What is the mark of a truer fan?

NotchEight

Reading through this forum it's pretty evident that there is a fair amount of bandwagon jumping. Both on and off. So I pose this question to you all and would like to gather your opinions. What is the mark of a truer fan? A person that gets pissed off when their fighter loses, or a person that is just happy when their fighter wins? Reasons?

Personally I think the mark of a truer fan is someone that gets pissed when their fighter loses. You don't lose faith in a fighter because of one or two losses. People put these guys on a pedestal and elevate them to super-hero status then trash them when they lose. No man is going to win every single fight of his career, so when they do it's not that they've been riding easy fights or are one dimensional fighters. They've just been bested by someone else on fight night.

Reading through this forum it's pretty evident that there is a fair amount of bandwagon jumping. Both on and off. So I pose this question to you all and would like to gather your opinions. What is the mark of a truer fan? A person that gets pissed off when their fighter loses' date=' or a person that is just happy when their fighter wins? Reasons?

Personally I think the mark of a truer fan is someone that gets pissed when their fighter loses. You don't lose faith in a fighter because of one or two losses. People put these guys on a pedestal and elevate them to super-hero status then trash them when they lose. No man is going to win every single fight of his career, so when they do it's not that they've been riding easy fights or are one dimensional fighters. They've just been bested by someone else on fight night.[/quote']

+10 but I bealive most of the people are just bandwagoners who stick to the guys that are undefeated and as soon as they lose they go to another fighter.

My favourite fighters are have always been Crocop, Wandy and Shogun and I will remain their fan even if they lose their next 10 fights. And I still like Mousasi I bealive he has a great style to watch

Who cares about this "true fan" BS. I don't follow MMA to impress other people.

Honestly I don't understand why a fan should be "loyal" to a fighter they will never know. Sure, I like watching certain fighters, but I don't get dejected, bitter or go through denial when they lose. I watch the sport because I like seeing how people with different strengths match up.

Reading through this forum it's pretty evident that there is a fair amount of bandwagon jumping. Both on and off. So I pose this question to you all and would like to gather your opinions. What is the mark of a truer fan? A person that gets pissed off when their fighter loses' date=' or a person that is just happy when their fighter wins? Reasons?

Personally I think the mark of a truer fan is someone that gets pissed when their fighter loses. You don't lose faith in a fighter because of one or two losses. People put these guys on a pedestal and elevate them to super-hero status then trash them when they lose. No man is going to win every single fight of his career, so when they do it's not that they've been riding easy fights or are one dimensional fighters. They've just been bested by someone else on fight night.[/quote']

do you realy care if people bandwagon? why cant people choose who they want to like without someone hating on them. not everyone can be "the truer fan" like you are i'm sure

do you realy care if people bandwagon? why cant people choose who they want to like without someone hating on them. not everyone can be "the truer fan" like you are i'm sure

You misunderstand the meaning of my post. The intent was not to call anyone out for being a fake fan. It was to gauge people's feelings on how they interpret the sport and how one defines themselves as a fan. For example. I'm from Houston and the Texans and Rockets don't fare so well in their respective leagues. I consider myself a true fan of each team because I don't bash them when they lose, I get upset when they do. I don't flit back and forth between my allegiances when they win and lose. This was the meaning of my original post.

If you enjoy MMA' date=' you are a true fan. Fans don't need to prove themselves.[/quote']

hey you better prove yourself or dana will come to your house and put you in a guillotine until you promise to buy every ppv for the next ten years.

that or god will send you directly to hell, this kinda stuff just happens

I am still a big Aoki fan myself, even though he looked pitiful last night. :D

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know what makes a 'true' fan, but we are all fans because why else would we be on a ufc forum? for the fighters i like, i watch them and hope they win, and if they don't, well i hope they learn from it and come back stronger, however, i do believe that when a fighter you follow loses, no matter how controversial the loss, you can be upset for a few days but then you need to deal with the fact that the result will stand, hope their fighter gets a rematch and that they do that bit more in that fight to be sure the decision is the one they want, i also think the way a judge scores each round ( effective striking, grappling, aggresion and octagon control) leaves to much of a margin of interpritation, so bad decisions can happen

what is this wwe? im a fan of the sport, sure i have my fav styles of fighters but im not really into this bandwagon stuff. its mma not a popularity contest. if machida beats rua..or rua beats machida i dont really care, aslong as they both fight well and both fight again...it makes no difference to me who's the champ. people always redicule people and say go back to watching wwe...these are the same people that are caught up in the 'stone cold vs the rock' pick a hero to win thing. Balls to that...good fighters and good fights is what its about.

Who cares about this "true fan" BS. I don't follow MMA to impress other people.

Honestly I don't understand why a fan should be "loyal" to a fighter they will never know. Sure' date=' I like watching certain fighters, but I don't get dejected, bitter or go through denial when they lose. I watch the sport because I like seeing how people with different strengths match up.[/quote']

I see what you mean but let's think about it for a sec. With futbol / football / baseball / basketball there are ppl who are die hard fans that have never met people on these teams.

Then there are ppl who just enjoy a good football game regardless of who is playing.

Neither are wrong.

I see what you mean but let's think about it for a sec. With futbol / football / baseball / basketball there are ppl who are die hard fans that have never met people on these teams.

Then there are ppl who just enjoy a good football game regardless of who is playing.

Neither are wrong.

whats futbol? seriously ive never heard of it. Its true what you say but normally with a team sport you have your home town team, grow up with it and its bred into you...and you dont normally follow the players as they transfer so much...fighters from all over the world its seen differently. I love football, i have my team and if they lose im gutted if they win im happy but whoever plays for them i'll support cos they are part of the team. so although you have a good point its just a bit of a difference.

Leben is still my favourite fighter. And after everything he's been through in and out of the cage then I suppose I am a true fan.

cripplerfan...who's the crippler? just interested cos ive never heard of him...but i should think there's plenty of fighters ive not heard of to be honest lol

if you watch a fighter come up and then another fighter whoops his **** i think its natural that people start following that fighter. they just seen their idol get crushed and they are so amazed and hurt they just start thinking how bad **** that new guy really is ..im start watching him .. natural for fans to be amazed and supporter of someone thats new or old but is progressing in the sport ... even at high speeds its hard not to notice an quickly become a fan cause you been hyped for so many years and times ... but then your new guy loses so then your like whatever i still got this guy and this guy and this guy to like .. its alla part of being a fan .. now a nutthugger is different though

had to ask cos for a minute i thought you were referring to chris benoit lol...which would've been very bad taste. leben is funny' date=' he wasnt happy when they soaked him in the garden when he was asleep...i loved his reaction[/quote']

Yes it would have been in pretty bad taste had I been talking about Benoit, glad you asked rather than asuming I was a ******.

When Serra beat GSP is was pissed beyond belief. I was really kind of confused and unsure what had happened. Like I couldnt comprehend it. I had to take a lot of $hit from people who I was explaining to that GSP was going to be the best fighter ever soon. They all laughed at me, but I told them he would be back.

Now I just wanna see him get a standing KO or TKO so people will stop doubting him. I dont think hes boring, but a lot of people do and I want them to see the old exciting GSP. If he fights Shields we will see his top notch stand up again.

Sorry Im not trying to make this a GSP thread I just started rambling.

a so called "true fan" watches every UFC not just the big names, and stands behind their favorite fighters win or lose

a true fan never admits that his fighter won by a crooked decision even if that fighter got the holly motherf*cking sh*t beat out of him for 5 rounds !! * cough * machida * cough*

This, haha.

People keep going on about jumping on the bandwagon, how do you actually become a fan of a fighter then?? I became a big fan of Chuck Liddell by what people would class as jumping on his bandwagon when I first got into UFC but people generally are fans of 1 or 2 fighters - having an opinion on whoever else no matter what it is is fair game IMO.

I dont think you'll see many if any fans of a fighter stop liking him after a loss - look at Wandy, probably the most popular fighter on here.

to me a true mma fan is someone who truly enjoys watching most, if not all, fights....of course some fights are going to be less interesting.

and the difference between a true fan of a fighter and a bandwagon fan is simple.....just talk to them.

-a bandwagon fan will know the basic info and stats.

-a true fan of a certain fighter will have more in depth knowledge due to interest over time.

so basically, understanding and knowledge of a fighter is a mark of a truer fan.

i also think a fighter can "grow on" a bandwagon over time and some where down the line support the fighter for better or worst.....so don't knock the bandwagon fan there is a reason the come on board.....the interest, of course.

Look at my list of favorites; 3 out of 6 of them have lost their most recent fights. In Tito's case he hasn't won since 2006.

The mark of a true fan is someone who likes a fighter. If you switch from "He's awesome" to "He sucks" on every fight, then yeah, you're bandwagon jumping. But even there, if you prefer to cheer for winners only, that makes you a fan too, just not a very loyal one.

Archived