Report: Joe Stevenson to meet Takanori Gomi at UFC on Versus 2.

Ttnsmddn9

Two UFC Lightweight stars coming off of disappointing peformances in their last bouts are expected to meet at the upcoming UFC on Versus 2 show as MMA Mania is reporting that former PRIDE Champion Takanori Gomi and former UFC Lightweight Championship challenger Joe Stevenson have verbally agreed to a bout at the event.

Stevenson saw a two-fight winning streak snapped by George Sotiropoulos at UFC 110 in February in a bout that saw the strength and wrestling of Stevenson neutralized by the Aussie for fifteen full minutes on his way to a unanimous decision win. Stevenson's record with the UFC since joining the promotion following the second season of The Ultimate Fighter sits at 8-5, but he is just 2-3 in his last five bouts.

Gomi debuted in the UFC at UFC Fight Night 21 late last month and was completely dominated by Kenny Florian for the majority of the bout before Florian earned a rear naked choke submission midway through the third round. Gomi has been very hit and miss since his prime days in PRIDE, going just 4-3 since the promotion collapsed in April of 2007 following a 13-1, 1 NC career mark in the Japanese promotion.

UFC on Versus 2 takes place on August 1st and is expected to be held at the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah, though there has been no official announcement from the promotion regarding the venue.

Source: http://www.nokaut.com/?id=12&solo_news=5372&lang=e&title=Joe+Stevenson+and+Takanori+Gomi+To+Meet+At+UFC+On+Versus+2

seems pretty cool. I got Joe Daddy via UD

I agree. Gomi gets his walking papers after. Gomi hasn't been a top LW in years. He was gassed after a 5 minute round with Nick Diaz and hasn't looked good since. He was delusional looking past Florian and talking about avenging his loss against Penn. Penn would do what Florian did to him and choke him out (again)

I think some of the japanese fighters are being passed up because of a lack of high level training partners. Gomi is probably the man in his training camps where Florian and Stevenson are getting their asses kicked throughout training by Greg Jackson fighters that don't even need to be named.

Did they just get Gomi so he could headline on network TV?

It might end up being co-main with both coming off of a loss. I think they got Gomi hoping he could get lucky and land a bomb on Kenny so they have someone a lot of the casual fans don't realize Penn has already beat way back when it was a quality win. Now they are just doing damage control by sending Stevenson in there so they can cut gomi if he loses again.

It might end up being co-main with both coming off of a loss. I think they got Gomi hoping he could get lucky and land a bomb on Kenny so they have someone a lot of the casual fans don't realize Penn has already beat way back when it was a quality win. Now they are just doing damage control by sending Stevenson in there so they can cut gomi if he loses again.

I don't think they would cut him because of his name.

I think he should drop to 145 though.

I don't think they would cut him because of his name.

I think he should drop to 145 though.

Gomi is a bit big for 145. He's 170+ like most LWs. Use to fight at 161 I don't think 145 is a good idea considering he gasses easily at 155. Think about it dude... unless he knocked someone out in the first 2 or 3 minutes he would lose by gassing at the end of round one. He already gasses after a round at 155 and his last 161 fight against Diaz he's completely gassed after a round and gets choked out 2 minutes into the second.

If he cut to 145 I doubt he would be able to even stand up on the scales to be officially weighed in and like I said he would have about 3 minutes worth of cardio tops after that cut.

Gomi is a bit big for 145. He's 170+ like most LWs. Use to fight at 161 I don't think 145 is a good idea considering he gasses easily at 155. Think about it dude... unless he knocked someone out in the first 2 or 3 minutes he would lose by gassing at the end of round one. He already gasses after a round at 155 and his last 161 fight against Diaz he's completely gassed after a round and gets choked out 2 minutes into the second.

If he cut to 145 I doubt he would be able to even stand up on the scales to be officially weighed in and like I said he would have about 3 minutes worth of cardio tops after that cut.

His walking weight is 170?

To me, it looked like he didn't cut ANY weight to make 155 because he was so scrawny walking into last fight, so I guess I was just basing on that.

If he's really that size then 145 would be a horrible idea.

I wouldn't even put it as the co main. I am REALLY crossing my fingers to see James Toney on this card.

they give out unfair fights' date=' exactly what i said. gomi shouldnt be fighting joe, he should fight someone he has a chance at beating. someone that will strike with him[/quote']

If you're going to fight in the UFC you better know how to win.

Your logic is stupid.

Gomi was a huge name coming over, and his fight vs. KenFlo was to determine who would be #1 contender. I'm sure you knew that didn't you?

His walking weight is 170?

To me' date=' it looked like he didn't cut ANY weight to make 155 because he was so scrawny walking into last fight, so I guess I was just basing on that.

If he's really that size then 145 would be a horrible idea.[/quote']

Pretty much all notable LWs are 168 or higher except for Edgar who is about 160 tops. Florian, Penn and several others are 168 or so in shape weight but probably get over 170 at times. Others like Sherk, Nate Diaz and Tyson Griffin are like 175-180 and the weight cutting freak that is Gleison Tibau is 185. Making 155 cannot be healthy for him. He looked like a MW fighting a FW in his bout with Caol Uno.

Pretty much all notable LWs are 168 or higher except for Edgar who is about 160 tops. Florian' date=' Penn and several others are 168 or so in shape weight but probably get over 170 at times. Others like Sherk, Nate Diaz and Tyson Griffin are like 175-180 and the weight cutting freak that is Gleison Tibau is 185. Making 155 cannot be healthy for him. He looked like a MW fighting a FW in his bout with Caol Uno.[/quote']

Lol that would make sense, but Gomi looked underweight to me. Caol shouldn't even be fighting at LW, it looks like he has to gain weight to get to there. Someone said it before, but Japanese fighters as a whole don't usually like to cut weight when they come over here.

Living in Utah I thought that running an event in Utah on a Sunday was crazy but after I thought about it more and more I think Sunday will be great. The Jazz are playing the Denevr Nuggets tonight in Utah and its a sell out crowed so running an event on Sundays is possible. The fan base my be bigger on Saturday but im sure there will be fans coming in from out of state and plenty of fans in Utah showing up for the event. I cant wait for the event I wish it was a PPV since it will be my first UFC but I'm just happy to attend this event.

Archived