The UFC love it - the Fans hate it

Muay_Thai_Leeds

Seems like the best way to get on in the UFC is to talk down to your oponent. A lot of people are putting down Daley, Hardy and Bisping but they are smart, look at the evidence:-

Bisping - nowhere near the top of the division - yet he was 1 fight from a title shot.

Hardy - nowhere near the top of the division - got a title shot.

Daley - only just arrived in the UFC - possibly 1 fight from a title shot.

Terry Etim has been in the UFC a long time, he has kept his head down and been quiet - as a result people like him but he's not that well known, he rarely fights on the main card and has never been near the LW title despite being at the same level in his division as the above mentioned fighters.

I am using Brits as an example here but its true of any fighter from anywhere really, if a fighter puts his rep on the line in order to get the fights he wants like Hardy did then I think that he should be applauded.

seems like the best way to get on in the ufc is to talk down to your oponent. A lot of people are putting down daley' date=' hardy and bisping but they are smart, look at the evidence:-

bisping - nowhere near the top of the division - yet he was 1 fight from a title shot.

Daley - only just arrived in the ufc - possibly 1 fight from a title shot.

Terry etim has been in the ufc a long time, he has kept his head down and been quiet - as a result people like him but he's not that well known, he rarely fights on the main card and has never been near the lhw title despite being at the same level in his division as the above mentioned fighters.

I am using brits as an example here but its true of any fighter from anywhere really, if a fighter puts his rep on the line in order to get the fights he wants like hardy did then i think that he should be applauded.[/quote']

sorry dont mean to quibble but etim is a LW not LHW.....the rest i agree with

Terry Etim just lost but i do agree with ya on your points. Hardy knocked out a WW gatekeeper and decisioned against a mid-level opponent and he shot right to a title shot when fitch deserved it way more. and pretty much the same thing for daley he knocked out hazelett who now all of a sudden near the top of the food chain but it dont matter cus fragglerock is gonna gnp him

Seems like the best way to get on in the UFC is to talk down to your oponent. A lot of people are putting down Daley' date=' Hardy and Bisping but they are smart, look at the evidence:-

Bisping - nowhere near the top of the division - yet he was 1 fight from a title shot.

Daley - only just arrived in the UFC - possibly 1 fight from a title shot.

Terry Etim has been in the UFC a long time, he has kept his head down and been quiet - as a result people like him but he's not that well known, he rarely fights on the main card and has never been near the LW title despite being at the same level in his division as the above mentioned fighters.

I am using Brits as an example here but its true of any fighter from anywhere really, if a fighter puts his rep on the line in order to get the fights he wants like Hardy did then I think that he should be applauded.[/quote']

I think its more because of lack of competition than anything else. Most fighters talk smack in the pre fight hype shows, but they don't get a title shot because of that. Hardy and Bisping are more examples of being from england and the UFC wanting to expand that horizon more than anything else. What better way to get europe and UK more interested in MMA as a sport than to give there guys a shot at the title, or gatekeepers, wether they earned them or not? Most UK fans are steadfast Bisping and Hardy supporters whether they deserve the attention or not, because they are the best known fighters from that area. Do I think hardy deserved a shot at GSP? no, but I would rather have seen him fight Hardy than fight someone who he has already walked all over the ring on anyways. Makes sense right?

I think its more because of lack of competition than anything else. Most fighters talk smack in the pre fight hype shows' date=' but they don't get a title shot because of that. Hardy and Bisping are more examples of being from england and the UFC wanting to expand that horizon more than anything else. What better way to get europe and UK more interested in MMA as a sport than to give there guys a shot at the title, or gatekeepers, wether they earned them or not? Most UK fans are steadfast Bisping and Hardy supporters whether they deserve the attention or not, because they are the best known fighters from that area. Do I think hardy deserved a shot at GSP? no, but I would rather have seen him fight Hardy than fight someone who he has already walked all over the ring on anyways. Makes sense right?[/quote']

Well as I stated in the the first post if this was the case why didnt they do it with Etim, he has been in the UFC since UFC 70 and he is from Liverpool which has a big fanbase for the fight game.

Seems like the best way to get on in the UFC is to talk down to your oponent. A lot of people are putting down Daley' date=' Hardy and Bisping but they are smart, look at the evidence:[/quote']Good point but not quite the right conclusion, IMO.

It's drama that works for the UFC. In order for there to be drama, there needs to be conflict. Talking down your opponent is a quick, easy way to do that.

Well as I stated in the the first post if this was the case why didnt they do it with Etim' date=' he has been in the UFC since UFC 70 and he is from Liverpool which has a big fanbase for the fight game.[/quote']

Etim has to overcome starting his UFC career at 1-2. I think the fact he was kept after losing 2 of his first 3 was because he was from the UK. Many other fighters after a 1-2 start get cut and have to go on a win streak in a lower promotion before getting another UFC contract. If he had beat dos Anjos he would have been right there in the mix.

Hardy was in the right place at the right time. First he stepped up to fight Swick after Kampmann pulled out due to injury in what had already been billed a #1 contender fight. He then won that fight. The fact he was a Brit, a very visable guy with the Mohawk and trash talk didn't hurt for sure.

With a champs like GSP ,Silva or Penn what's the UFC to do. Keep rematching with guys the Champs already beat or send in some fresh blood and hope for a good showing and maybe an upset like Edgar?

Rematches don't sell well when the first fight was very one sided.

Etim has to overcome starting his UFC career at 1-2. I think the fact he was kept after losing 2 of his first 3 was because he was from the UK. Many other fighters after a 1-2 start get cut and have to go on a win streak in a lower promotion before getting another UFC contract. If he had beat dos Anjos he would have been right there in the mix.

Hardy was in the right place at the right time. First he stepped up to fight Swick after Kampmann pulled out due to injury in what had already been billed a #1 contender fight. He then won that fight. The fact he was a Brit' date=' a very visable guy with the Mohawk and trash talk didn't hurt for sure.

With a champs like GSP ,Silva or Penn what's the UFC to do. Keep rematching with guys the Champs already beat or send in some fresh blood and hope for a good showing and maybe an upset like Edgar?

Rematches don't sell well when the first fight was very one sided.[/quote']

I take your point on Etim but I still dont know if its as much them being British as people think, they still would of protected him and ensured he got a few easy fights and at least put him on the main card if British fighters were favoritised like some people seem to think they are.

Hardy put himself in the right place by talking his way into a fight with Marcus Davis - he said himself he couldnt believe his luck when he got that fight.

Bisping might of been held back a bit because he was the first UK guy to go into TUF and gained a lot of popularity in the UK for the UFC as a result and the UFC didnt want to throw him into fights he was likely to lose like they did with Hardy.

I kinda agree with you fella but I think the only reason Hardy got the title shot is because GSP already beat everyone else in the division apart from Swick who Hardy demolished, the fact that he is brash and British just plays into the hands of the UFC marketing departments hands.

I kinda agree with you fella but I think the only reason Hardy got the title shot is because GSP already beat everyone else in the division apart from Swick who Hardy demolished' date=' the fact that he is brash and British just plays into the hands of the UFC marketing departments hands.[/quote']

I agree but Hardy had already talked himself into a fight with better competition than he would of got by that point with the Davis fight.

Archived