The greatest fighter ever in the UFC...

Flyhigher

Nope you seem to be forgetting Art Jimmerson

/ the guy with the single boxing glove from the first UFC

sure he lost but that one boxing glove will be welded to my memory of the first UFC forever and pretty sure every hardcore fan about

the guy is a pure legend

sure he lost but that one boxing glove will be welded to my memory of the first UFC forever and pretty sure every hardcore fan about

the guy is a pure legend

+1

what about Hackney vs Yarborough, such a freak show

Should this title be given to Royce Gracie? He "was" truly an amazing fIghter...

There was nothing amazing about Royce Gracie. And he wasn't even a fighter, but just a jiu-jitsu practitioner, who couldn't throw a punch to save his life. He fought cans.

There was nothing amazing about Royce Gracie. And he wasn't even a fighter' date=' but just a jiu-jitsu practitioner, who couldn't throw a punch to save his life. He fought cans.[/quote']

what else was there to fight back then there was no well roundedness back then well ken shamrock was the cloeset and he was not a good stand up guy

you people need to stop and think about what you are saying. Gracie is probably has the jj ever but is not even close tho the best fighter ever.Shamrock on the other hand is the best at nothing and should not even be mentioned. The best ever right now is Anderson Silva and he is not done. But we have to wait until Silva and Gsp are done to see who is the best ever.

Should this title be given to Royce Gracie? He "was" truly an amazing fIghter...

I would consider Royce to be one of the main Pioneers ever but not the best fighter/Mixed Martial artist. Gracie fought guys much bigger than him and won in ways no one had an answer for. He brought a whole new dimension to the game. How ever he never grew with the sport like so many have. Right now GSP and A. Silva sit at the top. (Although my doubts about Silva grow every time he defends his title as of late.) These are the two most complete Mixed martial artists right now.

chuck liddel

I put Chuck as one of the first and biggest super starts of the sport. A scary striker with phenomenal take down defense. He's fought a lot of top talent and belongs for sure in the top 10 greatest of all time but I would say greatest ever. His biggest draw back is the fact that he only ever wants to knock people out. He needs to concentrate more on a complete game or retire.

the guy is a pure legend

This

I would consider Royce to be one of the main Pioneers ever but not the best fighter/Mixed Martial artist. Gracie fought guys much bigger than him and won in ways no one had an answer for. He brought a whole new dimension to the game. How ever he never grew with the sport like so many have. Right now GSP and A. Silva sit at the top. (Although my doubts about Silva grow every time he defends his title as of late.) These are the two most complete Mixed martial artists right now.

Royce Gracie had a unique style of fighting, and it didn't matter how big or small of a fighter he faced... Gracie won the tournament three times, and he had to fight several guys a in one evening to accomplish this objective... Truly amazing!

There was nothing amazing about Royce Gracie..

Excuse me? Wash your mouth out. The thing that was amazing about Royce was that he had a style that no one knew how to counter or adapt to. It was so unseen. I'm pretty sure in the Art Jimmerson fight, Gracie got full mount and Jimmerson just tapped without even being put in a submission because he did not want to bother.

Not to mention what Royce and the Gracies have done for that sport. Which is what is truely amazing about them.

He may not be the best fighter ever, but you can't say what he has done isn't amazing.

Prepare the flame' date=' but i think Andrerson Silva. He's just amazing when he wants to be.[/quote']

If Im going by record its almost gotta be him or GSP cause they all well rounded and have defended the title for a long time and dominated their divisions respectively. Liddell was great but he has alot of losses now to mostly really good fighters like shogun and rashad and randy but Jardine?? think that ones hurts his legacy plsu the fact that titos held the LHW title the longest of anyone puts him below GSP and Silva

There was nothing amazing about Royce Gracie. And he wasn't even a fighter' date=' but just a jiu-jitsu practitioner, who couldn't throw a punch to save his life. He fought cans.[/quote']

I don't think he fought cans, it was that nobody knew what the hell he was doing to them. I saw a quote from a fighter (I think it was Bas) saying basically that Royce fought with a "baseball bat" (BJJ) but now everyone has a bat.

Keith Hackney had two of the most bizarre fights in the UFC, one against a 600 lb sumo wrestler that he broke his hand on and the Joe Son fight where he TKO'ed the guy by punching him in the sack repeatedly. Those were the good ole days.

To the OP's question, no absolutely not.

Excuse me? Wash your mouth out. The thing that was amazing about Royce was that he had a style that no one knew how to counter or adapt to. It was so unseen. I'm pretty sure in the Art Jimmerson fight' date=' Gracie got full mount and Jimmerson just tapped without even being put in a submission because he did not want to bother.

Not to mention what Royce and the Gracies have done for that sport. Which is what is truely amazing about them.

He may not be the best fighter ever, but you can't say what he has done isn't amazing.[/quote']

I don't anyone that doesn't think Royce was a great fighter hasn't followed this sport very long... He was an amazing fighter...

Not really, you cant really give it too Royce Gracie he was a great grappler and BJJ guy . Matt Hughes has fcked up all the gracies badly AND Royce lost to Ken Shamrock in a stupidly long fight of 30 something minutes. So i cant give him the ultimate prize of best UFC fighter. Matt Hughes has got a pretty amazing record 44-7. The highest Royce got was 8W's in a row. The highes Hughes has is 18 Wins in a row.

Fedor 30+ FRIGGIN Wins in a row.

Not really' date=' you cant really give it too Royce Gracie he was a great grappler and BJJ guy . Matt Hughes has fcked up all the gracies badly AND Royce lost to Ken Shamrock in a stupidly long fight of 30 something minutes. So i cant give him the ultimate prize of best UFC fighter. Matt Hughes has got a pretty amazing record 44-7. The highest Royce got was 8W's in a row. The highes Hughes has is 18 Wins in a row.

Fedor 30+ FRIGGIN Wins in a row.[/quote']

Actually, it's technically 27.

Less if you discount the N/C with Nog.

But he technically lost to Kosaka.

Still impressive, but asking in the UFC.

I said toss up between Chuck and Hughes.

All these people saying Chuck?!?! Really what the hell?!?! One of you has Rashad's knockout by Machida as your avatar and had the nerve to say Chuck really? Evans did the same thing to him! The question was best fighter not the most popular. How the hell can anyone who has been beaten by Jardine by decision, not a lucky KO but a decision where he was out fought by Jardine for 15 minutes be the GOAT? That's just mind boggling.

It's Anderson Silva hands down. He's doing today with his striking what Gracie did with his JJ back in the day. The only difference is striking isn't something that is unknown and un-trained for. Everyone knows about it unlike BJJ back in the day. Not to mention he holds the record for most consecutive wins and title defences in the UFC.

i have to agree with you Shady. I think Liddell is miles off the best too :)

Hes still tough as though, def worth a top 10 maybe top 20 spot in UFC :):)

Top guys hes beaten are

Vitor Belfort (but that was when Vitor was having serious personal issues with his sister going missing)

Guy Mezgar maybe worth noting for a decent guy to beat

Kevin Randleman

Tito Ortiz

Alistair Overeem

Randy couture

But look at the guys hes lost too, seriously............

Hes lost to Keith Jardine

Hes lost to Rampage Jackson Twice (not taking away how tough Rampage is at all)

Randy Couture

Rashad Evans ( i wasnt to impressed with his victory over Thiago Silva)

Mauricio Shogun Rua

He seemed pretty hard out between 1999-2002

then had another stint between 2004-2006

But he seems to fold when faced with Hi class opponents.

Archived