Souza vs. Maia

Kristufa

Jacare is probably the only person in the sport who is as good as Maia on the ground, I don't think either of them wants to take this to the ground because they are both so good there. Unfortunately if this ever did happen, because they are the two best JJ guys in the sport, we would just see a poor kickboxing match, in which case Maia wins.

Jacare is probably the only person in the sport who is as good as Maia on the ground' date=' I don't think either of them wants to take this to the ground because they are both so good there. Unfortunately if this ever did happen, because they are the two best JJ guys in the sport, we would just see a poor kickboxing match, in which case Maia wins.[/quote']

Haha I would actually love to see it.

On the ground would obviously make for an epic match-up, but watching them kickbox?

That would be awesome :D

In BJJ Mundial competiions (I'm pretty sure it was the Mundials) Demian beat Jacare for the Black Belt Championship. But this is MMA and striking is involved, I'd called Jacare the better striker... But would he take the risks with an already healthy respect for Maia and his ground game? I'd love to watch it though!

O and here's a link to the competition footage

In BJJ Mundial competiions (I'm pretty sure it was the Mundials) Demian beat Jacare for the Black Belt Championship. But this is MMA and striking is involved' date=' I'd called Jacare the better striker... But would he take the risks with an already healthy respect for Maia and his ground game? I'd love to watch it though!

O and here's a link to the competition footage

[/quote']

Wow I've never seen that.

I read the comments, apparently Maia is 1-2 vs. Jacare in tournaments?

• 1 month later...
I actually think this about Maia at this point.

Hmmm....I haven't seen Maia do a single thing with his striking. I guess he has one legit KO (his first fight), and Jacare has none.....so statistically, you might be right. In reality, Souza is a much more aggressive striker who normally uses it to get people down, where he works his BJJ magic.

Simple question' date=' who would win in a fight between:

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Demian Maia.

Both excellent submission artists with identical records.

I'm pretty sure Maia wins here by A LOT, but I'm curious to see how you think this would go.[/quote']

I highly disagree with this.

Jacare is easily the better athlete. In an MMA format, I think that he wins this fight. He has the ground game to counter act Maia's, so he wouldn't need to fear taking him down which he would do at will. There is no Gi for Maia to hold on to this time and that will hurt him in a fight with Jacare

While in top postion Jacare could use his explosiveness to pass and GNP Maia. I don't see a sub happening for either.

In the striking, I give Maia the technical edge, but I give Jacare the power edge. Also, Jacare's striking improves everytime he fights. His boxing is getting better and better.

I would say Jacare wins a UD due to multiple TDs and top position control or a TKO from GNP

I used to think Maia would wreck him but then Jacare improved and so I thought he'd pull a top position win but now I think Maia has an edge standing for sure and if Jacare just went for take downs, he'd win the first round but he'd gas like he did in the last fight and that's not good when you're on top of Maia. Maia would sweep him when he gasses imo. Maia is better on his back then Jacare is on top. I think Maia has the body control and grip strength to manipulate Jacare. Jacare would get the top but he wouldn't be able to do any damage there and working to sustain would gas him for the inevitable graping by Maia late. Jacare might steal it if he can avoif getting beat int he second round but I see Maia winning the third easily and Jacare likely pulling the first out due to top position. I think the difference would be that Maia would eventually catch Jacare being sloppy and take the top on him. Jacare is the better athlete but imo Maia is way better technically in scrambles and technique wins out eventually. Maia would put a clinic on him. Great fight though, not for the noobs but for real fans.

Maia would be able to grind out a decision' date=' but I can't see him out grappling Souza to the point of submission. Souza has the better striking though so he can easily control the tempo of the fight, I give it to Souza by TKO[/quote']

hmmmmm. I just think Souza doesn't have one punch KO power and Maia is too good to be exploited on the mat even if he's hurt so I doubt the tko part. Also, Maia clearly has better striking. He outstruck Miller and Miller is better than anyone Jacare has stood with. I just think Jacare has nice form, he's a good athlete but I somehow doubt he'll be able to technically outstrike guys. He doesn't think the standup game. Joey V caught on to him and he wasn't able to change it up. He's not a natural striker. Whereas Maia, imo, actually has a good sense for timing and defensive posture. I think Jacare looks better hitting a bag but Maia is the more effective striker.

I used to think Maia would wreck him but then Jacare improved and so I thought he'd pull a top position win but now I think Maia has an edge standing for sure and if Jacare just went for take downs' date=' he'd win the first round but he'd gas like he did in the last fight and that's not good when you're on top of Maia. Maia would sweep him when he gasses imo. Maia is better on his back then Jacare is on top. I think Maia has the body control and grip strength to manipulate Jacare. Jacare would get the top but he wouldn't be able to do any damage there and working to sustain would gas him for the inevitable graping by Maia late. Jacare might steal it if he can avoid getting beat int he second round but I see Maia winning the third easily and Jacare likely pulling the first out due to top position. I think the difference would be that Maia would eventually catch Jacare being sloppy and take the top on him. Jacare is the better athlete but imo Maia is way better technically in scrambles and technique wins out eventually. Maia would put a clinic on him. Great fight though, not for the noobs but for real fans.[/quote']

Maia isn't sweeping Jacare dude, at least not as easily as you make it sound. And he isn't better from his back than Jacare is on top. Maia is solid (well actually he is great anywhere) but Jacare is a top player. Maia is definitely better off his back than Jacare though.

But even in their BJJ match, Maia just held top position and BARELY won on points. He never had Jacare in danger of a sub if I remember correctly. Without a Gi for grip, I don't see this happening. Not that it would matter because Jacare would be the one in top position anyway. Even if Maia swept him, he wouldn't control him as well without the Gi.

The big risk is the one you happened to point out. If Jacare tries going balls to the wall the whole first and possibly second rounds GSP style, Maia likely would end up catching him in the third when he gassed. I just don't think it would happen since Jacare has already addressed this issue. He knows what he did wrong in that fight and will learn from it.

I would seriously love to see this match happen. Jacare is one of my favorite fighters (as you already know and others have likely guessed from my Avatar) and Maia is on my list of fighters I support as well

I think it would be a great treat for BJJ followers as well as MMA purist

Maia dives in like a fool with his wrestling though. He starts off on top off balance. He will be swept if he pulls that stunt. He would swept before they really hit the mat. Jacare takes advantage of the fact that the guys he is fighting aren't world class. Any off balance take down on maia results in looking like Sonnen looked, minus the insta sub. I just don't see Jacare having the control with his take down to properly ride out Maia. He is too sloppy and off balance and he gasses. Sloppy second round gassed up take downs means he's getting swept.

hmmmmm. I just think Souza doesn't have one punch KO power and Maia is too good to be exploited on the mat even if he's hurt so I doubt the tko part. Also' date=' Maia clearly has better striking. He outstruck Miller and Miller is better than anyone Jacare has stood with. I just think Jacare has nice form, he's a good athlete but I somehow doubt he'll be able to technically outstrike guys. He doesn't think the standup game. Joey V caught on to him and he wasn't able to change it up. He's not a natural striker. Whereas Maia, imo, actually has a good sense for timing and defensive posture. I think Jacare looks better hitting a bag but Maia is the more effective striker.[/quote']

I think he has more power than you think and WAY more than Maia does. He dropped Lindland with one shot! His boxing is coming along very nicely and at a very impressive rate IMO. Working with Lil Nog and the others at Black House will help he develop.

Maia while more technical and well rounded, will never be a legit threat striking. Where as, IMO anyway, Jacare has the potential to be a very solid striker. Not only with technique, but because he will have the power to go with it. Thats something Maia lacks and that can't be taught

I think he has more power than you think and WAY more than Maia does. He dropped Lindland with one shot! His boxing is coming along very nicely and at a very impressive rate IMO. Working with Lil Nog and the others at Black House will help he develop.

Maia while more technical and well rounded' date=' will never be a legit threat striking. Where as, IMO anyway, Jacare has the potential to be a very solid striker. Not only with technique, but because he will have the power to go with it. Thats something Maia lacks and that can't be taught[/quote']

Maia has better timing and the fact that he's left handed gives him a little advantage landing the big overhand left. Jacare doesn't power. Not enough to hurt maia. no way. I see Maia hurting him easier than he could hurt maia. Jacare has a glass jaw and Maia throws head kicks and big haymaker lefts.

Maia has better timing and the fact that he's left handed gives him a little advantage landing the big overhand left. Jacare doesn't power. Not enough to hurt maia. no way. I see Maia hurting him easier than he could hurt maia. Jacare has a glass jaw and Maia throws head kicks and big haymaker lefts.

We saw how much power Maia has when he hit Miller with like 12 clean shots in a row which did NOTHING.

The kicks I can see, but Maia has feathers in his hands.

We saw how much power Maia has when he hit Miller with like 12 clean shots in a row which did NOTHING.

The kicks I can see' date=' but Maia has feathers in his hands.[/quote']

Miller's tougher than oil cleanup for Americans though. He got nailed with some clean shots by Bisping and I don't care if he doesn't hit hard either, he landed clean and he clearly had everything on it and didn't even phase Miller. Miller has a jaw. Maia actually has some pop.

Miller's tougher than oil cleanup for Americans though. He got nailed with some clean shots by Bisping and I don't care if he doesn't hit hard either' date=' he landed clean and he clearly had everything on it and didn't even phase Miller. Miller has a jaw. Maia actually has some pop.[/quote']

HAHAHAHA just gonna bring up the oil spill huh

Not denying that Miller has a jaw, but you have to admit that anyone that gets hit that many times should have been finished no?

If Bisping had done that to Miller, he would be sleeping and Bisping has average power

HAHAHAHA just gonna bring up the oil spill huh

Not denying that Miller has a jaw' date=' but you have to admit that anyone that gets hit that many times should have been finished no?

If Bisping had done that to Miller, he would be sleeping and Bisping has average power[/quote']

that was my point though. Bisping DID do that to Miller and had the same result as Maia.

No he didn't. Bisping never hit Miller that many times in a row. He hit him a few' date=' like three at the most

Maia hit miller for damn near a minute straight LOL[/quote']

I don't know. I think Miller's just one of those guys that takes punishment well. Sonnen GnPed him for 15 minutes to no effect at all also. It doesn't matter but Bisping hit him square on the chin with his best overhand right he possibly could and it snapped his head around but didn't even drop him. I really think Miller has a tremendous chin.

Jacare has better stand up. I think Jacare also has the strength and ability to control where the fight goes. Grappling ability is too close to call.

Jacare via KO.

I think Jacare improved stand up is better then Maia's too but I don't think he would knock him out. I would take Jacare by UD 30-27 across the board.

I highly disagree with this.

Jacare is easily the better athlete. In an MMA format' date=' I think that he wins this fight. He has the ground game to counter act Maia's, so he wouldn't need to fear taking him down which he would do at will. There is no Gi for Maia to hold on to this time and that will hurt him in a fight with Jacare

While in top postion Jacare could use his explosiveness to pass and GNP Maia. I don't see a sub happening for either.

In the striking, I give Maia the technical edge, but I give Jacare the power edge. Also, Jacare's striking improves everytime he fights. His boxing is getting better and better.

I would say Jacare wins a UD due to multiple TDs and top position control or a TKO from GNP[/quote']

Well I should've read past the first page before posting. Jujitswho has it right.

Maia while more technical and well rounded' date=' will never be a legit threat striking. Where as, IMO anyway, Jacare has the potential to be a very solid striker. Not only with technique, but because he will have the power to go with it. Thats something Maia lacks and that can't be taught[/quote']

Agreed. Jacare's standup has steadily improved. In fact, he started to look crisp against Lindland, and even Mousasi. He's definitely got enough power to knock most MWs out with an accurate flurry or big overhand.

Dana needs to get him in there with Maia, so this dream BJJ matchup can happen. Get it done!

Simple question' date=' who would win in a fight between:

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Demian Maia.

Both excellent submission artists with identical records.

[b']I'm pretty sure Maia wins here by A LOT[/b], but I'm curious to see how you think this would go.

I dont see why. I dont quite know about striking technique (in any case, I dont think Maia's is far superior), but Jacar? is a much stronger and more powerful fighter. Perhaps more aggresive too. And Souza's bjj is as good or better than Maia's imo (he is one of the very few to ever submit Marcelo Garcia). I would love to see them fight, but my money is on Jacar

Archived