Instant rematches?

PRIDEneverDIED

I am not sure about all of these instant rematches happening in UFC. The road to a championship fight is long in the UFC for most people(some exceptions of course). I didn't mind Shogun getting his rematch because i felt he did clearly win that fight, however BJ clearly lost that fight. i know i know BJ is the best at 155 it'd be a waste of time to have him work his way back to the title but at the same time people have been waiting in line for a while, just because he didn't show up for his fight with Edgar they all should not be penalized. I just don't want this to be a trend for championship fights that go to a decision. is anyone else worried about this trend?

I am not sure about all of these instant rematches happening in UFC. The road to a championship fight is long in the UFC for most people(some exceptions of course). I didn't mind Shogun getting his rematch because i felt he did clearly win that fight' date=' however BJ clearly lost that fight. i know i know BJ is the best at 155 it'd be a waste of time to have him work his way back to the title but at the same time people have been waiting in line for a while, just because he didn't show up for his fight with Edgar they all should not be penalized. I just don't want this to be a trend for championship fights that go to a decision. is anyone else worried about this trend?[/quote']

I did not see the recent Penn/Edgar fight but if it was truly one sided then yes i'm worried as well. The Shogun/Machida fight was anything but one sided and I actually love the idea of the instant rematch in that case. I think it has its place but not in many instances especially after a one sided fight or even a not one sided but still clear victory.

I did not see the recent Penn/Edgar fight but if it was truly one sided then yes i'm worried as well. The Shogun/Machida fight was anything but one sided and I actually love the idea of the instant rematch in that case. I think it has its place but not in many instances especially after a one sided fight or even a not one sided but still clear victory.

The thing is, Shogun/Machida was not one sided at all but it was a close fight and i think everyone wants to see the rematch just to tie up loose ends. however Penn/Edgar wasnt COMPLETELY one sided at all BUT if Penn beat Edgar in that fight i think everyone would have cried Shogun and then the instant rematch would be somewhat ok.In this case its an amazingly talented fighter in BJ Penn that once again took his opponent lightly and ended up losing his belt, i see no reason for an instant rematch here and BJ is one of my favorites.

I am not sure about all of these instant rematches happening in UFC. The road to a championship fight is long in the UFC for most people(some exceptions of course). I didn't mind Shogun getting his rematch because i felt he did clearly win that fight' date=' however BJ clearly lost that fight. i know i know BJ is the best at 155 it'd be a waste of time to have him work his way back to the title but at the same time people have been waiting in line for a while, just because he didn't show up for his fight with Edgar they all should not be penalized. I just don't want this to be a trend for championship fights that go to a decision. is anyone else worried about this trend?[/quote']

Clearly lost? the only rounds he lost CLEARLY were 4/5. If you watch the first three rounds most of frankies strikes dont land, he tried to take it to the ground a few times and kept getting stuffed and punished for it, imo BJ won the first 2 rounds, third was close then lost 4/5, with Judges scoring it 50-45, its retarded. ALSO it was BJ penn's first loss at lightweight in 8 years. If there is anyone that deserves a shot at that title in the light weight div it is BJ.

IF he loses twice to Frankie, imagine how long and hard of a road he will have to get back to a title shot.

IF he loses twice to Frankie' date=' imagine how long and hard of a road he will have to get back to a title shot.[/quote']

when GSP lost to Serra(granted it was a KO not a close decision) he had to beat Kos and Hughes before he got to fight him again. like i said before i am a huge BJ Penn fan but i can admit Edgar edged out a decision against him. Hell i sold Edgar out as soon as i saw he was fighting Penn i gave him no chance i thought Penn would finish him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he just looked off point it happens to the best. Would it really be that hard to have BJ prove himself again in the LW division? i don't think so, so have him do it. Let's not act like we haven't seen BJ get upset before because he takes his opponent to lightly, why reward him for that?

when GSP lost to Serra(granted it was a KO not a close decision) he had to beat Kos and Hughes before he got to fight him again. like i said before i am a huge BJ Penn fan but i can admit Edgar edged out a decision against him. Hell i sold Edgar out as soon as i saw he was fighting Penn i gave him no chance i thought Penn would finish him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he just looked off point it happens to the best. Would it really be that hard to have BJ prove himself again in the LW division? i don't think so' date=' so have him do it.[/quote']

The only reason GSP even got to fight Hughes after Kosckeck was because Serra was injured. Had Serra not have injured himself GSP may have had to win a few more fights still.

I can understand the Machida vs. Shogun rematch, but not so much with BJ vs. Edgar. Don't get me wrong, I really like BJ a lot, but he should have to win a few more fights in a row to have another shot at the title. By then it will probably be someone else.

He just fricken lost decisively to edgar. he got beat up. why would someone who just lost to that person get a fricken rematch? i mean, HE JUST LOST, he isnt going to beat him if he just lost to him. i understand the machida rua deal, but not edgar vs penn. i know there isnt anyone for penn to fight at lw. but still someone else should be able to get a shot. grey maynard shouldnt have to mess with ken doll. hell let george fight for it. anyone but penn. he dosnt belong in the lightweight. even if he did beat edgar this time, there isnt anyone besides edgar that can beat him. so will there just be rematch after rematch? penn and edgar fighting each other time after time? penn needs to stop being a ***** and move up.

exactly..plus he did not win decisively..do u even know what that word means bro...it was a controversial decision and the judge actually is in deep waters with the commision

wasn't controversial and the judge is in trouble because of comments he made on the interwebs not because of his judging.

The Shogun/Macheata fight was controversial.

The reffing in the Ortiz/Griffin 2 fight was controversial

The reffing in the Edgar/Penn fight was ok.

wasn't controversial and the judge is in trouble because of comments he made on the interwebs not because of his judging.

The Shogun/Macheata fight was controversial.

The reffing in the Ortiz/Griffin 2 fight was controversial

The reffing in the Edgar/Penn fight was ok.

well that shows the true character of the judge...sorry man 2 give all rounds 2 edgar 50-45 thats controversial

well that shows the true character of the judge...sorry man 2 give all rounds 2 edgar 50-45 thats controversial

I wont lie the scoring was definitely a little suspect but this does not take away from the fact that he still did enough to get the decision. 50-45 is ridiculous but i still feel Frankie won that fight(coming from a BJ fan).

Honestly i think the judges in the UFC are all a joke and the biggest problem with the organization. how long as the UFC been around saying "dont let it go to the judges you never know"' date=' thats BS get good judges so we do know.[/quote']

I can't believe I'm going to have to point this out yet again. The judges don't work for the UFC, they are supplied by the sanctioning body. They do this so that the company can't tell judges to score a certain way in order to keep their jobs. MMA judging is very flawed, but it is no fault of the UFCs, SF's or any other fight company.

I can't believe I'm going to have to point this out yet again. The judges don't work for the UFC' date=' they are supplied by the sanctioning body. They do this so that the company can't tell judges to score a certain way in order to keep their jobs. MMA judging is very flawed, but it is no fault of the UFCs, SF's or any other fight company.[/quote']

i think it is their fault if it is very flawed and all organizations aren't busting their a** to get something changed. At this point i think it would be a better idea to give a keypad to the audience and have them vote it would prolly be about as good as the judges are right now.

i think it is their fault if it is very flawed and all organizations aren't busting their a** to get something changed. At this point i think it would be a better idea to give a keypad to the audience and have them vote it would prolly be about as good as the judges are right now.

Kindly explain to me how it is their fault that the sanctioning body from any given state is responsible to provide ref's and judges for any MMA event in said state? The sanctioning body is a government regulated body, and has nothing to do with any of the fight companies. Dana White has begged numerous times to try and get things changed, but what happens when you try to fight government? I agree using boxing judges, and refs for MMA makes about as much sense as hiring a baker to build your house. We also need to take into consideration that the 10 point must system doesn't translate 100% to MMA from boxing, and before we get down on all the judges they are scoring fights based on the point system put in front of them. The entire system is flawed, and should be reworked. But I place blame where blame is due, and imo the blame falls on the sanctioning body for not having a MMA section of refs and judges.

Kindly explain to me how it is their fault that the sanctioning body from any given state is responsible to provide ref's and judges for any MMA event in said state? The sanctioning body is a government regulated body' date=' and has nothing to do with any of the fight companies. Dana White has begged numerous times to try and get things changed, but what happens when you try to fight government? I agree using boxing judges, and refs for MMA makes about as much sense as hiring a baker to build your house. We also need to take into consideration that the 10 point must system doesn't translate 100% to MMA from boxing, and before we get down on all the judges they are scoring fights based on the point system put in front of them. The entire system is flawed, and should be reworked. But I place blame where blame is due, and imo the blame falls on the sanctioning body for not having a MMA section of refs and judges.[/quote']

for once someone has actually kindly and insightfully taught me something here. I knew they get their judges from sanctioning bodies but i was not aware of all the actions by Dana and the organization to make changes. I too believe the whole system is flawed, but it beats watching golf. the question is do you believe BJ should get an instant rematch?

for once someone has actually kindly and insightfully taught me something here. I knew they get their judges from sanctioning bodies but i was not aware of all the actions by Dana and the organization to make changes. I too believe the whole system is flawed' date=' but it beats watching golf.[/quote']

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules

This is the rule set and judging criteria the US promotions basically have to follow to get sanctioned by the State Athletic Commisions.

I'm sure Dana and the UFC would like to see some tweaking, but government bodies aren't very open to change.

for once someone has actually kindly and insightfully taught me something here. I knew they get their judges from sanctioning bodies but i was not aware of all the actions by Dana and the organization to make changes. I too believe the whole system is flawed' date=' but it beats watching golf. the question is do you believe BJ should get an instant rematch?[/quote']

I don't know sometimes golf can be pretty fun to watch! Didn't you hear Tiger banged like 600 chicks behind his wifes back! Anyway back to MMA. I'm not a fan of the instant rematch unless the fight was so close either guy could have been given the W. The Shogun/Machida fight should be an instant rematch and I agree with it. As for the Penn/Edgar instant rematch I'm really still not 100% sure how I feel about it. Watching the fight I thought Edgar won 10/10 times if it was a 3 round non-title fight, and I do feel he won the fight I was just surprised to see the judges agree'd with me. He was the clear aggresor, and brought the fight to BJ, while BJ seemed off from some reason and was only looking for the counter strike. I don't think it matters if BJ got the instant rematch or not imo the belt is his once he wants it again, so why not let him have his rematch as that is probably the easiest PPV sell at this point. The only other guy mentioned for Edgar has been Maynard and he isn't exactly the most exciting fighter to watch so from a business standpoint the rematch makes sense. Have Florian/Maynard fight for a #1 Contender spot, which I hear is booked, and away we go.

I've never been a fan of a rematch title fight. I don't even agree with the SHogun rematch. They lost, bad decision or not. If they are that good they will walk through their next opponent and be right back in line for a title.

As a paying customer I don't feel the need to spend money on a fight that Ijust watched a month or two ago. If Shogun or Penn wins a close decision in the rematch. Then what a third fight in a row? Bleh.

I don't know sometimes golf can be pretty fun to watch! Didn't you hear Tiger banged like 600 chicks behind his wifes back! Anyway back to MMA. I'm not a fan of the instant rematch unless the fight was so close either guy could have been given the W. The Shogun/Machida fight should be an instant rematch and I agree with it. As for the Penn/Edgar instant rematch I'm really still not 100% sure how I feel about it. Watching the fight I thought Edgar won 10/10 times if it was a 3 round non-title fight' date=' and I do feel he won the fight I was just surprised to see the judges agree'd with me. He was the clear aggresor, and brought the fight to BJ, while BJ seemed off from some reason and was only looking for the counter strike. I don't think it matters if BJ got the instant rematch or not imo the belt is his once he wants it again, so why not let him have his rematch as that is probably the easiest PPV sell at this point. The only other guy mentioned for Edgar has been Maynard and he isn't exactly the most exciting fighter to watch so from a business standpoint the rematch makes sense. Have Florian/Maynard fight for a #1 Contender spot, which I hear is booked, and away we go.[/quote']

yea anyone but Maynard, I just dont want champions thinking they get a rematch if they dont get finished or finish the fight. I'd almost like to see Guida fight for the title against someone before it gets back to BJ, Guida has heart and he is Dana's go to guy to test someone's heart as a fighter. I think Guida is a good guy, entertaining fighter, and ready and willing to fight anyone. Ok he probably doesnt deserve a shot right now at all but i think he deserves the belt once in his career.

yea anyone but Maynard' date=' I just dont want champions thinking they get a rematch if they dont get finished or finish the fight. I'd almost like to see Guida fight for the title against someone before it gets back to BJ, Guida has heart and he is Dana's go to guy to test someone's heart as a fighter. I think Guida is a good guy, entertaining fighter, and ready and willing to fight anyone. Ok he probably doesnt deserve a shot right now at all but i think he deserves the belt once in his career.[/quote']

Walmart has a big selection of belts

I wont lie the scoring was definitely a little suspect but this does not take away from the fact that he still did enough to get the decision. 50-45 is ridiculous but i still feel Frankie won that fight(coming from a BJ fan).

Many of the fighters who were their live, as well as commentators thought BJ penn won rounds 1,2,3...

So with so many people torn by this decision THAT MAKES IT CONTROVERSIAL

Archived