ST. PIERRE VS SHIELDS: who would win?

The_Power

So the word is Jake Shields is coming to the UFC. If he is in fact coming most likely he will be in the welterweight division. Whether he gets an immediate title shot or not is the question. I don't see him defeating GSP. Obviously GSP's stand up is way better than Shields. As for the ground game, they are both good on the ground, But after watching George beat up NCAA wrestlers and BJJ black belts i would say GSP's ground game is better. In a fight i see GSP standing with Shields. Shields will go for take downs. GSP will obviously school him on the ground. basically it will be all up to him how he wants to beat Shields. kO/TKO or SUB.

lol @ you saying there will be a finish.. looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.. ' ; '

in the words of joe rogan "thats just unbelieveable!"..

all in all it would be a VEEEEEERY technical match, and the winner would be whoever was on top most.. either way the fans dont win..

So the word is Jake Shields is coming to the UFC. If he is in fact coming most likely he will be in the welterweight division. Whether he gets an immediate title shot or not is the question. I don't see him defeating GSP. Obviously GSP's stand up is way better than Shields. As for the ground game' date=' they are both good on the ground, But after watching George beat up NCAA wrestlers and BJJ black belts i would say GSP's ground game is better. In a fight i see GSP standing with Shields. Shields will go for take downs. GSP will obviously school him on the ground. basically it will be all up to him how he wants to beat Shields. kO/TKO or SUB.[/quote']

I think that St Pierre would try to stand in this one but GSP has never fought a fighter as skilled on the ground as jake and i believe that Jake would have a chance if he could get the takedown.

Nah' date=' I think it would be a stand up clinic put on by GSP. He won't need to take it to the ground because Jake's stand up sucks, he's a soft puncher, and Jake's strength is the ground game. GSP 2nd round TKO.[/quote']

dude, he stood with Hendo for awhile and Hendo's stand up is 10000000000X more dangerous than GSPs.

Nah' date=' I think it would be a stand up clinic put on by GSP. He won't need to take it to the ground because Jake's stand up sucks, he's a soft puncher, and Jake's strength is the ground game. GSP 2nd round TKO.[/quote']

ya that's what i meant. GSP will keep it standing but if Jake happens to take him down GSP will either work his way on top and try to sub or GnP or he will stand back up and keep the fight standing to take Jake out of his comfort zone.

dude' date=' he stood with Hendo for awhile and Hendo's stand up is 10000000000X more dangerous than GSPs.[/quote']

LOL and what did that get him? I seem to remember Sheilds going face first down from Hendo's right hand. He didn't stand at all with him after that.

Indeed I think it depend on if JakeShields can put GSP down.We cant really know that because Jake have some good unique takedown but GSP have surely the best TD defense in UFC(whit Bj). Jake TD surely gonna be the biggest problem to solve for GSP. But like we know GSP, he's gonna be very well prepared for that. Beside that i dont see how Jake can win this. I think in order to beat GSP a fighter must have 2 pincipal strenght

Good TD defense( To prevent GSP to control the fight were he want at will) and good striking and Ko power ( to be able to finish him). JakeShields got none of those strenght.

I think that St Pierre would try to stand in this one but GSP has never fought a fighter as skilled on the ground as jake and i believe that Jake would have a chance if he could get the takedown.

You're outta your mind...Jake Shields is a joke! George would destroy him on the ground.

So the word is Jake Shields is coming to the UFC. If he is in fact coming most likely he will be in the welterweight division. Whether he gets an immediate title shot or not is the question. I don't see him defeating GSP. Obviously GSP's stand up is way better than Shields. As for the ground game' date=' they are both good on the ground, But after watching George beat up NCAA wrestlers and BJJ black belts i would say GSP's ground game is better. In a fight i see GSP standing with Shields. Shields will go for take downs. GSP will obviously school him on the ground. basically it will be all up to him how he wants to beat Shields. kO/TKO or SUB.[/quote']

Yeah...this would be a pointless matchup...

Shields's G'n'P is LAUGHABLY bad....and his standup isn't much better...

His only shot would be a sub, and with GSP's wrestling and BJJ being as good as it is, I don't see that happening; the only reason Shields beat Hendo is because Dan's conditioning was trash, and he essentially gassed after nearly KO'ing him in RD1.

Shields would have a hard time with most of the top competition at WW; I'd say Fitch, Alves, even the Fraggle would have better odds for a W than he would.

You're outta your mind...Jake Shields is a joke! George would destroy him on the ground.

Jake Shields a joke ?? He got a better BJJ game then GSP and even GSP have said it.

I know mma its not just about BJJ but if Jake can put GSP down he can surely try to lay on him. Even if i think Jake cannot really lay and pray on him for an entire round, JakeShields is not a joke and I think this fight should happen just to see who is the better on the ground and how each other gonna react to their opponnent skills.

You guys are goofs...realize that the Shields/Hendo fight was Shield's second fight at 185...and he fought Hendo who is a legend in the sport, and naturally a bigger guy...Shield's natural weight is at 170, I think he'll have more power behind his punches if he fought at WW...him against GSP is a great match up, and great for both of their careers...

Personally I think GSP has better stand up skills (he is a black belt in Karate)...On the ground they might cancel each other...the reason being is they are both great at wrestling and have good bjj, although Shield's bjj might be better...

If GSP wins it will be because he showed the world his striking skills (which some goofs seem to not see)...If Shields wins it will be because either he caught him with a punch or a submission...

Truthfully I would rather GSP win by decision, but if Shields won by decision I wouldn't mind...If either of them gets finished they lose value, but if its a close decision, both of their legends will become better!

Jake Shields represents what GSP is trying to accomplish...a natural WW moving up to MW to challenge himself against bigger fighters...

Why do people say he'll get mauled by Alves, Fitch, Kos, etc, etc.

Clearly a fighter with excellent wrestling and bjj is a bad match up for those guys, look what happened when they fought GSP!

HaHa

GSP would probably keep Shields at bay with jabs, superman punches, and leg kicks for a round or two. Then he'd take a softened up Shields down and work his face for a while. Then he'd go for a submission on a mentally and physically drained Shields and probably get it. That's how I see the fight going anyway. I don't think it would be as boring as people think.

Jake Shields a joke ?? He got a better BJJ game then GSP and even GSP have said it.

I know mma its not just about BJJ but if Jake can put GSP down he can surely try to lay on him. Even if i think Jake cannot really lay and pray on him for an entire round' date=' JakeShields is not a joke and I think this fight should happen just to see who is the better on the ground and how each other gonna react to their opponnent skills.[/quote']

Jake Shields is indeed a joke.. Just like the Strikeforce middleweight divisoin. frickin jason miller gave shields a run for his money and thats frickin JASON MILLER..GSP can and will dominate Jake "I need a shield" Shields...Not to discredit shields but he's not in the elite class that GSP and a handfull of others are in...

Jake Shields is indeed a joke.. Just like the Strikeforce middleweight divisoin. frickin jason miller gave shields a run for his money and thats frickin JASON MILLER..GSP can and will dominate Jake "I need a shield" Shields...Not to discredit shields but he's not in the elite class that GSP and a handfull of others are in...

You do know that GSP fought Mayhem as well and won by decision, AS WELL!

Ya like i say he dont got the 2 key strength in order to beat GSP. But JakeShields is surely the best threat on the ground that GSP as never face and for Jake is the same. I'm just curious on how they gonna handle each others.

Jake Shields represents what GSP is trying to accomplish...a natural WW moving up to MW to challenge himself against bigger fighters...

Why do people say he'll get mauled by Alves' date=' Fitch, Kos, etc, etc.

Clearly a fighter with excellent wrestling and bjj is a bad match up for those guys, look what happened when they fought GSP!

HaHa[/quote']

To compare Shields to GSP as a "legend" is ABSURD.

GSP's striking and G'n'P are VASTLY superior to Shields, and their grappling may very well cancel each other out.

I see ZERO advantages for Shields in this fight.

And no one has said Shields would get "mauled" by Fitch/Alves/etc. but to think that those would not be VERY competetive fights where Shields has a very real chance of losing is foolish.

Archived