Hendo losing was good for the ufc

JimmyT1222

Here's why: Strikeforce brought in a washed up ufc has been (who couldn't get a contract extension with the ufc) to fight Shields. The very best that SF has to offer this champ was a guy who could no longer hang in the ufc. Then, to top it off, Shields couldn't finish. After mounting Hendo nearly a dozen times, he still couldn't finish. And he's the champ. SF really looks like a joke. I know you sf die hards will disagree, but you have a biased opinion because you have been "branded". I love all mma. Everything Pride used to offer, everything the ufc has to offer, and everything sf has to offer.

I also posted this exact thread on the Strikeforce forum... I'm waiting to be flamed by the sf fans.

Here's why: Strikeforce brought in a washed up ufc has been (who couldn't get a contract extension with the ufc) to fight Shields. The very best that SF has to offer this champ was a guy who could no longer hang in the ufc. Then' date=' to top it off, Shields couldn't finish. After mounting Hendo nearly a dozen times, he still couldn't finish. And he's the champ. SF really looks like a joke. I know you sf die hards will disagree, but you have a biased opinion because you have been "branded". I love all mma. Everything Pride used to offer, everything the ufc has to offer, and everything sf has to offer.

I also posted this exact thread on the Strikeforce forum... I'm waiting to be flamed by the sf fans.[/quote']

Hendo is not washed up. Before the Sheilds fight he was widely regarded as #2 MW in the world. I will agree with you however that strikeforce will not succeed if they keep taking fighters the UFC releases

Here's why: Strikeforce brought in a washed up ufc has been (who couldn't get a contract extension with the ufc) to fight Shields. The very best that SF has to offer this champ was a guy who could no longer hang in the ufc. Then' date=' to top it off, Shields couldn't finish. After mounting Hendo nearly a dozen times, he still couldn't finish. And he's the champ. SF really looks like a joke. I know you sf die hards will disagree, but you have a biased opinion because you have been "branded". I love all mma. Everything Pride used to offer, everything the ufc has to offer, and everything sf has to offer.

I also posted this exact thread on the Strikeforce forum... I'm waiting to be flamed by the sf fans.[/quote']

i cant say hendo couldnt hang in the ufc, i think hendo was just countered hendo is still very good, he has excellent submission defense

your talking out your **** hendo left for more money. He was a top fighter for UFC and lost miserably to SF champ.

Top ufc fighter? He squeaked out a decision to franklin, beat bisping (yippee), and just lost to Shields in what looked like a replay of GSP vs. (fill in the blank here), an absolute domination. Although, Hendo looked good in the first, the following 4 were just sad to watch.

What are you talking about?

Hendo is far from washed up.. Go find him in the rankings before you post crap like this....You should also try read about why he left the UFC...

Also Shields has never been a true fight finisher, so that he could not finish someone like hendo is really not a shock...

SF is still growing and learning, and if dana do not purposly try to ruin it for SF, we will finally get another US MMA organization that actually has some great talen... But i am sorry to say it, but i think SF willl be ended more or less like Pride..

I can't believe anybody actually thinks Hendo isn't washed up. I'm not saying he's terrible. But he doesn't belong in the ufc, and he really just looked old against shields. And thanks for being so pollite in calling my thread "crap". If you like, we can make yet another thread on gsp vs silva. I thought this would make a more interesting debate.

Hendo isn't a horrible fighter. He'd still clean the clocks of the majority of the MW/ LHW division. Is he a top 5 MW, nope. His last showing made him look really bad. I didn't know Shields could wrestle that well, cause i've never seen Hendo get taken down at will like that. Hendo definitely lacks in the jiu jitsu dept. and he was telegraphing everyone of his punches. That may work against a guy like Bisping, but it won't work against a seasoned vet.

I'm not impressed with Shields. Even with the mount he basically just baby slapped Hendo repeatedly. I couldn't believe how lightly he was hitting him.

That card, in general, SUCKED. Moussasi was a HUGE letdown. Just an absolute flat footed joke.

I think henderson is definatly past his prime ( at 40 yrs of age...)

And why was he considered #2 MW in the world? Which middle weights has he beaten? Michael Bisping? He is what MAYBE a 10th ranked MW? Im not saying Henderson is or wasnt good.... but 8 of his his 11 most recent fights went to decision. Henderson use to be great and because of that he is WAY overrated now.

Hendo is a legend & he has been dominating in this sport for YEARS! he has one bad fight & you call him washed up.... wow. Not to mention he was having back problems/spasms, he normally would've finished shields when he dropped him twice not that that is an excuse shields fought a great fight after the first round & I hope to see him in the ufc but he REALLY needs sum1 to help him with his striking.

Hendo is a legend & he has been dominating in this sport for YEARS! he has one bad fight & you call him washed up.... wow. Not to mention he was having back problems/spasms' date=' he normally would've finished shields when he dropped him twice not that that is an excuse shields fought a great fight after the first round & I hope to see him in the ufc but he REALLY needs sum1 to help him with his striking.[/quote']

+1000, I truly don't want to take away anything from Shields but obviously something was wrong with Hendo. He came in and started kicking **** and then gassed in like a minute and was done after that. They did say that he had to cut almost 20 lbs and had a back problem.

Hendo is a legend & he has been dominating in this sport for YEARS! he has one bad fight & you call him washed up.... wow. Not to mention he was having back problems/spasms' date=' he normally would've finished shields when he dropped him twice not that that is an excuse shields fought a great fight after the first round & I hope to see him in the ufc but he REALLY needs sum1 to help him with his striking.[/quote']

i think alot of fighters from pride became washed up when the transist to the ufc

Hendo is not washed up. Before the Sheilds fight he was widely regarded as #2 MW in the world. I will agree with you however that strikeforce will not succeed if they keep taking fighters the UFC releases

That!

BTW, Shields, in my opinion, is probably one of the p4p greatest, above GSP.

i agree that hendo loosing was infact good for the ufc, i mean now that hendo lost in sf they have a high paid fighter (probably higher than shields pay) and nobody to fight him, jason millar and hmm.. nobody. But hendo being washed up? i dont think hes washed up he dropped hijm 2x and just got out wrestled by a way superior grappler thats all. He obviously isnt as good as he once was but being washed up is somebody like colman,

The rankings are a load of crap also, i mean aoki was no2 and it was obvious him going into that fight with melendez he was gonig to loose, Problem with japanese mma is its a martial art vs a martial art rather than mma vs mma, very few of the japanese fighters have an all ronud good mma game. Aoki lost and he lost badly. Florian in my opinion is the number 2 lw in the world. Melendez vs aoki in dream might go in aokis favour because the ring favours gorund game more than the octagon. Also it allows aoki to wear his grappling pants which allow him to get a better hold on the ground. But i still got melendez beating him and taking the dream lw belt.

Your opening sentence was retarded. I don't see why you tell other people they are blind when you are the one being biased. Washed up UFC has been who couldn't get a contract extension? Please how ignorant can you be? This washed up has been left the UFC on a 3 strike win streak and could have easily got a contract extension, just not for as much money as he wanted. And aparrently not being able to finish Hendo is soooooo good for the UFC since only one person in the UFC, who happens to be considered the top P4P fighter in the world, was able to finish him?

I agree for the most part. I think Hendo fought so poorly due to his severe back injury which led to poor conditioning. However, that being said, I think he will improve from the shields fight, sence he essentially fought injured, but will continue to decline from his UFC days.

I don't think his defeat was THAT good for the UFC. Hendo was a legit contendor in the UFC and many rumors were that he was more or less sent to SF, after a big payday from them of course, to dismantle their premier fighters (Shields, Mousasi, Fedor). Having being dominated by a guy seen as being overrated, it makes SF seem much more legit then it did previously.

In hindsight, it was obviously a wise business decision by Dana to let Hendo go and let SF pay the big bucks to bring in an old Hendo. I think the riot at the end of the program will bode disaster for SF much quicker then anything the UFC can do though.

Don't know if he is washed up' date=' but he is definitely on the downslope of his career imo.[/quote']

yea' date=' i kinda agree with op, he beat franklin in a very questionable call, he was very overrated imo. jake shields proved that.[/quote']

He wanted to get paid like a champ. Dana made the right call with him. Hendo needed to win to prove a point but failed badly!

Hendo, if you want to get paid like a champ, then you need to beat a champ.

Silva with no ground game choked him out - Loss to UFC champ.

Shields made him look boring & old for 4 rounds - Loss to SF champ.

All that is left for Hendo is Bully Beat Down.

If Hendo was worth the money he was asking, he would have gotten it. He's not what he used to be. Hendo was having back problems, and was gassed after the first. That sounds like old age. For the people taking offense that I said something negative about Hendo, I'm sorry. I was and would still consider myself a fan of Hendo. But the fact remains, he will never hold a belt in any organization. He did great things for the sport, he's a legend, still has incredible talent. But his time as a top of the pack fighter is over. And it's not 1 bad showing. People that still think he's on top are blinded by the Bisping ko. It's Michael freaking Bisping, not really impressive.

And for anybody that disagreed with me, let's relax with the name calling. You're only proving yourself to be the ignorant one's who can't handle an open and honest discussion. If you disagree with me, tell me why. I want different opinions. I don't expect everybody to agree with everything I say which is why I love this forum. But calling somebodies post crap, or calling them retarded is pointless. Nobody gains anything from that.

Hendo was a number 2 MW easily. He beat Franklin and he is also the only one that has beaten Palharis in the UFC and say what you want about Bisping but prior to Hendo fight Bisping never lost in the MW and was never stopped. He also had the most competiteve fight of anyone with Anderson Silva.

You people should stop calling everyvone washed out just beacuse they came from Pride or other organizations or are not in the UFC anymore. If anything the fight with Shields has proven that Shields indeed is very talented fighter and someone who could give Anderson a better challenge than guys like Leites, Maia, Griffin, Sonnen.

And for the record Cain Velasquez came from SF. If he would be still in there you would all call him "inferior competition" no matter how good he would have looked. How the hell do you guys know that guys like King Mo, Mousasi and so on are not "new Cains"

You should STFU and just enyoy all promotions. This constant nagging how every MMA outside of the UFC sucks is really childish

LOL at Hendo not being able to hang in the UFC. See: Bisping' date=' Michael.[/quote']

LOL At Hendo beating a guy thats not even in the top 10 MW division Bisping is his only finish in the UFC, Either he loses or wins by decision. I WOULD CALL THAT OVERRATED

I can't believe anybody actually thinks Hendo isn't washed up. I'm not saying he's terrible. But he doesn't belong in the ufc' date=' and he really just looked old against shields. And thanks for being so pollite in calling my thread "crap". If you like, we can make yet another thread on gsp vs silva. I thought this would make a more interesting debate.[/quote']

well a lot of people are fans of hendo and when you say that he is washed up then it makes his fans get mad. Oh yeah this thread is crap and full of fail ;)

Archived