Penn Will Get Back to His Roots Now

Rob_Lazarus

You'll now see him develop GSP-like take downs and just start taking people down and G&P'ing and submitting them. Back in the day he mixed strikes with take downs more often whereas now his confidence in his stand up is so great he almost never takes it to the ground.

His top game is one of the best in the UFC and he'll bring it back in his future fights. He'll become hungry to win and get back his belt just like GSP and he'll do whatever he can to do so.

Then the BJ Penn fan club will face an interesting dilemma, how will they explain away the new one dimensionality of Penn 3.0? The same one dimensionality that they have used to downplay GSP 2.0?

Thoughts?

You'll now see him develop GSP-like take downs and just start taking people down and G&P'ing and submitting them. Back in the day he mixed strikes with take downs more often whereas now his confidence in his stand up is so great he almost never takes it to the ground.

His top game is one of the best in the UFC and he'll bring it back in his future fights. He'll become hungry to win and get back his belt just like GSP and he'll do whatever he can to do so.

Then the BJ Penn fan club will face an interesting dilemma' date=' how will they explain away the new one dimensionality of Penn 3.0? The same one dimensionality that they have used to downplay GSP 2.0?

Thoughts?[/quote']

I think you are right. Bj will try to go back to his jiu jitsu. His TD's will never be as good as GSP's (GSP has the best TD's in MMA today) but Bj will utilize his ground game.

Guaranteed in the first minute of the rematch he will go for a TD against Edgar. If the fight becomes a JJ match then Bj will more than likely win. If it stays standing Bj will lose again.

Should be good, we will get a chance to see Bj's crazy BJJ! (Yes I am being serious)

I don't think he will abandon his beloved boxing but he probably will be looking to take the fight to the ground more often than he does now. e.g. use his boxing to setup takedowns more.

His top game is outstanding. His percentage for finishing a fight by rear naked choke after he gets the mount position is very high.

Because GSP 2.0 doesnt have he tools to finish top level guys in his division' date=' whereas Penn 3.0 will be wrecking dudes on the ground. Can you see Bj bungling an armbar or kimora like GSP did agasint the vastly outclassed Hardy?[/quote']

Stroking the hate huh! LOL Thats funny you make the comment because he finished BJ in their last fight. What now? Forgot about that huh. lol

It was idiotic for him not to take the first fight to the ground. I gotta agree with OP for the rematch at least... I think Frankie proved that he is just too quick and has too much cardio' date=' grab a hold of the little **** and submit him.[/quote']

Thats the only way BJ can beat him. Submit him. He stands, he loses again.

I know I did. And just for the record' date=' GSP hasn't finished a guy at 170 since April 19, 2008, [b']which was 2 years ago[/b] monday......

I'm confused, so his fight with Penn was not at 170?

Also, he was only the second guy to ever finish Serra, something Penn couldn't do.

I'm confused' date=' so his fight with Penn was not at 170?

Also, he was only the second guy to ever finish Serra, something Penn couldn't do.[/quote']

Ugh, I'm tired of explaining this.

Bj is a LW that moved to WW for one fight. That does not mean he is a WW, it means hes a LW that moved up for a fight.

AS is a MW that moves up to LHW sparadically, that doesnt make him a LHW.

The point about Serra is a fair one, but it is also moot. It doesnt change the fact that he hasnt finished another WW opponent for 2 years.

Ugh' date=' I'm tired of explaining this.

Bj is a LW that moved to WW for one fight. That does not mean he is a WW, it means hes a LW that moved up for a fight.

AS is a MW that moves up to LHW sparadically, that doesnt make him a LHW.

The point about Serra is a fair one, but it is also moot. It doesnt change the fact that he hasnt finished another WW opponent for 2 years.[/quote']

Lol. BJ was a WW for that fight regardless of how you want to word it. So you can't make the argument GSP hasn't finished a WW in two years. BJ was a WW opponent for that fight no matter how you spin it. That's a fact end of story.

It would be like saying Anderson Silva didn't defeat LHW opponents because he's a MW.

Lol. BJ was a WW for that fight regardless of how you want to word it. So you can't make the argument GSP hasn't finished a WW in two years. BJ was a WW opponent for that fight no matter how you spin it. That's a fact end of story.

It would be like saying Anderson Silva didn't defeat LHW opponents because he's a MW.

Your not understanding my meaning. BJ fought and lost at 170 pounds, agreed. But Bj is not a WW! He is a LW that moved up to fight at WW. Theres a big difference there, try to think about it.

And it wouldnt be like saying the Silva thing. Silva moved up to defeat the LHW opponents. If they moved down to fight him, then they would be LHWs moving down to fight at MW.... which in no way means that they are MWs!!

Lol. BJ was a WW for that fight regardless of how you want to word it. So you can't make the argument GSP hasn't finished a WW in two years. BJ was a WW opponent **for that fight** no matter how you spin it. That's a fact end of story.

Taking one fight at a higher weight class does not mean you are a member of that wieght class.

Your not understanding my meaning. BJ fought and lost at 170 pounds' date=' agreed. But Bj is not a WW! He is a LW that moved up to fight at WW. Theres a big difference there, try to think about it.

And it wouldnt be like saying the Silva thing. Silva moved up to defeat the LHW opponents. If they moved down to fight him, then they would be LHWs moving down to fight at MW.... which in no way means that they are MWs!![/quote']

BJ was a WW for that fight regardless. Was he not a WW when he fought Hughes? I understand what your saying but I just disagree and think that logic if flawed to discredit GSP. It's just an excuse to say oh that one didn't count.

Note Im not defending GSP here. His performances have been lack luster and safety first lately and I don't like that approach in a fighter especially one trying to forge a legacy.

Taking one fight at a higher weight class does not mean you are a member of that wieght class.

So...is anyone who moves to another weight class not part of that weight class? Penn hasn't just fought once at WW. I don't understand the line you're drawing. Why isn't he a WW cutting to LW?

The amount of weight guys cut varies. If Tibau fought at 170 he would still have to cut weight. So I don't really get the point. Thiago Alves cuts a ****load to make WW, so is he really a MW?

So...is anyone who moves to another weight class not part of that weight class? Penn hasn't just fought once at WW. I don't understand the line you're drawing. Why isn't he a WW cutting to LW?

The amount of weight guys cut varies. If Tibau fought at 170 he would still have to cut weight. So I don't really get the point.

Penn is a LW not a WW becuz he has to add weight to fight at 170lbs...he weighed 167lbs vs GSP...he's a LW moonlighting at WW....Penn doesn't cut to LW from above 170lbs...he probably walks around at 165lbs...

Penn is a LW not a WW becuz he has to add weight to fight at 170lbs...he weighed 167lbs vs GSP...he's a LW moonlighting at WW....Penn doesn't cut to LW from above 170lbs...he probably walks around at 165lbs...

You're still drawing blurry lines. Are guys that cut forty pounds to WW really LHW's then? When you start doing that everything just gets confusing.

You're still drawing blurry lines. Are guys that cut forty pounds to WW really LHW's then? When you start doing that everything just gets confusing.

the difference is that those guys cutting 40lbs to to make WW actually weigh above the LHW limit...

Penn doesn't get to 170lbs unless he fattens up to try and be at a competitive weight...

Penn walks around at 165lbs soaking wet...he's a LW...

do u think GSP is a MW becuz he cuts weight to make 170lbs?

there are no blurry lines...ur confusing walk-around weight with fighting weight or something like that...

the difference is that those guys cutting 40lbs to to make WW actually weigh above the LHW limit...

Penn doesn't get to 170lbs unless he fattens up to try and be at a competitive weight...

Penn walks around at 165lbs soaking wet...he's a LW...

do u think GSP is a MW becuz he cuts weight to make 170lbs?

there are no blurry lines...ur confusing walk-around weight with fighting weight or something like that...

Omg this is the most confusing thing I've ever read and proves my point exactly.

The amount of weight guys cut varies. If Tibau fought at 170 he would still have to cut weight. So I don't really get the point. Thiago Alves cuts a ****load to make WW' date=' so is he really a MW?[/quote']

A guy is in the weight class he fights in regardless of the amount of weight he cuts to get there. A dude could walk around at 220 and cut 70 pounds and still make 155.. which makes him a Lightweight.

The weight class someone is in currently in the weight class they belong too. For example, Anderson Silva sparatically moves up to fight at 205 but since he is champ at 185, is more focused (arguably) on the MW division and mainly fights at said division, he is a MW. Likewise, during the time of GSP II, Bj was a LW who put on 15 pounds and fought at 170 for one fight, which does not make him a LW.

I don't think he will abandon his beloved boxing but he probably will be looking to take the fight to the ground more often than he does now. e.g. use his boxing to setup takedowns more.

His top game is outstanding. His percentage for finishing a fight by rear naked choke after he gets the mount position is very high.

In my honest oppinion I don't think BJ trained his boxing as much as he used to after the Diego fight? Why would he? Diego was storming all competitors with his new improved stand-up that he was claiming he possessed (at this time he was training with De La Hoya). And BJ did what? Trained his boxing. And put one of the worst beatdowns in MMA history to a guy that everyone said (even myself) was going to be the toughest competition today. Fight ended, and what happened he was still champ. I don't think Edgar outboxed him I do think he brought more to the table though and wouldn't quit. Because even Paquio's trainer said he thought Penn was the best boxer in all MMA, and that he could go pro in it if he wanted to... Let Penn resurface and train "EVERYTHING" and we will see the old Penn..

Archived