Scoring system should be changed

Twisted_Mind

Damage over control...

How can you win a fight, where you just hold the guy on the ground and get your face smashed while doing it? If your opponent does a lot of damage to you from the ground and you dont do any to him, how the hell you are winning the fight?

This scoring system favoreds wrestlers and thus it causes a lot more boring fights... However if it would be changed to damage over control, it would give new strategies for ground fighting and could eliminate decision grinding lnp tactics.

Ground fighting doesnt have to be boring....

Damage over control...

How can you win a fight' date=' where you just hold the guy on the ground and get your face smashed while doing it? If your opponent does a lot of damage to you from the ground and you dont do any to him, how the hell you are winning the fight?

This scoring system favoreds wrestlers and thus it causes a lot more boring fights... However if it would be changed to damage over control, it would give new strategies for ground fighting and could eliminate decision grinding lnp tactics.

Ground fighting doesnt have to be boring....[/quote']

yeah when a fight goes to decision kinda like lyoto vs shogun, its painful to see the more damaged person get the win, machida had broken ribs ect. and shogun looked fine... im a big machida fan but i think he probly should have lost it, it kinda could have gone either way but its just kinda sucky how u can inflict more damage on someone than they did to u and still lose the fight

First of all, ground fighting isn't boring now imo, just boring fighters who won't work on the ground. I do agree in making a new system, and I do chose to believe the UFC along with whomever else is pushing for a new system but i dont think we'll see one for a long time.

First of all' date=' ground fighting isn't boring now imo, just boring fighters who won't work on the ground. I do agree in making a new system, and I do chose to believe the UFC along with whomever else is pushing for a new system but i dont think we'll see one for a long time.[/quote']

if the ufc wants to stay at the top of the mma heap they need to be the latest and greatest, so if anyone comes out with a new scoring system it need to be them

The problem is the scoring system is under the control of the State Athletic Commissions not the UFC or SF or any organization. To get sanctioned they have to fight under the Unified Rules of MMA developed by the NJSAC and NSAC.

So, to get a change in how bouts are scored the UFC would have to lobby all the SACs to adopt the new system. We all know how quick governemnt agencies are to enact change.

The problem is the scoring system is under the control of the State Athletic Commissions not the UFC or SF or any organization. To get sanctioned they have to fight under the Unified Rules of MMA developed by the NJSAC and NSAC.

So' date=' to get a change in how bouts are scored the UFC would have to lobby all the SACs to adopt the new system. We all know how quick governemnt agencies are to enact change.[/quote']

right but can the organizations not push for s new scoring system?

right but can the organizations not push for s new scoring system?

I'm sure they can. The problem is like I said. Trying to get a government organization to change is harder than stuffing a TD from GSP.

The change needs to be made in how they score ground points. When the guy on the bottom throws and lands more strikes then the guy on top or attempts more submissions the scoring should reflect it. If the guy on top is not throwing strikes, attempting subs or moving to a dominant position he shouldn't be scoring points.

Judges just seem to see, oh that guy is on top, he wins the round.

I'm sure they can. The problem is like I said. Trying to get a government organization to change is harder than stuffing a TD from GSP.

The change needs to be made in how they score ground points. When the guy on the bottom throws and lands more strikes then the guy on top or attempts more submissions the scoring should reflect it. If the guy on top is not throwing strikes' date=' attempting subs or moving to a dominant position he shouldn't be scoring points.

Judges just seem to see, oh that guy is on top, he wins the round.[/quote']

well said...hopefully one day they will change the score system to this ^^^^

The change needs to be made in how they score ground points. When the guy on the bottom throws and lands more strikes then the guy on top or attempts more submissions the scoring should reflect it. If the guy on top is not throwing strikes' date=' attempting subs or moving to a dominant position he shouldn't be scoring points.

Judges just seem to see, oh that guy is on top, he wins the round.[/quote']

makes sense

Damage is already part of the scoring system. Along with Control. You don't get a win though just because you hurt a fighter twice in the entire fight (ie. Lyoto and Shogun fight). You can still be out pointed by control or more strikes landed. I won't say the judging is perfect but a lot of fans seem to miss the little things that I think the judges catch. All too often fans see nothing more than the blood and bruises and not the technical end of the sport.

Damage is already part of the scoring system. Along with Control. You don't get a win though just because you hurt a fighter twice in the entire fight (ie. Lyoto and Shogun fight). You can still be out pointed by control or more strikes landed. I won't say the judging is perfect but a lot of fans seem to miss the little things that I think the judges catch. All too often fans see nothing more than the blood and bruises and not the technical end of the sport.

Agreed. But look at the stats from say Mo vs Mousasi and GSP vs Hardy.

In one the guy with the top position got out struck by the guy on his back.. Almost no guard passes or dominant posistions and zero submission attempts

http://compustrike.com/stats_files/strikeforce_4_17_10/Mousasi-Lawal.HTM

In the other the guy with top position out struck the guy on his back 132-22. Had 8 sub attempts and 16 guard passes to dominant position.

http://compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_111/St-pierre-Hardy.HTM

Yet both yield the same decision at the end.

yeah who are we compared to those people whose job it is to do this stuff. if you listen to a physicist, u take his advice on how physics works, if you listen to a psychologist u take there advice its there job i think they know what they are talking about... same goes with the judges the majority of them cant all just be seeing things

Archived