Lightweight rankings

InvisibleControl

Where the hell is Ben Henderson? I mean really!

In most top 10s we see BJ, Florian, Aoki, Alvarez, Edgar, Melendez, Maynard, Sherk, but no Henderson?

In my opinion he is in the top three, undeniably.

He's 11-1. Hasn't lost since 2006. WEC Lightweight champion. 9/11 wins were finishes.

His fight with Cerrone was insane. The submissions he escaped would of had any other lightweight tapping or sleeping. The guy is made of rubber.

I think any top 5 list without him on it is bogus.

And we always hear about "Jose Aldo should come to the UFC and move up and fight BJ". But what about Henderson who is the 155 champ at WEC? Why don't we ever hear about that matchup?

Dude needs more credit! Maybe people will start to jump on the bandwagon when they check out WEC 48 and see him beat Cerrone again.

Smooth is good. I have him right outside the top 10 in my LW rankings. Thing is that being good alone doesnt move you up in the ranks, you actually have to get the big wins. So he has beaten Cerrone and Varner, pretty good. But who has Cerrone beaten? Or Varner for that matter? Cerrone and Varner were not ranked too high (shouldt have been imo at least) so beating them shouldnt give such a huge push. Thats why he aint higher imo.

Where the hell is Ben Henderson? I mean really!

In most top 10s we see BJ' date=' Florian, Aoki, Alvarez, Edgar, Melendez, Maynard, Sherk, but no Henderson?

In my opinion he is in the top three, undeniably.

He's 11-1. Hasn't lost since 2006. WEC Lightweight champion. 9/11 wins were finishes.

His fight with Cerrone was insane. The submissions he escaped would of had any other lightweight tapping or sleeping. The guy is made of rubber.

I think any top 5 list without him on it is bogus.

And we always hear about "Jose Aldo should come to the UFC and move up and fight BJ". But what about Henderson who is the 155 champ at WEC? Why don't we ever hear about that matchup?

Dude needs more credit! Maybe people will start to jump on the bandwagon when they check out WEC 48 and see him beat Cerrone again.[/quote']

Edgar, Penn, Florian, Maynard, Sotiropoulos, Griffin, Tibau, Jim Miller, Melendez, Aoki

IMO, those are my top 10 in order. Smooth might be my number 11. If Sanchez is still going to fight at LW then id take out Aoki(great ground game but needs to develop some sort of stand-up to beat the top LW's) and pencil him in between Sot. and Griffin, or Griffin and Tibau.

Edgar' date=' Penn, Florian, Maynard, Sotiropoulos, Griffin, Tibau, Jim Miller, Melendez, Aoki

IMO, those are my top 10 in order. Smooth might be my number 11. If Sanchez is still going to fight at LW then id take out Aoki(great ground game but needs to develop some sort of stand-up to beat the top LW's) and pencil him in between Sot. and Griffin, or Griffin and Tibau.[/quote']

You seem to base your rankings according to your personal preference rather than achievement. I dislike Aoki for the reasons you explain, but his record and the names he has beaten put him up there in the top 3 imo. You also overlook guys like Alvarez and Kawajiri.

You seem to base your rankings according to your personal preference rather than achievement. I dislike Aoki for the reasons you explain' date=' but his record and the names he has beaten put him up there in the top 3 imo. You also overlook guys like Alvarez and Kawajiri.[/quote']

I just think that the ones I mentioned are more well rounded. You think that Aoki could beat Edgar, Penn, or Florien? Or Maynard? IMO, they would all beat him. And im going on more current achievement than what they have dont throughout their careers.

I will admit that I forgot Alvarez.

Who do you think doesnt deserve to be in there, and who did I miss?

I just think that the ones I mentioned are more well rounded. You think that Aoki could beat Edgar' date=' Penn, or Florien? Or Maynard? IMO, they would all beat him. And im going on more current achievement than what they have dont throughout their careers.

I will admit that I forgot Alvarez.

Who do you think doesnt deserve to be in there, and who did I miss?[/quote']

Like I said, you seem to rank them according to who you like more as a fighter and who you like less. If so, it is hard to argue anything, cause personal preference is personal preference. But if you are discussing more "official" rankings, things like "this guy would beat that guy" dont count. What counts is what each guy has done so far, against whom they have done it and how.

Like I also said before, I dont like Aoki and I would root for any of those other guys if they were to fight. But those fights have not happened yet and Aoki is 23-4 or so with wins over several top guys and a streak of 3 wins over Hirota, Hansen and Ribeiro. Damn! I dont like him, but facts are facts. That puts him up there. If Melendez beats him (and I hope he does) then I think is fair to put all those guys above him in the ranks.

Alvarez and Kawajiri definitely deserve a place up there since they have beaten other high rank fighters and have loses only against top guys as well. I would take away Miller and Tibau, since they dont have wins against top guys.

Edgar' date=' Penn, Florian, Maynard, Sotiropoulos, Griffin, Tibau, Jim Miller, Melendez, Aoki

IMO, those are my top 10 in order. Smooth might be my number 11. If Sanchez is still going to fight at LW then id take out Aoki(great ground game but needs to develop some sort of stand-up to beat the top LW's) and pencil him in between Sot. and Griffin, or Griffin and Tibau.[/quote']

Make BJ fight Griffin 1st ....so he can rack up his 2nd loss in a row.

The Let Florian beat him....that would be 3 in a row!

Like I said' date=' you seem to rank them according to who you like more as a fighter and who you like less. If so, it is hard to argue anything, cause personal preference is personal preference. But if you are discussing more "official" rankings, things like "this guy would beat that guy" dont count. What counts is what each guy has done so far, against whom they have done it and how.

Like I also said before, I dont like Aoki and I would root for any of those other guys if they were to fight. But those fights have not happened yet and Aoki is 23-4 or so with wins over several top guys and a streak of 3 wins over Hirota, Hansen and Ribeiro. Damn! I dont like him, but facts are facts. That puts him up there. If Melendez beats him (and I hope he does) then I think is fair to put all those guys above him in the ranks.

Alvarez and Kawajiri definitely deserve a place up there since they have beaten other high rank fighters and have loses only against top guys as well. I would take away Miller and Tibau, since they dont have wins against top guys.[/quote']

Yeah, taking out Miller and Tibau would be fair. I guess I was more making my ranks according to who I think would win if they fought. Ive learned that records dont always make rankings from watching Gomi (who was 36-5 or something like that) fight Florian.

But I still dont think that Aoki would beat any of the top 3-5 UFC LWs..but thats just my opinion.

And I think that Tibau is going to turn some heads this year with his new found stand-up. Hes already got a solid ground game.

I get what you are saying but in all fairness I think Henderson would beat most of the guys on that list. The lightweight division in the WEC just doesn't have big names, but he already beat the top guys (Varner, Cerrone).

Ben henderson is a good fighter,but if you remember the diego and penn fight joe rogan said that henderson went out to penn camp and trained with penn. Henderson said it himself that he's not even close to being on the same level as penn. Ben henderson would get work in the ufc. He not ready for the big leagues. Same with varner, cerrone, faber, the only one i think could make the jump is aldo and he would have to gain some weght to fight 155 lb, but he is a small arderson silva ,buit he finish fights. I think he gets paid by the second. Because thats all it takes him. Faber could be in trouble this week.

Archived