Fighters never change

TAM83

AS MMA MOVES FORWARD DO YOU THINK THESES FIGHTERS CAN KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGE?,I MEAN CHANGES LIKE THE TECHNICAL SIDE AND THE PACE THE FIGHTS ARE GOING AT NOW THESES DAYS.FIGHTERS LIKE GRIFFIN,LIDDELL,FRANKLIN,ORTIZ,MIR AND ON AND ON.....

I AM VERY GRATEFUL WHAT THEY HAVE GIVEN TO THE SPORT BUT I THINK SOME FIGHTERS STRUGGLE TO CHANGE THERE WAYS,TITO ALWAYS TRYS FOR THE TAKEDOWN,CHUCK ALWAYS GO'S FOR THE KNOCKOUT,MIR A ONE TRICK PONY AND GRIFFIN IS JUST GRIFFIN.

UFC AND MMA IS CHANGING SO FAST THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO ADAPT YOUR GAME AGAINST WHO YOUR FIGHTING,THE WHOLE WORLD KNEW GSP WAS GNA TAKE DAN HARDY DOWN EVERY TIME AND HARDY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BUT HE DIDNT....HE KNOWS HOW TO PUNCH SO WHY DIDNT HARDY DO A TRAINING CAMP ON TAKEDOWN DEFENCE??? IM SURE IF YOU WORK HARD ON IT YOU COULD ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL BUT YOU CANT ALWAYS RELY ON YOUR STRONG POINTS.

YOU GET WERE AM GOING ON THIS SO I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINIONS PLZ.:confused:

can the "second generation" of mma fighter survive in the current environment' date=' or thrive as they once did...? i dont think so...it's kinda the nature of the beast, i guess...it kinda sucks to see legends become stepping stones and gatekeepers, but the sport moves too fast...[/quote']

yea but Anderson is 35 and still dominant as much as i hated to say that

yea but Anderson is 35 and still dominant as much as i hated to say that

his style is very diverse to begin with. being dynamic affords you a longer fighting life, as you are able to adapt more and more.

anderson might be the exception to the rule. machida is in his 30s too, i believe, like 34 or something; i think it ultimately comes down to how dynamic and versitile you are...you know what i mean...?

AS MMA MOVES FORWARD DO YOU THINK THESES FIGHTERS CAN KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGE?' date='I MEAN CHANGES LIKE THE TECHNICAL SIDE AND THE PACE THE FIGHTS ARE GOING AT NOW THESES DAYS.FIGHTERS LIKE GRIFFIN,LIDDELL,FRANKLIN,ORTIZ,MIR AND ON AND ON.....

I AM VERY GRATEFUL WHAT THEY HAVE GIVEN TO THE SPORT BUT I THINK SOME FIGHTERS STRUGGLE TO CHANGE THERE WAYS,TITO ALWAYS TRYS FOR THE TAKEDOWN,CHUCK ALWAYS GO'S FOR THE KNOCKOUT,MIR A ONE TRICK PONY AND GRIFFIN IS JUST GRIFFIN.

UFC AND MMA IS CHANGING SO FAST THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO ADAPT YOUR GAME AGAINST WHO YOUR FIGHTING,THE WHOLE WORLD KNEW GSP WAS GNA TAKE DAN HARDY DOWN EVERY TIME AND HARDY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BUT HE DIDNT....HE KNOWS HOW TO PUNCH SO WHY DIDNT HARDY DO A TRAINING CAMP ON TAKEDOWN DEFENCE??? IM SURE IF YOU WORK HARD ON IT YOU COULD ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL BUT YOU CANT ALWAYS RELY ON YOUR STRONG POINTS.

YOU GET WERE AM GOING ON THIS SO I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINIONS PLZ.:confused:[/quote']

Tito's got the ground and pound. Chuck can knock you the F out. Mir, i don't even know what the hell. And Forest...is Forest like you said. They will survive for now. Experience can go a long way. Sometimes you just have to stick to your strengths. Someone can train all they want to counter your strenghts, but if we use GSP Vs. Hardy as an example, Hardy worked with Sera on his ground game, and was utterly dominated regardless.

AS MMA MOVES FORWARD DO YOU THINK THESES FIGHTERS CAN KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGE?' date='I MEAN CHANGES LIKE THE TECHNICAL SIDE AND THE PACE THE FIGHTS ARE GOING AT NOW THESES DAYS.FIGHTERS LIKE GRIFFIN,LIDDELL,FRANKLIN,ORTIZ,MIR AND ON AND ON.....

YOU GET WERE AM GOING ON THIS SO I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINIONS PLZ.:confused:[/quote']

I understand what you mean by this and for the most part agree with you ... but....

on some small level fighters are always changing. Even though it may look like it fighters are always learning/adapting and yes even regressing at times when they get hit one too many times.

The other point I'd like to make since I know you are talking about the bigger picture, is that some fighters are capable of large changes. Look at GSP who started with stand up and evoloved into a wrestler. Look at BJ penn who went the other way. A good example is Florian - who is always changing his strategy and improving his game. Koscheck started as a wrestler and now he loved the standup.

There are those fighters who have their specialty and dont change much - Rampage, Mir, Lidell, Tito, ... but to classify that fighters never change only qualifies for certain fighters, certainly not all of them.

Archived