No elbows on ground rule hurt the SF fight.

The_Great_Catpiss

I think the biggest issue with the Strikeforce fight was that elbows can't be used. It looked like Dan Henderson was really holding back from the elbows. I don't think Henderson has adjusted to that yet. I think Mo vs Mousasi would have been more exciting with elbows too.

The lack of elbows left the fights dry. Kind of like salsa without any spice.

That being said, it was truly embarrassing watching how easily shields moved around on top of Henderson. I thought this would be the fight card of the year. Unfortunately it wasn't much different than the last few UFC fights. (some of you will disagree, but whatever). IMO, the WEC has had the most exciting matches of the year.

Yeah, I think this needs rule needs to be reexamined as well. Shields has about as much power in his fists as a ten year-old. Maybe Hendo would have done more to get out of the mount if he actually feared for his physical safety. Elbows to the head of a grounded opponent would have put that fear into him.

Yeah' date=' I think this needs rule needs to be reexamined as well. Shields has about as much power in his fists as a ten year-old. Maybe Hendo would have done more to get out of the mount if he actually feared for his physical safety. Elbows to the head of a grounded opponent would have put that fear into him.[/quote']

Yeah, that too...

Yea' date=' coming from someone who just rewatched TUF1 ...

I don't see a reason for elbows at this point to the face. Nobody wants to see a fight end that way.

Leben got screwed from it.....Griffin almost did and imagine if he couldn't fight and had to be eliminated ....no Griffin vs Bonnar :eek:[/quote']

So you would prefer that the UFC and WEC eliminate elbows? Are you sure you know what impact that will have on many of the fighters game? I really don't know what the impact will be, but it was frustrating watching Henderson hold back and suck.

So you would prefer that the UFC and WEC eliminate elbows? Are you sure you know what impact that will have on many of the fighters game? I really don't know what the impact will be' date=' but it was frustrating watching Henderson hold back and suck.[/quote']

Hendo fought for many, many years in an organization that disallowed elbows to grounded opponents and did very very well there. I heard he won a couple belts there, but that might just be speculation.

Elbows to grounded opponents are a very minor part of MMA and unneccessary.

It doesn't seem like elbows hit harder than fists. Elbows are just sharp' date=' and in my opinion, cuts are a cheap way to get a tko.[/quote']

Um yeah i have been both elbowed across the jaw and punched in the jaw. The elbow hit a lot harder. The fist is made up of a bunch of smaller bones with cushions of cartilidge and stuff. Yes you can come from a lot different angles than an elbow but i can tell with 100% certainty that an elbow hits harder.

It doesn't seem like elbows hit harder than fists. Elbows are just sharp' date=' and in my opinion, cuts are a cheap way to get a tko.[/quote']

????

Dude. A win is a win. FINISH THE FIGHT!

Call me cheap but I would take it. Sure a KO would be better but a TKO is as good & A WIN!

So if a guy taps... Is that a cheap win?

????

Call me cheap but I would take it. Sure a KO would be better but a TKO is as good & A WIN!

Elbows sometimes create cheap wins. I understand that. Usually it is an elbow to the forehead that cuts the skin open.

I just don't know of the pros of banning elbows outweigh the cons...

Elbows aren't the only strikes that cause cuts, and it's just as possible to cut with an elbow from the clinch as on the ground. After Diego Sanchez vs BJ did people want head kicks banned? Fighters just need to protect themselves, and if they can't, they may get TKO'd by doctor stoppage.

????

Someone gets a cut above the eye, something which cannot be trained up or toughened up in any way, and loses because of it. Its a dumb way to lose.

You can train your wrestling, submissions, cardio, striking. You cant train the skin on your forhead to be strong and withstand cuts. I hate when fighters try to purposefully exploit that.

Making someone submit to you is a dominant display. Making someone go unconscious is as well. A fighter throws an elbow that does little more than graze the skin, causing a cut which ends a fight, shows little to no dominance at all.

Elbows aren't the only strikes that cause cuts' date=' and it's just as possible to cut with an elbow from the clinch as on the ground. After Diego Sanchez vs BJ did people want head kicks banned? Fighters just need to protect themselves, and if they can't, they may get TKO'd by doctor stoppage.[/quote']

Yeah, everyone just come up with 1 situation from recent memory to serve their point.

Yeah' date=' everyone just come up with 1 situation from recent memory to serve their point.[/quote']

What's the point of this statement? I get that you don't like TKOs due to cuts, but are you claiming that elbows on the ground are the only way fighters get cut or what? Perhaps it would make more sense to require headgear or something if cuts are the only concern.

Elbows aren't the only strikes that cause cuts' date=' and it's just as possible to cut with an elbow from the clinch as on the ground. After Diego Sanchez vs BJ did people want head kicks banned? Fighters just need to protect themselves, and if they can't, they may get TKO'd by doctor stoppage.[/quote']

Its a hell of a lot harder to land a solid leg kick then an elbow in the clinch.

It just sucks when a fighter is getting his **** kicked...lands a lucky elbow and he wins.

I think the biggest issue with the Strikeforce fight was that elbows can't be used. It looked like Dan Henderson was really holding back from the elbows. I don't think Henderson has adjusted to that yet. I think Mo vs Mousasi would have been more exciting with elbows too.

The lack of elbows left the fights dry. Kind of like salsa without any spice.

That being said' date=' it was truly embarrassing watching how easily shields moved around on top of Henderson. I thought this would be the fight card of the year. Unfortunately it wasn't much different than the last few UFC fights. (some of you will disagree, but whatever). IMO, the WEC has had the most exciting matches of the year.[/quote']

wec is the **** best fights forsure too bad I get to miss it cause of prom this Saturday

The elbow can also crush bone easier, and it feels alot harder for sure!

wec is the **** best fights forsure too bad I get to miss it cause of prom this Saturday

Dude you have to skip prom for this one. just think bring your date(if you have one, sorry if you don't) to your house to watch the fights and then........ pass out drunk. She will love that!

The elbow can also crush bone easier' date=' and it feels alot harder for sure!

Dude you have to skip prom for this one. just think bring your date(if you have one, sorry if you don't) to your house to watch the fights and then........ pass out drunk. She will love that![/quote']

haa **** I wish she hates mma cause I ignore her when it's on

Hey all fans take the time to read my post if you agree or not.

Not to single you out Mike (and I haven't read any further then your reply, 1st page so others might have said the same thing I?m saying now) but elbows are a part of the MMA. While you or others might find them as a cheap win (dirty boxing) that somewhat makes this sport different or more challenging then other pure fighting styles, they are legal for most unified MMA bouts. Using elbows as a weapon to stop a fight is just as legitimate as having the power to KO someone at anytime with one punch or take down and submit at will your opponent, just because your TKO is putting a huge gash into someone?s face that makes them bleed so much the fight is stopped doesn?t make it any less of a win. While it might not seem as technical or as planned as other forms it is just as much a part of the sport that is recognized, accepted, and taught for offense and defense.

I think most of us that follow MMA were kind of shocked to hear the no elbow rule. While the 12 to 6 is a given (which really makes no sense) none at all really turned the advantage for certain fighters and that?s what is wrong. Unified rules are there for a reason so you can train the whole time with a calculated approach and not be caught off guard at the last moment because all of a sudden something you have been training to use is now illegal. Did this rule change really change the fighting style or the outcome of a fight? I don?t think in this instance it did but if continued it will, it?s just a matter of time.

Archived