Should the weigh-ins be done just before entering the cage?

claudiorebelo

Me and my buddies were actually talk about this. They should do weigh-ins like the day of. Kind of rediculous especially now that you have heavyweights actually cutting weight to make weight and coming in the octagon at around 300 lbs.

Why is it ridiculous that heavyweights are coming in that much heavier? It's not like fighters in ALL of the other divisions have not been cutting weight for years.

Weight cutting is an art form. If you can cut 30 pounds and still be dominant for a three or five round fight the next day more power to you. The system in place now if perfect.

i would love to see how Alves fights when his body is so dehydrated after a huge weight cut lol it's a horrible idea because fighters need to rehydrate and replenish and it'll take more than several hours to recooperate ad recover after a weight cut.

When you have fighters walking around at 220' date=' fighting at 185 and getting in the cage at 200, something doesn?t seem right.

CroCop weights the same as some MW and less than some LHW.

Or, Lesnar fighting Couture kind of ruins the purpose of weigh classes.[/quote']

i think before stepping in the cage, i dont think people are open minded enough to explore the possiblity of doing something differently in the sport after years and years of doing it the other way

some people are just physicly more capable of dropping more weight, and i find that those same people will whine and complain about lestard size being his only asset, well stuff like that wouldnt happen if weigh ins where right before entering the cage

i think before stepping in the cage' date=' [b']i dont think people are open minded enough to explore the possiblity of doing something differently in the sport after years and years of doing it the other way[/b]

some people are just physicly more capable of dropping more weight, and i find that those same people will whine and complain about lestard size being his only asset, well stuff like that wouldnt happen if weigh ins where right before entering the cage

thank you sir

I'm no expert but when it comes to doing weigh ins I believe it takes a hell of a lot outta those guys shredding a good 25-30lbs and doing this the day before gives them time to rehydrate their bodies and come in just about as fresh as they can if not they would be soo drained the night of the fights if they weigh in and fought the same day. I think its more about being able to replenish fluids so that they both have a chance to get strong before the fight. Also remember those guys cutting more weight are essentially way more drained and tired as to the guy only peeling 20lbs off. everyone cuts weight and everyone gets 1 day to replenish! so what some guys are big for their weight classes more power to them to be able to pull off that much more weight and still preform at the top notch levels that they do! the system is fine just the way it is you want to wreck things then throw those weigh ins same day as the fight and see how ****ty those fighters look

Yes to same-day weighing. Fighting should be about skill, not whether your body type is predisposed to cutting and regaining weight well. Not to mention: it's bad for the body; they're probably not fighting at 100%; and people are forced into doing it because everyone else is! If everyone stops cutting and fights at their normal weight there are only good consequences all around. If you're really concerned that people's classes will get screwed up, then add 10 or 15 pounds to every class.

What is the logic behind not weighing in the day of the fight? Honestly' date=' I don't know and was wondering.[/quote']

i don't know im sure one way or another it comes down to the dollars, people get on the ufc website and watch, they also get to show off advertizements etc who knows one can only speculate

When you have fighters walking around at 220' date=' fighting at 185 and getting in the cage at 200, something doesn’t seem right.

CroCop weights the same as some MW and less than some LHW.

Or, Lesnar fighting Couture kind of ruins the purpose of weigh classes.[/quote']

There are pro and cons. Someone who cuts that much weight will not be as strong losing alot of weight for at least a couple of days. Sometimes you can even get sick from eating the day before the fight. It's just apart of fighting. In Highschool our dual match weigh-ins were always the same day as the matches. Even the tourmnaments we would have a match the first day and that was right after the weigh-ins. The next day, it was always possible to fight someone much heavier, but strength is always comprimised when starving the body. There are some advantages, but sometimes I'm not sure if it is always worth it. Some can and some can't.

Initially I wasnt open minded to the idea but now I almost wonder whats the point of weiging in if your just going to bloon up the next day? if that makes sense

not saying have bj penn fight lyoto machida or anything oh wait...

now im undecided again maybe weight is slighy overrated, genki sudo beat freaking butterbean...

BUTTERBEAN man BUTTERBEAN!!!

Initially I wasnt open minded to the idea but now I almost wonder whats the point of weiging in if your just going to bloon up the next day? if that makes sense

not saying have bj penn fight lyoto machida or anything oh wait...

now im undecided again maybe weight is slighy overrated' date=' genki sudo beat freaking butterbean...

BUTTERBEAN man BUTTERBEAN!!![/quote']

You hit the nail on the head.

If you are going to have weight classes then have them.

Otherwise don't.

Why have thhem at all?

Wouldn;t that be the SAFEST thing for the fighters? Weigh whatever you want.

I actually think same day weigh-ins would produce more dynamic fights. Fighters would not be as tired if they concentrated on putting as much power on their natural frame as possible, I also think it would also help with longevity of the fighter's career. I understand that cutting weight is truly art v. science and I am not bagging on guys that do it well. They could also have weight classes every 15 or so pounds until 265lbs with an unlimited class, as opposed to three that are separated by 15lbs, then one is 20lbs more, then a 60lb gap; but that is another conversation...

I actually think same day weigh-ins would produce more dynamic fights. Fighters would not be as tired if they concentrated on putting as much power on their natural frame as possible' date=' I also think it would also help with longevity of the fighter's career. I understand that cutting weight is truly art v. science and I am not bagging on guys that do it well. They could also have weight classes every 15 or so pounds until 265lbs with an unlimited class, as opposed to three that are separated by 15lbs, then one is 20lbs more, then a 60lb gap; but that is another conversation...[/quote']

Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Archived