Dana on Strikeforce/Shields signing/Hendo screwup.

Ashy

jake just better hope he doesnt get destroyed ... chances are ufc will toss him a win or two but after that he must prove himself to stay

Ya, I agree with this. He'll be given an easy fight (by his standards) or 2 then he'll get some top competition and see if the contenders in the UFC can beat the SF champs. Which I think is yes.

Ya' date=' I agree with this. He'll be given an easy fight (by his standards) or 2 then he'll get some top competition and see if the contenders in the UFC can beat the SF champs. Which I think is yes.[/quote']

but whos an easy fight at 170?? if he fights some nobody..it might end up on undercard.. who wants to see jake shields vs Joe schmoe? they would put him in with the sharks.. fitch kos..daley.. nat.. alves.. test him ..why give him patty cake fights?

but whos an easy fight at 170?? if he fights some nobody..it might end up on undercard.. who wants to see jake shields vs Joe schmoe? they would put him in with the sharks.. fitch kos..daley.. nat.. alves.. test him ..why give him patty cake fights?

I agree. I'm not telling the UFC to not that it mattered if I did lol, Im just saying thats whats going to happen. I dont know theyll give him a gate-keeper or something. Hardy would be fun, Rumble (hes not ready for the big leagues yet unfortunately), ben saunders, marcus davis. There are a few. and hey not taking anything from the fighters I named because I like 3/4 of the ones I named. and as you can tell by my sig I really like Rumble so ya.

He already had Daley once.....Hardy would be a good one I think.

Dana is smart enough to know that true MMA fans will know who Shields is, and to put in the main fight card on a ppv or have his first fight on fight night. His first match I would say would be between one of these 3 guys assuming he wouldn't give him a straight title shot. Hardy, Swift (just two stand up guys while Shields is well rounded), or Marcus Davis which is another talented striker but has been greatly improving him wrestling and jj.

Dana is smart enough to know that true MMA fans will know who Shields is' date=' and to put in the main fight card on a ppv or have his first fight on fight night. His first match I would say would be between one of these 3 guys assuming he wouldn't give him a straight title shot. Hardy, Swift (just two stand up guys while Shields is well rounded), or Marcus Davis which is another talented striker but has been greatly improving him wrestling and jj.[/quote']

you know now that you said this i can see them put champ vs. champ .. then after they boast their champ they can throw him other fights to try and build himself back up as a ufc fighter

you know now that you said this i can see them put champ vs. champ .. then after they boast their champ they can throw him other fights to try and build himself back up as a ufc fighter

I think he should fight the loser of the alves / fitch fight and if he beats whomever then give him to GSP. They fight very similar styles but GSP is better at Wrestling and Standup and Shields might by slightly ahead in BJJ. The winner of the Alves / Fitch fight should be next in line at GSP after GSP beats the Kos / Daley winnner.

yeah i agree he shouldnt get a title shot right away .. but as a buisness it would be very smart to have him fight for a title shot.. then they can talk more crap about ufc being superior to strikeforce .. then after his loss try to build him back into the equation as a true ufc fighter now

The only way i see Shields getting an immediate title shot is if they agree that they want to prove asap that the UFC champ is better then that of SF and hopes for whoever he faces (most likely GSP at WW) to completly smash him, which we all know he would.

I'm excited about Shields coming to the UFC. He may not be the best fighter in the world, but I admire a guy who moves up a weight just because he wants to fight bigger names. People have been telling GSP to do that for a while now.

He shouldn't get an immediate title shot, but I think he'll surprise some people in the UFC with his performances.

I actually agree with Dana here. I don't believe Mayhem just got into the cage on his own without anyone trying to stop him. I think it must have been a set up to an extent.

with all the security at those events.. and miller with his BRIGHT neon red hair..how do you not notice flash gordon going into the cage..??

with all the security at those events.. and miller with his BRIGHT neon red hair..how do you not notice flash gordon going into the cage..??

rofl at flash gordon .. yeah ive seen some still photo's when miller is on his way in and it look like the guys by the cage are trying not to notice him on purpose .. one guy has his head down kinda peeking out he corner of his eye

The only way i see Shields getting an immediate title shot is if they agree that they want to prove asap that the UFC champ is better then that of SF and hopes for whoever he faces (most likely GSP at WW) to completly smash him' date=' which we all know he would.[/quote']

Sorry to break it to you but look at Dan Henderson's first two fights in the UFC they were for belts because he had held 2 different weight division belts in Pride. Of coarse to make and put a spin on why he was getting those shots Dana used the excuse that it was only because of them buying Pride that the belt was a interim belt in which they would mold it together and just become one belt but oh wait and look at the heavyweight division even though winners and holders of both those belts have fought they didn't merge those so Dana has been busted on that one. People like to see to champions fight one another that greatly increases sales no matter the reason for it. It is more perfect for him to make the Shields vs GSP fight purely on after Shields loses he can use him working his way back tot he title as a way of saying that the better competition has caused him to learn more and become a better fighter; which is true to a certain point because the greater the competition the more your learning while facing an opponent, but at the same time most likely he will keep his current training camp as do most fighters until they find a training camp that promises to learn more in area they are lacking or for them to learn more in an area where they excel. Dana is a smart man and one hell of a marketer I'm just giving you two different variances on why he would do one way or another. Either way he knows how to market either way he decides rather let him fight for the title first or work his way up. The way to make the most is fight for the title because what happens when he works his way first then gets the title shot he just demolished the credibility of his own fighters because now after Shields has lost the title fight he can't market look at how much better Shields looks after his loss to GSP it really caused him to train hard and improve no it just gets marked down really as he was the number 2 ranked fighter in that division to begin with. Wow that was lengthy my fingers need a rest and a glass of ice water after that.

Sorry to break it to you but look at Dan Henderson's first two fights in the UFC they were for belts because he had held 2 different weight division belts in Pride. Of coarse to make and put a spin on why he was getting those shots Dana used the excuse that it was only because of them buying Pride that the belt was a interim belt in which they would mold it together and just become one belt but oh wait and look at the heavyweight division even though winners and holders of both those belts have fought they didn't merge those so Dana has been busted on that one. People like to see to champions fight one another that greatly increases sales no matter the reason for it. It is more perfect for him to make the Shields vs GSP fight purely on after Shields loses he can use him working his way back tot he title as a way of saying that the better competition has caused him to learn more and become a better fighter; which is true to a certain point because the greater the competition the more your learning while facing an opponent' date=' but at the same time most likely he will keep his current training camp as do most fighters until they find a training camp that promises to learn more in area they are lacking or for them to learn more in an area where they excel. Dana is a smart man and one hell of a marketer I'm just giving you two different variances on why he would do one way or another. Either way he knows how to market either way he decides rather let him fight for the title first or work his way up. The way to make the most is fight for the title because what happens when he works his way first then gets the title shot he just demolished the credibility of his own fighters because now after Shields has lost the title fight he can't market look at how much better Shields looks after his loss to GSP it really caused him to train hard and improve no it just gets marked down really as he was the number 2 ranked fighter in that division to begin with. Wow that was lengthy my fingers need a rest and a glass of ice water after that.[/quote']

BLAH BLAH BLAH. All i see in this is GSP still smashes Shields. lol. I really dont care either way buddy.

I could easily see Dana giving Shields and immediate title shot. And to be perfectly honest people have gotten title shots for much less than wins over Dan Henderson. That and with the lack of competition for Gsp I could see this fight happening. At most shields would have to win one good contender.

Id think that Jake Shields should have 1 non-title fight before he fought for the belt. Id like to see him fight the winner of Fitch vs Alves. Or a he and Daley could have a rematch to see how well Daleys takedown defense has improved.

On the other hand, I could see him getting an instant title shot. Hes been the SF champ for a while and just beat Dan Henderson which are pretty good credentials.

I actually agree with Dana here. I don't believe Mayhem just got into the cage on his own without anyone trying to stop him. I think it must have been a set up to an extent.

I agree....and Dana should know...he was after all the one who told Rashad to get into the cage and do a faceoff with Rampage after he fought Jardine.

Good post dana has some good view points about strikeforce brawl...

And they are going to put shields against Davis or kapman most likely, if they would put shields vs gsp they would publically recognize that strikeforce has really good fighters and that is something that would be bad for ufc marketing, since ufcs current image is that they are the best and thats why shields would have to work him self up just like paul daley.

Dana is looking like the MMA prophet right now by jake shields destroying hendo.. but the question is after the 60 days left on jakes contract' date=' which started on sunday btw, will jake drop his belt to get a bigger payday and face MUCH more talented fighters[/quote']

I think Strikeforce champs are very even competition to UFC champs... I don't see why Strikeforce gets so put down all the time...

And they are going to put shields against Davis or kapman most likely' date=' if they would put shields vs gsp they would publically recognize that strikeforce has really good fighters and that is something that would be bad for ufc marketing, since ufcs current image is that they are the best and thats why shields would have to work him self up just like paul daley.[/quote']

I disagree to give him the title shot while GSP easily defeats Shields proves that there is no competition between the two; while not doing so and having Shields walk over others first shows that strikeforce does.

I think Strikeforce champs are very even competition to UFC champs... I don't see why Strikeforce gets so put down all the time...

Brock Vs Overeem = Brock

King Mo vs Machida = lol Machida slaughters

Shields vs Anderson = Anderson slaughters

Gsp vs Diaz = Gsp slaughters

Melendez vs Frankie = good fight

They are only competitive at light weight and only until Bj gets the belt back.

interesting interview with dana

im a skeptic lol, but nothing he said was silly at all.... i mean strikeforce looked bad after that show

i liked the fights, but hendo losing... it running way to long on that big network.... getting hardly any viewers... (i just watched 40 minutes of fighting on the net, dont have CBS or any strikeforce shows here)

and interesting about dana saying the stikeforce head guy was just the face of the company... always thought he sounded dumb lol....

dana and the bellator head guy sound like smart guys, but ****er (or w/e his name is) seems like a tool

Brock Vs Overeem = Brock

King Mo vs Machida = lol Machida slaughters

Shields vs Anderson = Anderson slaughters

Gsp vs Diaz = Gsp slaughters

Melendez vs Frankie = good fight

They are only competitive at light weight and only until Bj gets the belt back.

Brock vs Owereem = I could easily see Owereem taking this. He is just a beast right now. Brock is still unproven

King Mo vs Machida = Machida but its always possible that MO would L&P to a decision as he did with Mousasi though I doubt it

Gsp vs Diaz = Gsp but still a better fight than Hardy

Shields vs Anderson = Anderson but it would be much more competitive fight than Sonnen or Maia or Leites IMO

Agree with LW

SF champs could definitly threaten or at least gave good fights to UFC champs

Brock vs Owereem = I could easily see Owereem taking this. He is just a beast right now. Brock is still unproven

King Mo vs Machida = Machida but its always possible that MO would L&P to a decision as he did with Mousasi though I doubt it

Gsp vs Diaz = Gsp but still a better fight than Hardy

Shields vs Anderson = Anderson but it would be much more competitive fight than Sonnen or Maia or Leites IMO

Agree with LW

SF champs could definitly threaten or at least gave good fights to UFC champs

Mo gassed after round 1 and only won via lay and pray because Gregard gassed just as early. Machida would murder him.

Mo gassed after round 1 and only won via lay and pray because Gregard gassed just as early. Machida would murder him.

Mo wouldnt be able to get Machida down. Mousasi is a great striker, but he is no where near as technically sound as Machida. With the distance and timing Machida brings to the table Mo would be lucky to make it as long as Rashad (and yes that was a slight at Evans).

On the Sheilds fighting in the UFC question though, I think you guys are getting it wrong. Shields is going to come in, and depending on the time frame he gets signed, will fight either the winner or loser of Alves/Fitch. Look what they did to Gomi, gets signed and BOOM, thrown right in with the second best LW in the division at the time. The same will be done to Shields, signed and thrown to the wolves to test his character and ablity. If he wins then it sets up a big fight with GSP, if he loses then it proves SF champs are inferior to UFC contendors. BTW if Sheilds fights Alves, dudes ****in done.

The upcoming Koscheck/Daley fight is for the WW number one contenders spot. The Bisping/Henderson from UFC 100 was originally supposed to be a #1 contenders match for the next shot at Anderson Silva. Shields, a true WW, just beat Dan Henderson who was supposed to be the number one contender. Prior to that, Shields already dismantled Paul Daley. Shields is the champ in the #2 American MMA promotion. To say that he doesn't deserve a title shot immediately if he came to the UFC against GSP would be ridiculous.

Archived