Six Fight Deal for Cheick Kongo

mike_4

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/04/21/wolfslair-heavyweight-cheick-kongo-signs-new-six-fight-deal-with-the-ufc/

I'm glad cause now I don't have to worry about him getting cut if he loses another fight.

Having a contract doesn't mean you won't get cut. They cut lots of guys out of their contract. I'm guessing there is a clause where they have to pay the fighter a certain amount when cutting them loose but the contract means nothing other than that the fighter won't fight elsewhere. Either way Kongo is near the top of the heap in the HW division and continues to improve so I don't see him getting cut anyways.

Then howcome Stephan Bonner never got cut? I'm pretty sure he has a contract

dana said him and forrest griffin will never be cut because they helped save the company with TUF 1 .. which i think is very loyal of dana.. if bonner isnt fighting hes welcome to do other things around the UFC.. like how hes the host of aftermath for TUF..

and ask houston alexander how much having a contract means if ur not living up to it

1. They all have contracts you moron lol

2. Stephan Bonnar is a very recognizable name (as terrible as he is) and DW has repeatedly said, win or lose if you put on an exciting fight I won't cut you.

3. Contract doesn't save you from being cut. Elliot Marshall had a contract and was even on a 3 fight win streak, lost 1 fight by split decision of all things and got cut.

4. LEARN

Well Kongo just had a submission (edit i would say it was a tko tapping to strikes is the same thing) victory and he has lost to a top contender and a rising star, why are you surprised about kongo getting a new contract? He lost badly to mir but mir was the 1# contender at that time and ufc doesnt have that many known fighters in heavyweight division

Well Kongo just had a submission (edit i would say it was a tko tapping to strikes is the same thing) victory and he has lost to a top contender and a rising star' date=' why are you surprised about kongo getting a new contract? He lost badly to mir but mir was the 1# contender at that time and [b']ufc doesnt have that many known fighters in heavyweight division[/b]

What do you mean "not that many fighters", Brock, Shane, Frank, Cain, JDS, Big Nog, Cro Cop, thats just a few. The UFC has plenty of HWs.

yea i think the only reason kongo got a new contract was because the HW devision needs names otherwise i think he would have been cut long ago because only thing he is good for is testing out new talent cause he can beat the low level people but gets dominated by the upper people and whoever says he has improved has no clue what they are talking about because the same thing happens to him almost every time he fights a decent fighter he either gets KOed or they show everyone how weak his ground game is i think his problem is he is too stiff in the ring he has to learn how to be more comfortable maybe that would help him some but for the most part he just looks intimidating but i think that doesnt help him any more

What do you mean "not that many fighters"' date=' Brock, Shane, Frank, Cain, JDS, Big Nog, Cro Cop, thats just a few. The UFC has plenty of HWs.[/quote']

First of all cro cop seems to be way over the hill. Fights require 2 fighters and those guys are pretty much fighting each other so yeah thats not enough, i mean its like 1 known heavyweight bout in 3-4 cards and fighters usually needs some time to prepare and heal after fights so thats not much. Have you ever think about why there hasnt been many heavyweight bouts in the past? Ufcs weakest division is the heavyweight division and it has been like that for a long time. Yeah for now its getting better when new tallents emerges, like jds and cain, but not long time ago it was really poor...

Bonner hasn't been cut because of his fight with Griffen, and Dana's appreciation for the after effect. For no other reason would he still be fighting. My guess is he is going to wind up hosting something, or commentating or something. Watching him lose isn't all that exciting.

Andrei Arlovski is a prime example.

Andrei isn't around because Andrei isn't fully committed to MMA. It seems every time he fights he talks about it being his last MMA fight before he switches to boxing. Andrei has all the potential but his heart isn't in it anymore. That's why the UFC is trying to get him back.

yea i think the only reason kongo got a new contract was because the HW devision needs names otherwise i think he would have been cut long ago because only thing he is good for is testing out new talent cause he can beat the low level people but gets dominated by the upper people and whoever says he has improved has no clue what they are talking about because the same thing happens to him almost every time he fights a decent fighter he either gets KOed or they show everyone how weak his ground game is i think his problem is he is too stiff in the ring he has to learn how to be more comfortable maybe that would help him some but for the most part he just looks intimidating but i think that doesnt help him any more

His last fight he showed much improved wrestling. His ground and pound has improved dramatically. His take downs are getting much better. It will be interesting to see how he makes out next time he is on his back though. Let's keep in mind too that of all his fights he's only been stopped twice. He's given Cain his toughest test to date (Only person to go the distance with Cain) and just about dropped Cain every time the fight was standing. Kongo belongs near the top of the HW division and has been competitive in all his fights except for the Mir fight which ended too early to say MIR was that good or Kongo was that bad. Kongo deserves his six fight deal and deserves to fight in the UFC.

Archived