Another Dan Henderson thread

KungFuMaster

I cannot believe last night when Shields defeated Henderson. Personally, I still think Dan is the better and more talented fighter but for some reason he failed and failed miserably. I blame his corner and his tactics coming into this fight. After the 3rd round, the corner should have told Dan to take Shields to the ground. I cannot believe throughout the whole fight Dan was intent on standing and knocking Shields out. Dan has good ground and pound and should have utilized it.

Some of you will say "Yeah, but that would put Hendo into Shields' guard where he can be submitted. Still, that would have been a better option after seeing two rounds of being taking down and mounted.

Pour tactic and pour advice from the corner.

dan is a better fighter. he just didnt train hard for this i dont think. he, and everyone around him, including cbs, pretty much thought this fight was all hendo. he counted on the right fist to much. he dropped jake in the first, but once jake started to control him, he lost confidence, started to gas, ect ect. he will be back i hope better then ever

could be a lot of factors that Dan couldn't perform. Apparently he dropped more weight than usual to get in the cage. Add that with the fact he is 39, and it makes it hard to perform 100 pecent. I have seen just about every Henderson fight, and by far, he looked old this time. Maybe another night he would whoop Shields butt, but not that night.

I cannot believe last night when Shields defeated Henderson. Personally' date=' I still think Dan is the better and more talented fighter but for some reason he failed and failed miserably. I blame his corner and his tactics coming into this fight. After the 3rd round, the corner should have told Dan to take Shields to the ground. I cannot believe throughout the whole fight Dan was intent on standing and knocking Shields out. Dan has good ground and pound and should have utilized it.

Some of you will say "Yeah, but that would put Hendo into Shields' guard where he can be submitted. Still, that would have been a better option after seeing two rounds of being taking down and mounted.

Pour tactic and pour advice from the corner.[/quote']

Dan has never been a better fighter than Shields.

He is basically a brawler, whereas Shileds is technically spectacular.

As far as Hendo taking Shields down - I asume you are being funny. Thre was nothing on the ground for HEndo but destruction.

He is basically a brawler' date=' whereas Shileds is technically spectacular.

As far as Hendo taking Shields down - I asume you are being funny. Thre was nothing on the ground for HEndo but destruction.[/quote']

I am not sure what you mean about being funny. I am talking about Hendo taking Shields down and ground and pound.

Dan was way too comfortable going in to this fight, imho i think he gassed fairly quickly. He overlooked Shields more than Penn overlooked Edgar. Personally i think he needed to get KTFO his head got so god damn big after the Bisping fight. Hopefully hes grounded now and will regain his winning ways

He gave it a try. It just wasn't there.

Do you think maybe theres a reason Shields has won 14 in a row?

He is obviously champ for a reason. I am taking nothign from Shields.

I am basically disgusted at the strategy from Hendo's corner. Like I stated before, I would have had hendo press the action and take Shields down rather than relying on the stand up.

For 4 rounds, Henderson and his corner did not change a darn thing, which really pissed me off. How about taking Shields down for a change?

Anway, great fight for Shields. He climbed and conquered Mt. Everest last night.

Henderson proved how one dimensional he really is.When Shields took him down,Henderson looked like an amateur.If Henderson took Shields down he would of gotten reversed or submitted.I think everyone highly under estimates the ability of Shields.If Henderson had to cut weight at the last minute that his his fault.He had plenty of time to make the weight and has no excuses.I am not a King Mo fan,but he will take Henderson down at will.I honestly think if Shields wanted that fight,he would be able to win the LHW belt in Strikeforce.Shields will be in the UFC when his contract is up.

could be a lot of factors that Dan couldn't perform. Apparently he dropped more weight than usual to get in the cage. Add that with the fact he is 39' date=' and it makes it hard to perform 100 pecent. I have seen just about every Henderson fight, and by far, he looked old this time. Maybe another night he would whoop Shields butt, but not that night.[/quote']

He has had a long time to get to that weight, so no excuses can be given there. I agree with the OP he shoudl ahve took Shields down and pounded him. It is a mistake at not doing that and allowing Shields to take him down over and over. Shields is younger and stronger.

As sad as it makes me, Dan looked like exactly what he is. A 39 year old fighter in the downward end of his career.

He is 3-3 since Pride and I thought Franklin won their fight as well. If Bisping wasn't such a retard and constantly circled right into Hendo's wheel house he most likely would have lost that fight on points as well.

Its sad to see the greats age, but like one of my other favorites Chuck Liddell, there comes a time where maybe you need to hung them up. These guys all see that genetic freak Randy Couture and think they to can fight until they are 80.

He is basically a brawler' date=' whereas Shileds is technically spectacular.

As far as Hendo taking Shields down - I asume you are being funny. Thre was nothing on the ground for HEndo but destruction.[/quote']

your ****ing retarted have you ever seen any of dans other fights big nog couldnt sub henderson and also sheilds hits like a girl

You act like Hendo could just walk in and take Shields down without a problem. Though Shields' amatuer wrestling credentials aren't as good as Hendo, his pro in ring cred is legit. He is every bit as good an MMA wrestler that Hendo is, and add a Cesar Gracie Black Belt to that, and Hendo's only shot was the KO.

Hendo is just the same as he always has been, but the rest of the field has caught and passed him, period. He can gravy train off of Sonnen and the rest of Team Quest and he will still pull viewers to Strikeforce from the hardcore fanbase, but his career as a top flight, top of the ladder fighter is over.

And he wanted to fight Silva again, I bet his fans are glad that actually never happened now!

Intersting comments from Hendo

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18790/no-excuses-from-dan-henderson-credits-strikeforce-champ-jake-shields-game-plan-2.mma

"I got a lot of flack for hitting someone when [fans] thought he was done in my last fight," Henderson said of the Bisping bout. "I went to jump on top of [shields] and didn't quite crack him very good, and the fight kept going. He won the fight.

What a complete cop out excuse on his part for two completely different situations.

He admitted to the fact that he knew Bisping was out but dropped the elbow for good measure out of spite.

If that is going to be his route, blame the fans reaction to his poor sportsmanship in an unrelated fight several months ago, then it truly is his time to go!

Shields won because he is better, smarter, and more technically skilled, period. He was the smaller guy and fought the right gameplan and earned his victory, now Hendo once again shows his true nature.

Hendo is a bum.

You act like Hendo could just walk in and take Shields down without a problem. Though Shields' amatuer wrestling credentials aren't as good as Hendo' date=' his pro in ring cred is legit. He is every bit as good an MMA wrestler that Hendo is, and add a Cesar Gracie Black Belt to that, and Hendo's only shot was the KO.

Hendo is just the same as he always has been, but the rest of the field has caught and passed him, period. He can gravy train off of Sonnen and the rest of Team Quest and he will still pull viewers to Strikeforce from the hardcore fanbase, but his career as a top flight, top of the ladder fighter is over.

And he wanted to fight Silva again, I bet his fans are glad that actually never happened now![/quote']

I am one of those who wished Dan to have another crack at Silva, but after Saturday's performance, I don't know what to say anymore. I am still a fan though; I just won't be bragging about Hendo anymore.

Anyway, regardidng the Shields' fight, going into the 4th round, how can you not ask Dan to take Jake to the ground after being taken down and mounted for two rounds. Are you saying if you were in Hendo's corner, you wouldn't have told him to do anything different. That is where I disagree with you and Hendo's corner.

How can you not change plans after being taken down and mounted for two straight rounds, going into the 4th? Dan has great takedowns and good ground and pound. I would have told him, going into the 4th round, to take Shields to the ground. Dan's Greco-Roman Wrestling could easily win the clinch war and put Shields on the mat.

In my opinion i think Hendo is overrated' date=' I've said it all along.[/quote']

I was just going to say he was a Pride and Tournament Champion. But I think Wikipedia says it better:

1990 Espoir Nationals champion

1990 Junior Nationals double champion

1990–91 U.S. Olympic Festival champion

1991 & 1993–94 University Nationals champion

1992 Final Olympic Wrestle-off champion

1992 Olympic Team Trials champion

1992 Western Regional Olympic Trials champion

1993–94 World Team Trials champion

1993–94 U.S. Nationals champion

1996 West Regional Olympic Trials champion

1988 Espoir Nationals (2nd)

1995 World Team Trials (3rd)

1991 U.S. Nationals (3rd)

1992 U.S. Nationals (5th)

1990 University Nationals (4th)

1989 Espoir Nationals (5th)

1996 U.S. Nationals (6th)

1990 U.S. Nationals (7th)

* International

1995 Sunkist International Open champion

1994 World Cup (2nd)

1994 Pan American Championships (2nd)

1991 Concord Cup (3rd)

1995 Pan American Games (3rd)

1994 German Grand Prix (4th)

1993 German Grand Prix (7th)

1992 Olympics (10th)

1994 U.S. World team member

[edit] Mixed martial arts

* Pride FC

Pride FC Middleweight championship

Pride FC Welterweight championship

2005 PRIDE Welterweight Grand Prix Tournament Winner

* Ultimate Fighting Championship

UFC 17 Middleweight Tournament Winner

Knockout of the Night Honors

* RINGS

RINGS King of Kings 1999 Tournament Winner

* Brazil Open Fight

Brazil Open 1997 Lightweight Tournament Winner

* World MMA Awards

Knockout of the Year (2009)

Highly rated..yes

Over-rated...probably not.

I was just going to say he was a Pride and Tournament Champion. But I think Wikipedia says it better:

1990 Espoir Nationals champion

1990 Junior Nationals double champion

1990?91 U.S. Olympic Festival champion

1991 & 1993?94 University Nationals champion

1992 Final Olympic Wrestle-off champion

1992 Olympic Team Trials champion

1992 Western Regional Olympic Trials champion

1993?94 World Team Trials champion

1993?94 U.S. Nationals champion

1996 West Regional Olympic Trials champion

1988 Espoir Nationals (2nd)

1995 World Team Trials (3rd)

1991 U.S. Nationals (3rd)

1992 U.S. Nationals (5th)

1990 University Nationals (4th)

1989 Espoir Nationals (5th)

1996 U.S. Nationals (6th)

1990 U.S. Nationals (7th)

* International

1995 Sunkist International Open champion

1994 World Cup (2nd)

1994 Pan American Championships (2nd)

1991 Concord Cup (3rd)

1995 Pan American Games (3rd)

1994 German Grand Prix (4th)

1993 German Grand Prix (7th)

1992 Olympics (10th)

1994 U.S. World team member

[edit] Mixed martial arts

* Pride FC

Pride FC Middleweight championship

Pride FC Welterweight championship

2005 PRIDE Welterweight Grand Prix Tournament Winner

* Ultimate Fighting Championship

UFC 17 Middleweight Tournament Winner

Knockout of the Night Honors

* RINGS

RINGS King of Kings 1999 Tournament Winner

* Brazil Open Fight

Brazil Open 1997 Lightweight Tournament Winner

* World MMA Awards

Knockout of the Year (2009)

Highly rated..yes

Over-rated...probably not.

dan-henderson-713763.jpg

I thought his wrestling was a lot better than that' date=' I will admit that.:eek:[/quote']

Greco roman is about stand up grappling. It translates into dirty boxing but not into bjj.

Shields is the best in the business - with all due respect to gsp and silva and whoever else.

For all these people saying Hendo should have taken Shields down, no. Hendo should have stuffed the takedown and beat shileds standing.

Like Mousasi he didn;t seem to really try all that hard to avoid the TD.

Greco roman is about stand up grappling. It translates into dirty boxing but not into bjj.

Shields is the best in the business - with all due respect to gsp and silva and whoever else.

For all these people saying Hendo should have taken Shields down' date=' no. Hendo should have stuffed the takedown and beat shileds standing.

Like Mousasi he didn;t seem to really try all that hard to avoid the TD.[/quote']

Cagerattler, you seemed to misunderstand the topic and primary point of the thread.

I congratulate Shields....Let's get that out of the way.

Hendo's corner did not offer any other options for their fighter, which is why I am pissed off. The fight could have taken a dramatic turn if Hendo had stopped pursuing the KO and went for take downs himself making it a wrestling match.

Hendo taking down Shileds is silly.

The idea is actually funny.

On their 2nd match Brock goes down on the ground with Mir, wherein Mir is very dangeorus. But Brock GnP Mir on Mir's homecourt.

As what the Fedor ****s used to say here, Fedor goes down with Big Nog on the ground and beat him, Big Nog is a million times dangerous that Shields on the ground, but as what I've said before, Fedor ****s might have a point when they say Fedor beat Big Nog at his own game.

On their 2nd match Brock goes down on the ground with Mir' date=' wherein Mir is very dangeorus. But Brock GnP Mir on Mir's homecourt.

As what the Fedor ****s used to say here, Fedor goes down with Big Nog on the ground and beat him, Big Nog is a million times dangerous that Shields on the ground, but as what I've said before, Fedor ****s might have a point when they say Fedor beat Big Nog at his own game.[/quote']

I understand that you are trying to make a point, but no, Big Nog is not more dangerous on the ground than Shields, and Dan Henderson is not a ground fighter and never has been while FEdor is the finest ground fighter on the planet.

So once again Raffy....

I understand that you are trying to make a point' date=' but no, Big Nog is not more dangerous on the ground than Shields, and Dan Henderson is not a ground fighter and never has been while FEdor is the finest ground fighter on the planet.

So once again Raffy....[/quote']

You mean Shields is dangerous than Big Nog on the ground? I'm not even a Big Nog fan, but you're a funny guy.

And Fedor the finest ground fighter on the planet, I think Rogers dominated him on the ground.

You mean Shields is dangerous than Big Nog on the ground? I'm not even a Big Nog fan' date=' but you're a funny guy.

And Fedor the finest ground fighter on the planet, I think Rogers dominated him on the ground.[/quote']

As right as you are on the first part, you are completely wrong on the second.

You mean Shields is dangerous than Big Nog on the ground? I'm not even a Big Nog fan' date=' but you're a funny guy.

And Fedor the finest ground fighter on the planet, I think Rogers dominated him on the ground.[/quote']

Rogers got in a few shots, but also avoided maybe three sub attepts and finally stood up and ran away - which was very wise.

Jake Shields just showed you how easily he can control an MMA LEGEND on the ground - and you;'re still here shooting off your ignorant mouth?

Do you think its EASY to mount Dan Henderson in a title fight?

Because Shields did it easily.

Rogers got in a few shots' date=' but also avoided maybe three sub attepts and finally stood up and ran away - which was very wise.

Jake Shields just showed you how easily he can control an MMA LEGEND on the ground - and you;'re still here shooting off your ignorant mouth?

[b']Do you think its EASY to mount Dan Henderson in a title fight?[/b]

Because Shields did it easily.

Rampage is on top of Hendo and control him for the whole 5 rds, does Rampage have the world class wrestling skills?

Archived