage and Silva wound't even counter strike. He just ran.

All pro sports are both competitions and entertainment. Take for example NHl hockey. There was a time in the late 90's into say 2003-2004. During that time a defense first system was popularized by the New Jersey Devils and other teams and they were winning cups with it.

The dreaded left wing lock. Scoring plummeted, fans stopped watching and rink attendence dropped. The league took action to open up the game and bring more scoring back by cracking down on interference, removing the redline as part of the two line pass, regulating more closely the size of goaltender equipment and other things. The result was a resurgence of offense and scoring. Fans came back.

By not re-enforcing the fact that MMA is not boxing and these guys are there to try and finish fights MMA will go the way of boxing which is in decline because of champs like Mayweather that do the minimum possible to win fights.

The UFC is an entertainment industry as much as it is a competitive sports franchise.

It pisses me off.

The fans always get the run-around when it comes to who fights who. An example of this would be JDS vs Cain. Everybody wants this fight. Everybody. But the UFC is going to delay it so it has more hype when it actually happens.

I don't know about you all, but I don't like seeing people get built up by the UFC only to find out they're not as glorious as they would have us think. You guys remember Dan Hardy, right? All the Primetime episodes. What do you think all of that was for? We just want good fights. Not cinematic, highschool drama.

Silva and every other UFC fighter is paid to enter the octagon to compete and try to finish fights. Silva can show boat all he wants but he needs to cut the **** and get down to business. If he had have pressed the fight for 5 rounds and in the end just couldn't knock Maia out so be it. But to fight for 2.5 rounds then run in a circle for the next 2.5 doesn't cut it. Did you defend Houston Alexanders performance as well?

You say he's a counter striker but for over 2 rds Maia chased him around the ring trying to engage and Silva wound't even counter strike. He just ran.

All pro sports are both competitions and entertainment. Take for example NHl hockey. There was a time in the late 90's into say 2003-2004. During that time a defense first system was popularized by the New Jersey Devils and other teams and they were winning cups with it.

The dreaded left wing lock. Scoring plummeted' date=' fans stopped watching and rink attendence dropped. The league took action to open up the game and bring more scoring back by cracking down on interference, removing the redline as part of the two line pass, regulating more closely the size of goaltender equipment and other things. The result was a resurgence of offense and scoring. Fans came back.

By not re-enforcing the fact that MMA is not boxing and these guys are there to try and finish fights MMA will go the way of boxing which is in decline because of champs like Mayweather that do the minimum possible to win fights.[/quote']

Silva is also a business man and him trying to get out of the fight without a scratch was just a good career move. Logically, the less damage you take, the longer of a career you are able to have.

The dreaded left wing lock. Scoring plummeted' date=' fans stopped watching and rink attendence dropped. The league took action to open up the game and bring more scoring back by cracking down on interference, removing the redline as part of the two line pass, regulating more closely the size of goaltender equipment and other things. The result was a resurgence of offense and scoring. Fans came back.

By not re-enforcing the fact that MMA is not boxing and these guys are there to try and finish fights MMA will go the way of boxing which is in decline because of champs like Mayweather that do the minimum possible to win fights.[/quote']

Pretty much exactly what I've been chomping at the bit to say all thread. Every pro sport is both a sport and entertainment. After all, if its not entertaining why would anyone watch? Lots of pro sports organizations have made changes to their games to improve the entertainment value of their product. The trap era of the NHL as outlined in the quoted post is a great example. I would also point to the NBA implementing a shot clock after teams started learning how to stall games once they got ahead on the scoreboard.

True, you'll always have the purists, fans of the original version of a sport who hate any changes made to it. But lets face it, times change and sports need to keep up if they want people to continue watching. So to say that the UFC shouldn't be concerned with the entertainment value of their product is ignorant. If they don't concern themselves with it, they'll be out of business soon enough. I'll agree that there are good ways and bad ways to go about trying to make your sport more entertaining, but you can't just bury your head in the sand and ignore that facet of your product.

Archived