If Penn gets an immediate rematch, will Frankie get one too...

causisaysso

Really?

And here I was only mildly intersted in this conundrum.

;)

But it does seem to pose a problem with regard to fair and balanced rules.

well the thing is, i think the question is do title defenses put u higher up in the ladder, because if so even after bj's loss to edgar, bj would still be the number one contender, but if thats the way it works GSP and Anderson should get immidiate rematches too

They're not gonna stop until BJ wins.

lol, yeah you know Dana likes BJ as champ.

Personally I think the champion should get an immediate rematch.

But that's it.

After that whoever the loser is has to at least fight the next highest contender to earn a shot at the belt.

No' date=' if BJ wins frankie wont get the rematch immediatly its a big difference as in penn was undefeated at LW for 8 years and had defended his title 4 times[/quote']

No. the real big difference is that the Penn family has connections with the UFC, and Dana and Fertittas. And there are Penn's on staff (other then as a fighter) in the UFC.

That's why BJ gets a immediate rematch. Connections. no other reason.

It's BS imo.

No. the real big difference is that the Penn family has connections with the UFC' date=' and Dana and Fertittas. And there are Penn's on staff (other then as a fighter) in the UFC.

That's why BJ gets a immediate rematch. Connections. no other reason.

It's BS imo.[/quote']

so being undefeated in 8 years at LW and having 5 successful title fights in a row @LW doesnt warrant an immediate rematch when you lose a controversial decision?

so being undefeated in 8 years at LW and having 5 successful title fights in a row @LW doesnt warrant an immediate rematch when you lose a controversial decision?

It was only controversial to a bunch of Penn ****s. It was EASY 4 if not 5 rounds for Edgar.

So, yes, I don't think it deserves an immediate rematch. for 4 reasons.

1.) a loss is a loss. They left if to the judges. One guy won, One guy lost.

and

2.) where do you draw the line on who gets an immediate rematch and why? It's 100% subjective.

and

3.) It will get boring fast. How often are fans going to want to watch the same fight(ers) twice in a row. Lets say Carwin beats lesner, and some how Daley beats GSp, and Shogun eeks out a win over Machida.. do we have to watch those 3 fights again this year? I'd rather watch new match ups. And after a few turns of this so would everyone else. It's hard to market the same match up over and over.

and

4.) These immediate rematches screw over any of the other guys who could have had a decent shot. It ties the division up for another 3-6 months just to have the same fight.

Edit: actually thought over something to add:

I don't think what happened in the past matters more then what happened now. BJ's reward for each of those title defenses was to retain the title. There was no "immunity" insta rematch card on the table for those last defenses. This isn't the friggen Survivor tv show. It's MMA. He already got that reward. Now, he lost. Why should he get another reward for losing?

You lose, you should work your way up.

It was only controversial to a bunch of Penn ****s. It was EASY 4 if not 5 rounds for Edgar.

So' date=' yes, I don't think it deserves an immediate rematch. for 4 reasons.

and

2.) where do you draw the line on who gets an immediate rematch and why? It's 100% subjective.

and

3.) It will get boring fast. How often are fans going to want to watch the same fight(ers) twice in a row. Lets say Carwin beats lesner, and some how Daley beats GSp, and Shogun eeks out a win over Machida.. do we have to watch those 3 fights again this year? I'd rather watch new match ups. And after a few turns of this so would everyone else. It's hard to market the same match up over and over.

and

4.) These immediate rematches screw over any of the other guys who could have had a decent shot. It ties the division up for another 3-6 months just to have the same fight.[/quote']

I'd say it was a very close fight. guess Im a nutt hugger. Whos nuts do you hugg?

I don't think what happened in the past matters more then what happened now. BJ's reward for each of those title defenses was to retain the title. There was no "immunity" insta rematch card on the table for those last defenses. This isn't the friggen Survivor tv show. It's MMA. He already got that reward. Now' date=' he lost. Why should he get another reward for losing?

You lose, you should work your way up.[/quote']

You're obviously someone that knows nothing about fights. Frankie was bouncing around like a cracked out monkey, and to that causal fan, it would seem that he crushed BJ. Yeah right. Watch the fight again. He was getting stuck pretty often every time he came in. The fight was not EASY to score by any means.

And it doesn't matter who you are, if you hold the title for that long and lose a close fight, you without a doubt deserve an immediate rematch. Only those that have worked their way up the first time and lost their first title shot should have to work their way back up to it. So crazy to think that he doesn't deserve an instant rematch. Your "reward" argument is so ignorant. He didn't get an award for losing. He didn't take the belt home.

Lol i showed the BJpenn vs Edgar fight to a 10 year old. The 10 year old said, that Edgar was winning after the first 1 minute of Edgar dancing around , the 10 year old after a minute of watching then said that Edgar was moving around heaps but that bald guy seems to be hitting him more now, so i think the bald guy is winning. So that 10 year old sum'd up the fight nicely i thought. BJPenn should of won that fight.

Also a rematch depends on how decisive it is. Its important this rematch because alot of people really thought BJ Penn had at least the first 3 rounds just on counter punches alone. The fact that those takedowns scored at all without any damage done to BJPenn whatsoever is just another awful rule in this American MMA World, takedowns shouldnt be scored unless theres damage done i reckon or the attacker gets immediate control after the takedown (like GSP wins his fights with, control AFTER the takedown), BJPenn was up so fast, that im surprised the takedowns were even put into consideration for scoring. Japan still has SOCCER Kicks in thier MMA. :(:(

well the thing is' date=' i think the question is do title defenses put u higher up in the ladder, because if so even after bj's loss to edgar, bj would still be the number one contender, but if thats the way it works GSP and Anderson should get immidiate rematches too[/quote']

Haha silly goose Anderson will never lose his title, but I see your point.

penn landed more shots more power shots at a higher accuracy % yet you say edgar won 4-5 rounds? penn outstruck edgar in 4 of the 5 rounds you hate penn i think

No. I'm just smart enough to watch the fight myself rather then trusting a biased site like fightmetric.

I also know how to judge a fight, unlike half the monkeys on this site.

I also know there are 4 criteria that a fight is based on, not just 1 as you seem to believe.

You're obviously someone that knows nothing about fights. Frankie was bouncing around like a cracked out monkey' date=' and to that causal fan, it would seem that he crushed BJ. Yeah right. Watch the fight again. He was getting stuck pretty often every time he came in. The fight was not EASY to score by any means.

And it doesn't matter who you are, if you hold the title for that long and lose a close fight, you without a doubt deserve an immediate rematch. Only those that have worked their way up the first time and lost their first title shot should have to work their way back up to it. So crazy to think that he doesn't deserve an instant rematch. Your "reward" argument is so ignorant. He didn't get an award for losing. He didn't take the belt home.[/quote']

Sure, he got a reward for losing. He got an immediate rematch. WHo else gets that? Other's don't get that when they lose. so ya.. they are rewarding Penn for his loss.

And it was easy to judge that fight.... IF you know how to judge an MMA fight. You run your mouth with all this talk about "casual fans" but you are one yourself if you don't understand how to judge a fight. It is about MUCH more then going to fightmetric and reading the strikes landed.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

He defended the LW title 3 times.

He is 4-2-1 in LW title fights.

He is 1-2 in WW title fights.

He is 5-4 in his fights since returning to the UFC

No matter how close a decision it was I don't think anyone (including Shogun) should get a title shot coming off a loss.

Lastly Compustrike has Edgar out striking Penn.

http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_112/Penn-Edgar.HTM

So' date=' yes, I don't think it deserves an immediate rematch. for 4 reasons.

and

and

and

4.) These immediate rematches screw over any of the other guys who could have had a decent shot. It ties the division up for another 3-6 months just to have the same fight.

Edit: actually thought over something to add:

I don't think what happened in the past matters more then what happened now. BJ's reward for each of those title defenses was to retain the title. There was no "immunity" insta rematch card on the table for those last defenses. This isn't the friggen Survivor tv show. It's MMA. He already got that reward. Now, he lost. Why should he get another reward for losing?

You lose, you should work your way up.[/quote']

Work his way up past who? Florian and Maynard?? ...one of which Penn has already decisively beat (and has already had two shots at the title) and another who looked like he took a step backwards in his last fight. Mind you these are the only two in the lightweight div who may even be remotely deserving besides Penn. Its not like Aoki, Melendez, or Eddie Alvarez exist in the UFC. It's a good call because it was a controversial decision, two because Penn warrants a rematch because of what he has done thus far in his career as a whole (it's called giving double honor to whom honor is due)... especially the UFC, and three because there's no other matchup that makes sense at this time. Even Melendez and Aoki are supposed to rematch on a Dream card because of the cross promotion deal. I don't think anyone's gonna complain about that. Plus people want to know if the victory was indeed a fluke. For the record I definitely think it was in the case of Penn-Edgar, not so much Melendez-Aoki. 9-10 times Melendez is beating Aoki, how many people you think out there feel the same about Penn-Edgar???...not many I guarantee you. And to answer the OP...no Edgar shouldn't unless he can beat the loser of Maynard- Florian first.

Archived