P4P Best defensive fighter in MMA?

Juzie

Taking into consideration of head movement, elusiveness, blocking, takedown defense, flawless guards, submission defense and probably a good chin can be counted as well. Who do you guys think is the best defensively brilliant MMArtist in the world? Poll of my personal top 4 who I feel are miles ahead of the rest coming in a sec...if you tick other than go ahead and tell us why you feel that way.

Btw Juzie' date=' shouldn't you have put A. Silva up there?

He's a counter striker with amazing footwork, and he uses his offense as a sort of defense as well.[/quote']

I disagree with Silva because even though his elusiveness on the feet is the best in all of MMA (in my opinion of course), his chin has not been tested as much and his takedown and grappling defense in general nowhere near compares to Machida/BJ/Alves or even Fitch. I am going by an overall best defense not just in one aspect of the game. But of course you are allowed to have your own opinion.

I disagree with Silva because even though his elusiveness on the feet is the best in all of MMA (in my opinion of course)' date=' his chin has not been tested as much and his takedown and grappling defense in general nowhere near compares to Machida/BJ/Alves or even Fitch. I am going by an overall best defense not just in one aspect of the game. But of course you are allowed to have your own opinion.[/quote']

Ahh that makes sense. You're right, I was only thinking in terms of stand-up. Though I would argue that the fact that his chin hasn't been tested is a testament to his elusiveness, his takedown and ground defense have shown to be suspect.

I disagree with Silva because even though his elusiveness on the feet is the best in all of MMA (in my opinion of course)' date=' his chin has not been tested as much and his takedown and grappling defense in general nowhere near compares to Machida/BJ/Alves or even Fitch. I am going by an overall best defense not just in one aspect of the game. But of course you are allowed to have your own opinion.[/quote']

The fact his chin hasnt really been tested shows great defense and he rarely goes to the ground (when he did he subbed Hendo). Machida got kicked to death for 5 rounds against Rua and got taken down and almost subbed by Tito so if he is up there Silva should be

The fact his chin hasnt really been tested shows great defense and he rarely goes to the ground (when he did he subbed Hendo). Machida got kicked to death for 5 rounds against Rua and got taken down and almost subbed by Tito so if he is up there Silva should be

I agree. Many would say that I'm an Anderson Silva ****, but that's impossible. He's too damn elusive for me to get anywhere near them.

Tito never took Machida down, Machida kept taking him down. Tito also was once known as having the best takedowns of all time. Yes he let his guard down and was almost subbed by Tito but he got out of it. Silva on the other hand has been taken down by less caliber wrestlers than Tito (Marquardt) and Hendo (on par) and subbed by Chonan. I agree to reasoning behind his chin not being tested but Rua did not kick Machida to death for 5 rounds, that was a much closer fight than a lot of people think and was also against who many once believed was the best P4P fighter.

Tito never took Machida down' date=' Machida kept taking him down[/b']. Tito also was once known as having the best takedowns of all time. Yes he let his guard down and was almost subbed by Tito but he got out of it. Silva on the other hand has been taken down by less caliber wrestlers than Tito (Marquardt) and Hendo (on par) and subbed by Chonan. I agree to reasoning behind his chin not being tested but Rua did not kick Machida to death for 5 rounds, that was a much closer fight than a lot of people think and was also against who many once believed was the best P4P fighter.

Sorry, yeah your right on Machida taking Tito down, but I think Machida's ribs might disagree with you about the Rua fight.

Chonan was too long ago to be taken into account now but Silva was taken down by Hendo and Marquart but didnt lose from there so he must of had good defence on the ground? You've got to be on the ground to show good ground defence

Hmm.... I'm not sure. Guys like Machida or Edgar I would consider more "evasive" than "defensive". Sure, evasion is kind of a form of defense, probably the most effective MMA skill for not taking fight stopping damage, but when I think "defense" I tend to think of guys, who for whatever reason, can absorb insane amounts of damage with little loss of face.

Probably my #1 defensive fighter is Rampage Jackson. He blocks almost everything thrown at him, and what he doesn't block, he absorbs, and even after all of that he still comes after you. It's like watching a turtle with fangs fight. There are't alot of fighters with that kind of style. Sean Sherk is a bit similar.

Sorry' date=' yeah your right on Machida taking Tito down, but I think Machida's ribs might disagree with you about the Rua fight.

Chonan was too long ago to be taken into account now but Silva was taken down by Hendo and Marquart but didnt lose from there so he must of had good defence on the ground? You've got to be on the ground to show good ground defence[/quote']

He didn't look so crash hot underneath Marquardt or Hendo in the first round. He didn't look awful but when you get taken down relatively easy, get caught from one of the most embarrassing submissions of all time (it was long ago but just like Brock, it will always be against Silva's name) you can't really compare yourself to say a Machida who has fought some damn good wrestlers (Rashad and Tito) and has never been close to getting taken down. I know Alves, BJ and Fitch all got tossed around by GSP at times, but other fights keep them in the running.

He didn't look so crash hot underneath Marquardt or Hendo in the first round. He didn't look awful but when you get taken down relatively easy' date=' get caught from one of the most embarrassing submissions of all time (it was long ago but just like Brock, it will always be against Silva's name) you can't really compare yourself to say a Machida who has fought some damn good wrestlers (Rashad and Tito) and has never been close to getting taken down. I know Alves, BJ and Fitch all got tossed around by GSP at times, but other fights keep them in the running.[/quote']

Does Machida look great on the ground?? I dont know about that. Your saying Machida has great TDD which is good enough to be on the list but Silva's head movement and elusiveness in a striking fight should not be credited the same way. I know Machida is also good at defending strikes but Rua landed a lot on him in their fight and Rua would not land that much in a Muay Thai fight against Silva, nowhere near

Does Machida look great on the ground?? I dont know about that. Your saying Machida has great TDD which is good enough to be on the list but Silva's head movement and elusiveness in a striking fight should not be credited the same way.

Machida is almost as elusive as Silva, he just showboats a lot less. Yes he arguably lost a close fight to Shogun. But who has Silva beat that has striking as crisp as Shogun? It is the same argument as to why Alves/Fitch can be on the list. Yeah they got crushed by GSP...but who can actually stop GSP's takedown? No one really but they did a better job than most people. It is the difference in competition level.

Machida is almost as elusive as Silva' date=' he just showboats a lot less. Yes he arguably lost a close fight to Shogun. But who has Silva beat that has striking as crisp as Shogun? It is the same argument as to why Alves/Fitch can be on the list. Yeah they got crushed by GSP...but who can actually stop GSP's takedown? No one really but they did a better job than most people. It is the difference in competition level.[/quote']

So really its just who is best at stopping takedowns?

Hmm.... I'm not sure. Guys like Machida or Edgar I would consider more "evasive" than "defensive". Sure' date=' evasion is kind of a form of defense, probably the most effective MMA skill for not taking fight stopping damage, but when I think "defense" I tend to think of guys, who for whatever reason, can absorb insane amounts of damage with little loss of face.

Probably my #1 defensive fighter is Rampage Jackson. He blocks almost everything thrown at him, and what he doesn't block, he absorbs, and even after all of that he still comes after you. It's like watching a turtle with fangs fight. There are't alot of fighters with that kind of style. Sean Sherk is a bit similar.[/quote']

You have a great arguement there. But due to Rampage being vulnerable in the clinch...I have to disagree.

So really its just who is best at stopping takedowns?

No, it is overall....

Silva has been subbed easily, taken down easily and worked on the ground easily. Yeah he has great stand up defense but that is where it ends. If it was best takedown defense don't you think say...GSP would be on the list?

It is who is best at doing it all. Silva isn't best at doing it all and most people will agree.

Archived