The most misunderstood fighter

Bokchoy

So, first off im going to appologize for another thread about Anderson Silva.

I dont think anyone understands the pressure Silva is under, he gets so much love for show boating when he finishes a guy, and is called amazing, but when he doesnt finish or show boat a bit, he is told he is losing his edge. I think from now on he is really going to hold back on the show boating and straight fight, I believe he thought it was what people wanted to see.

Him finishing opponents in the devastating fashion he did, ( While showboating with Rich franklin), set the bar for himself. He is just trying to meet that standard since that is what sky rocketed him to stardom.

One other thing that bothers me is people questioning the compitition Silva has faced in the UFC. Leben at the time was a scary fighter and was destroying people with KO's, Travis lutter is also a much better fighter then anyone gives credit for, Rich Franklin was a well rounded fighter that was just made to look bad against Silva, Nate Marquardt is a scary scary dude, yes Chael beat him, but nate didnt have much of a bottom game and look what he did to chael from that position. Dan Henderson is a guy that is very rarely finished.

I just dont understand how the Middleweight division is often called the weakest division in the UFC, while it had/has fighters like Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Demian Maia ( Best BJJ in the world), Chael Sonnen(olympic wrestler), Yushin Okami, and yes Michael Bisping ( i hate him and he is overrated, but he is still a good fighter...not GREAT but good).

Anyway to me, Anderson Silva and the middleweight division is the most misunderstood, not saying they are the best division, just overlooked. Another misunderstood fighter for me would have to be Brock, he gets alot of hate on his skills, but the truth is, the guy is a very qualified wrestler who is developing his striking skills, and if they develop..... the heavyweight division should run and hide imo.

So who do you all think is the most misunderstood and why?

underated -

thiago silva (nearly did the ranked no 3 rashad with 3 slipped discs in his back)

Kenny Florian (Kenflo got great skills and always sticks to an excellent game plan)

overated-

frank mir (hes good but not as good as everyone claims, he beat an in experienced brock who was walking over him, then in the rematch a more experienced brock walked thrugh him, hebeat a big nog that should of been in hospital and then check kongo?)

GSP (hes a great wrestler but is scared to strike so not sure about his stand up, his ground and pound is non existant and his submissions are weak, hes good but not as good as everyone makes out)

jon jones (whos he beat?? brandon vera? vera got beat by randy so should randy be champ? yeah jones looks promising but all you huggers trying to jump on his ridge saying how hell destroy him and destroy him need to calm down, your boys not faced any TOP competition yet)

underated -

thiago silva (nearly did the ranked no 3 rashad with 3 slipped discs in his back)

Kenny Florian (Kenflo got great skills and always sticks to an excellent game plan)

overated-

frank mir (hes good but not as good as everyone claims' date=' he beat an in experienced brock who was walking over him, then in the rematch a more experienced brock walked thrugh him, hebeat a big nog that should of been in hospital and then check kongo?)

GSP (hes a great wrestler but is scared to strike so not sure about his stand up, his ground and pound is non existant and his submissions are weak, hes good but not as good as everyone makes out)

jon jones (whos he beat?? brandon vera? vera got beat by randy so should randy be champ? yeah jones looks promising but all you huggers trying to jump on his ridge saying how hell destroy him and destroy him need to calm down, your boys not faced any TOP competition yet)

You r new fan right? Go watch sum older matches from GSP and tell me after watching those that his subs r weak or his stand up is questionable because he is about top3 bst stand up in WW...

jon jones (whos he beat?? brandon vera? vera got beat by randy so should randy be champ? yeah jones looks promising but all you huggers trying to jump on his ridge saying how hell destroy him and destroy him need to calm down' date=' your boys not faced any TOP competition yet)[/quote']

It is not enough to just look at a list of names that he has fought. You have to watch the quality of his performances.

BTW- people were saying the same thing about Shane Carwin and I feel that him and Jones are on the top of my list of most exciting fighters.

You r new fan right? Go watch sum older matches from GSP and tell me after watching those that his subs r weak or his stand up is questionable because he is about top3 bst stand up in WW...

He is saying is scared NOW, after the loss to Serra, have you seen his preformances? They are quite questionable

And YES! Thiago Silva is definatly the most underrated fighter in the UFC IMO! This guy has got skills and determination, even injured the wrestling pedigree of rashad could barely hold him down, thiago was injured and his cardio was lacking, if it were not for this, at the 3rd round when he almost finished rashad but stepped back because he couldnt swing anymore would not have happened, it would have been another fish lip night for rashad.

oh ive seen his old stand up, the thing is the games evolved, if he dont have confidence in his stand up now then why should i...??? what cause i dont have a crush on him like the rest of you ball huggers i should still exagerate him like you do? hes shown no formidable stand up against any recent competition who is scared to stand and bang with him? and all he has shown is that he is scared to stand, as for his submissions lol how can you defend his submissions after those lame attempts against hardy... let me guess it wasnt gsp's fault it was hardy with his rubber arms right? you nutt huggers always look for an excuse that shows it wasnt your mans fault, your like girlfriends, come on fella pull your mouth away from gsp's manhood so you can see the big picture.

oh and if i was going to watch old ufc there are alot more great fighters and fights id watch before gsps, not to say that gsp is or was a bad fighter but hes not as good as you nutt huggers make out.

It is not enough to just look at a list of names that he has fought. You have to watch the quality of his performances.

BTW- people were saying the same thing about Shane Carwin and I feel that him and Jones are on the top of my list of most exciting fighters.

i agree with what your saying here fella, and im not questioning that jones is looking impressive or dangerous, what i was trying to get across and it would seem that i failed is that hes not as good as people are making him out, ive heard people talking of title contender... let put the brakes on here! no its not about loking at a list of names but to get a title shot or atleast be ranked in the top 5 you at least have to beat top ten fighters, again im not saying hes not good, i actually feel that in a couple of years he will be a dominant champ, im just saying that he hasnt proved hes as good as everyone is making out.

So' date=' first off im going to appologize for another thread about Anderson Silva.

I dont think anyone understands the pressure Silva is under, he gets so much love for show boating when he finishes a guy, and is called amazing, but when he doesnt finish or show boat a bit, he is told he is losing his edge. I think from now on he is really going to hold back on the show boating and straight fight, I believe he thought it was what people wanted to see.

Him finishing opponents in the devastating fashion he did, ( While showboating with Rich franklin), set the bar for himself. He is just trying to meet that standard since that is what sky rocketed him to stardom.

One other thing that bothers me is people questioning the compitition Silva has faced in the UFC. Leben at the time was a scary fighter and was destroying people with KO's, Travis lutter is also a much better fighter then anyone gives credit for, Rich Franklin was a well rounded fighter that was just made to look bad against Silva, Nate Marquardt is a scary scary dude, yes Chael beat him, but nate didnt have much of a bottom game and look what he did to chael from that position. Dan Henderson is a guy that is very rarely finished.

I just dont understand how the Middleweight division is often called the weakest division in the UFC, while it had/has fighters like Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Demian Maia ( Best BJJ in the world), Chael Sonnen(olympic wrestler), Yushin Okami, and yes Michael Bisping ( i hate him and he is overrated, but he is still a good fighter...not GREAT but good).

Anyway to me, Anderson Silva and the middleweight division is the most misunderstood, not saying they are the best division, just overlooked. Another misunderstood fighter for me would have to be Brock, he gets alot of hate on his skills, but the truth is, the guy is a very qualified wrestler who is developing his striking skills, and if they develop..... the heavyweight division should run and hide imo.

So who do you all think is the most misunderstood and why?[/quote']

brock isnt hated for his lack of skill he is hated for his pro wrestling background and the way hes been bringing the WWE in to the UFC, i dont care if yoy put those 2 in a blender, they wouldn't mix

The most misunderstood guy in the UFC has to be Michael Bisping.

Unfortunately all Americans (and some British) fans just really dont get the guy, I personally think the guy is hilarious and while he doesnt have the intellect of a Sonnen or Hardy he still makes me laugh with his comments leading up to fights.

Seriously... he's not so bad guys!

Unfortunately all Americans (and some British) fans just really dont get the guy' date=' I personally think the guy is hilarious and while he doesnt have the intellect of a Sonnen or Hardy he still makes me laugh with his comments leading up to fights.

Seriously... he's not so bad guys![/quote']

i think im going to have to disagree i think bisping is a ****y piece of **** with fly swatters for fists, and he isnt afraid to let the ufc community know about it

I hav enothing against Anderson Silvas style at all. Its up to the other fighters to take him out. Its not Silvas problem that he wins the way he does. Same with GSP. Its not up to GSP to go in there and attack a guy the way a crowd wants him to attack.lol. Its up to the other fighter to have an answer for what Anderson Silva or GSP does.

Maia stated clearly in his interview after the fight that he KNEW what Silva was going to do . SO YOU FRIGGIN TRAIN to counter him somehow. and IF you cant train to counter him, you shouldnt even be fighting the guy in the first place, because your obviously not ready. Thats my opinion.

UFC should NEVER have made that fight , they know it, we know it. Nuff Said.

Its even worse for Maia in my opinion, because now he KNOWS that hes not going to be champion until Silva get beaten by someone else in the division and that may never even happen. So it must suck to be Maia. Anderson Silva just walks away thinking , hey i won the fight , he couldnt beat me. Maia walks away saying "man Silva should never of said that to me"

but hey Maia lost and never looked like he could win. Maybe towards the end. But thats a bit late, the guy couldnt even see out of his eyes anymore. He never looked even remotely close in taking Silva down and only started to throw some hands towards the end of the fight. In my opinion, if this title shot is what you always wanted and trained for your whole life. Maia should of just RAN at him, done something, ANYTHING, other than just keep your hands up for the whole fight getting yelled and screamed at. If you cant handle getting yelled at, how the HELL will you be champion ?????

Unfortunately all Americans (and some British) fans just really dont get the guy' date=' I personally think the guy is hilarious and while he doesnt have the intellect of a Sonnen or Hardy he still makes me laugh with his comments leading up to fights.

Seriously... he's not so bad guys![/quote']

I was thinking Michael as well, he's not as dumb as some people think he is.

Archived