New point system to stave off MMA boredom

zebulla

Here is a fun little idea that I have with regards to the point system. Maybe this is how fight metrics works, not really sure.. In any case I am trying to work on a new point system that works better with MMA than the current one. A system that is harder to manipulate the way Silva and Edgar have done in their last fights, and rewards true danger instead of equal points for pointless takedowns and jabs that lead to nothing.

Please add to this post with your own thoughts and ideas; Keep in mind this is suppose to be fun and don’t get all crazy psycho on me and flame me for knocking your favo fighters.

In the recent fight between edgar and penn we saw a fighter manipulate the point system perfectly. Example: a jab that led to nothing else scored one point. No intention of hurting or finishing the fight. A quick takedown with no discernible advantage=point, so on and so forth. This was also seen the the Marquat vs. Sonnen fight. Sonnen was never close to finishing the fight nor did he try, while marquat on several different occasions was close to winning by submission and even once on near knockout. However, sonnen did deserve the win, but perhaps not as convincingly as he was awarded.

And yes it’s Saturday so I do have a lot of time on my hands.. The idea is simple, instead of Dana going around *****ing about fighters not engaging, the UFC need to create a system that encourages engaging and not reward laziness.

I'm being told there is a similar post on Sherdog, can someone please post the link here. Nobody can seem to find the post and I can't find it either

Anyway, taking the dynamics of MMA in mind and the different fighting styles I am playing around with a new fight scoring system:

Stand up:

Jab with no follow through (no hooks, cross, uppercuts, takedown and so no)= 0 points – They hurt, but there is no danger to the receiver of the jab.

Jab with follow through (followed by hook, uppercut etc) =1 point for jab, 2 points for hook or cross (power shots) total= 3 points

Cross, uppercut and other clean power shots meant to do damage= 2points

Leg kick with no follow through= 0 points (same as jab)

Leg push (simply used to keep distance)= 0 points

Leg kick with follow through= 1 point for kick 2 points if followed by power strikes total = 3 points

Head kicks, body kicks or hard thigh shots = 2 points

Takedowns:

Takedown with no discernable or held advantage = 0 points

Takedown with top mount (full guard) = 1 point

Takedown to full mount, side mount or back control= 2 points

Takedown with lost advantage (ends with near submission, usually guiatine) = 2 points to defender

Ground Game:

Top control with no lead through = 0 points (AKA sonnen vs marquat)

Top control with baby jabs = 0 points (if your gonna hit do it with authority.. not just to score points)

Top control with submission attempts = 2 points for each attempt (GSP vs. Harding)

Top control with hard shots = 1 point

For fighting in guard (bottom position):

Successful defense from full mount to full guard = 1 point

Submission attempt from bottom = 1 point

Upward kick with intention to do damage = 1 point

Sweep, or reverse =1 point

Sweep to full mount or back control = 1 point sweep, 2 points for followthrough.

Other ideas:

Octagon control = 0 points. In modern day MMA this is unimportant. Many BJJ fighters are comfortable giving away octagon control in order to land a submission.

Dancing without fighting = 0 points, and point deduction for each full octagon lap. (silva vs. Maia)

Fighting without engaging to do harm = 0 points, and eventual automatic disqualification if goes to scorecard (aka Penn vs Edgar)

ive seen the same exact thread in sherdogg if your going to copy and paste at least say where and who you copied this from you thread troll jacker

really? had I copied and pasted I would have given credit.. However this is something I wrote myself using my own thoughts. Please post the link, I would like to read it myself and maybe be able to add to my own ideas. So don't be a ****.

really? had I copied and pasted I would have given credit.. However this is something I wrote myself using my own thoughts. Please post the link' date=' I would like to read it myself and maybe be able to add to my own ideas. So don't be a ****.[/quote']

ive seen the exact same thread in sherdogg word for word quit coping and pasting and come up with your own ideas troll

ive seen the exact same thread in sherdogg word for word quit coping and pasting and come up with your own ideas troll

Well I would be amazed if it was word for word considering I wrote this from scratch.. but I wouldn't be suprised if there are similar ideas out there. But I've never actually been to the sherdog forum yet, that is why I am wanting a link. Again, quit being a ****

Well I would be amazed if it was word for word considering I wrote this from scratch.. but I wouldn't be suprised if there are similar ideas out there. But I've never actually been to the sherdog forum yet' date=' that is why I am wanting a link. Again, quit being a ****[/quote']

look i know and you know that you copied this thread from another forum i dont have to post the link because i know i am right ive seen the thread for my self

look i know and you know that you copied this thread from another forum i dont have to post the link because i know i am right ive seen the thread for my self

actually an accusation without facts is idiocy.. so either man up or shut up but quit being a child

er im curious as to how anderson manipulated points in his last fight ?

He won the fights on points, what I mean with anderson is that he was not punished for not engaging. Of course neither was maia, but the current point system does not encourage engagement

Here is a fun little idea that I have with regards to the point system. Maybe this is how fight metrics works' date=' not really sure.. In any case I am trying to work on a new point system that works better with MMA than the current one. A system that is harder to manipulate the way Silva and Edgar have done in their last fights, and rewards true danger instead of equal points for pointless takedowns and jabs that lead to nothing.

Please add to this post with your own thoughts and ideas; Keep in mind this is suppose to be fun and don?t get all crazy psycho on me and flame me for knocking your favo fighters.

In the recent fight between edgar and penn we saw a fighter manipulate the point system perfectly. Example: a jab that led to nothing else scored one point. No intention of hurting or finishing the fight. A quick takedown with no discernible advantage=point, so on and so forth. This was also seen the the Marquat vs. Sonnen fight. Sonnen was never close to finishing the fight nor did he try, while marquat on several different occasions was close to winning by submission and even once on near knockout. However, sonnen did deserve the win, but perhaps not as convincingly as he was awarded.

And yes it?s Saturday so I do have a lot of time on my hands.. The idea is simple, instead of Dana going around *****ing about fighters not engaging, the UFC need to create a system that encourages engaging and not reward laziness.

[b']I'm being told there is a similar post on Sherdog, can someone please post the link here. There seems to be only small children here that can't or won't find the link and I can't find it either[/b]

Anyway, taking the dynamics of MMA in mind and the different fighting styles I am playing around with a new fight scoring system:

Stand up:

Jab with no follow through (no hooks, cross, uppercuts, takedown and so no)= 0 points ? They hurt, but there is no danger to the receiver of the jab.

Jab with follow through (followed by hook, uppercut etc) =1 point for jab, 2 points for hook or cross (power shots) total= 3 points

Leg kick with follow through= 1 point for kick 2 points if followed by power strikes total = 3 points

Takedowns:

Takedown with lost advantage (ends with near submission, usually guiatine) = 2 points to defender

Ground Game:

Top control with baby jabs = 0 points (if your gonna hit do it with authority.. not just to score points)

Top control with submission attempts = 2 points for each attempt (GSP vs. Harding)

Sweep to full mount or back control = 1 point sweep, 2 points for followthrough.

Other ideas:

Octagon control = 0 points. In modern day MMA this is unimportant. Many BJJ fighters are comfortable giving away octagon control in order to land a submission.

Dancing without fighting = 0 points, and point deduction for each full octagon lap. (silva vs. Maia)

Fighting without engaging to do harm = 0 points, and eventual automatic disqualification if goes to scorecard (aka Penn vs Edgar)

Leg kicks 0 points????? Tell Hardonk that when he wins a fight with 2 of them

really? the exact same post? please post the link I find this amazing. I can understand the same idea, and perhaps similar scoring.. but the exact same? It's like saying all cook books are plagiarism because they have similar titles and content.

your system sucks. I have this example why it sucks so bad :

ok so now we're going to give points based on intention.. cool..

Your system seems to pay more attention to the number of strikes than on their efficiency. You know what, leave it to the pro to judge the fights and let the amateurs complain about the result while they try to make score system that aren't worth a penny. Implementing a rigid point system is more likely to give bad scoring than leaving it to the judge, especially if this system is based on the number of strikes rather than on the damage taken.

And there's no perfect way to establis who won, because if it goes to decision, there's no way to score people's chin or how much energy they had left. That's why one of the criterias is "agression" and "octagon control". These criterias can be used to take account of what's left of a fighter.

Take for exemple Ben Rothwell.. I remember seeing the man sustain unbelievable damage and heavy strikes from Velasquez and although he was completly unable to defend, he was still there.. Still conscious and aware and ready to fight but they stopped it cuz it was obviously not a fight... The point is, how can you score the hits equally when some fighters are tanks who move slowly and can get hit countless time, while others dont get hit much but have no chin and take as much damage with 1 punch that the other takes with 10.

your system sucks. I have this example why it sucks so bad :

ok so now we're going to give points based on intention.. cool..

Your system seems to pay more attention to the number of strikes than on their efficiency. You know what' date=' leave it to the pro to judge the fights and let the amateurs complain about the result while they try to make score system that aren't worth a penny. Implementing a rigid point system is more likely to give bad scoring than leaving it to the judge, especially if this system is based on the number of strikes rather than on the damage taken.

And there's no perfect way to establis who won, because if it goes to decision, there's no way to score people's chin or how much energy they had left. That's why one of the criterias is "agression" and "octagon control". These criterias can be used to take account of what's left of a fighter.

Take for exemple Ben Rothwell.. I remember seeing the man sustain unbelievable damage and heavy strikes from Velasquez and although he was completly unable to defend, he was still there.. Still conscious and aware and ready to fight but they stopped it cuz it was obviously not a fight... The point is, how can you score the hits equally when some fighters are tanks who move slowly and can get hit countless time, while others dont get hit much but have no chin and take as much damage with 1 punch that the other takes with 10.[/quote']

Finally, somebody with something intelligent to add to the discussion.. As I said, the post was merely for fun and theory on how to work out a new scoring system.. not that this is the end all solution. I know my scoring system is far from complete.. that was not the point, the point was for everyone to jump in with their own ideas.

I like your scoring system, but I made up my own. Tell me what you guys think:

Stand up:

Jab with no follow through (no hooks, cross, uppercuts, takedown and so no)= 0 points – They hurt, but there is no danger to the receiver of the jab.

Takedowns:

Ground Game:

Other ideas:

If you are not doing it to score points then what ARE you doing? a hit is a hit and it scores points wether you like it or now.. Or did I misunderstand something?

Archived