New top10 P4P rankings

MadeOfCornSyrup

1. anderson silva, most title defenses long winning streak and has moved up in weight and still won. would probably hold the WW and HW belts if he wasnt friends with machida.

2. Randy Couture, held belts in two weight divisions. just didnt hold the belt as long as silva.

3. Fedor, pretty much undefeated except for a illegal blow that took him out of a tournament.

would be higher if he held a belt.

4.chuck liddel. long win streaks held the belt awhile and beat the best in the ufc.

5. GSP. improves everytime he fights going to be tough for anyone to take the belt.

6. Matt Hughes. good all around fighter held the title for a good amount of time.

7. BJ Penn. Even with a surprising loss to edgar still one of the most dominate champs.

8. Machida, look to move up if he can hold the title.

9. Aldo, also look to move up if he can hold his title

10. tito ortiz. even though his recent troubles he still held the belt nearly three years and beat some of the best in the game.

honorable mentions: didnt rank these guys cause ufc was way different and who knows how they would have done in their prime by todays rules: royce gracie, don frye, dan severn, and mark coleman. close runners up ken shamrock, kimo, pat smith.

How can gsp be considered p4p one of the best when he never moves up or down a weight class?! At least silva and bj have tested themselves at a higher weight class throughout their careers (bj winning belts at 2 different weight classes). If a fighter fights only in one weight class, then all talk of p4p is pure speculation!! I know you could probably use the same logic to criticise fedor, machida etc but I'm not sure if they've fought at different weights??

I've always thought the ranking system for P4P is a bit odd...

I can understand Anderson being number 1 because he fights in 2 weight divisions and is probably the best...I can understand BJ being up there as well because he also fought in 2 weight divisions and was a reigning champion...

I don't understand GSP and Fedor though, sure they are amazing fighters but they only fight in 1 division...in boxing, guys like PacMan and Money FloyId are ranked P4P because they've dominated more than 1 weight division...

If I were the one making the list I'd have to consider guys like Couture, Belfort, Franklin (to an extent) Shields, Moussasi, Wanderlei, and Henderson...

I can understand Anderson being number 1 because he fights in 2 weight divisions and is probably the best...I can understand BJ being up there as well because he also fought in 2 weight divisions and was a reigning champion...

I don't understand GSP and Fedor though' date=' sure they are amazing fighters but they only fight in 1 division...in boxing, guys like PacMan and Money FloyId are ranked P4P because they've dominated more than 1 weight division...

[b']If I were the one making the list I'd have to consider guys like Couture, Belfort, Franklin (to an extent) Shields, Moussasi, Wanderlei, and Henderson[/b]...

you would likely make a veteran list instead p4p wandy is way past his prime so is couture franklin and hendo

you would likely make a veteran list instead p4p wandy is way past his prime so is couture franklin and hendo

Maybe Franklin, Wandy and Hendo but Couture still has a lot of fight in him...he can compete with the best in the 205 division

It's nearly impossible to come up with a list that everyone will agree upon. I think that Fitch is warranted. Maybe not so much for Alves, we will see if he bounces back and beats Fitch. That would be a huge win and would make him deserving of the p4p list.

Aldo is freakishly good. I think he deserves to be at least #4. I don't agree with Machida's spot. If he beats shogun convincingly then maybe. My list would be:

1. Anderson Silva

2. GSP

3. Tie: Jose Aldo and Fedor

5. Lyoto Machida

6. BJ Penn. One loss shouldn't drop you down very far. (We will know more after the rematch)

7. Cain Velasquez (To me he's like a younger version of Fedor)

8. Jon Fitch

9. not sure

10. not sure

It get's harder the further you get down the list.

taken from Sherdog' date=' pretty interesting ratings, I agree with top 5.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-Pound-for-Pound-Top-10-24164

1. Anderson Silva

2. GSP

3.Fedor

4 Lyoto Machida

5.Jose Aldo

6.Jon Fitch

7.Frankie Edgar

8.Bj Penn

9.Jake Shields

10. Thiago Alves[/quote']

i think the p4p ranking sounds better then it really is and unless a fool proof system has been devised, i don't see my self getting on board with referring to it.

but the blackhouse team must feel great with having 3 of the top 5 on the list.

WHAT?

Jon Fitch on this list? Completely discreditted.

Thiago Alves at 10? Is this some kind of joke?

You read my mind bro. Although I disagree with your other post I would put Cain or Carwin in the 9 or 10 spot before JDS. But either one of them is more deserving then Alves.

Maybe Franklin' date=' Wandy and Hendo but Couture still has a lot of fight in him...he can compete with the best in the 205 division[/quote']

maybe you re right , but when i watched couture with vera he was only fighting on heart not cardio or his greco wrestling heart can take yolu this far but he is oldschool , trow couture at the hands of bones

maybe you re right ' date=' but when i watched couture with vera he was only fighting on heart not cardio or his greco wrestling heart can take yolu this far but he is oldschool , trow couture at the hands of bones[/quote']

Yeah, I think Couture vs Jones would be an amazing fight...and I think Couture would lose, but I also think Couture would match up great with Machida

taken from Sherdog' date=' pretty interesting ratings, I agree with top 5.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-Pound-for-Pound-Top-10-24164

[b']1. Anderson Silva

2. GSP[/b]

3.Fedor

4 Lyoto Machida

5.Jose Aldo

6.Jon Fitch

7.Frankie Edgar

8.Bj Penn

9.Jake Shields

10. Thiago Alves

GSP/Anderson Silva are the 2 top for sure. No one is close to them.

I don't understand GSP and Fedor though' date=' sure they are amazing fighters but they only fight in 1 division...in boxing, guys like PacMan and Money FloyId are ranked P4P because they've dominated more than 1 weight division...

If I were the one making the list I'd have to consider guys like Couture, Belfort, Franklin (to an extent) Shields, Moussasi, Wanderlei, and Henderson...[/quote']

mma world its different but i understand your arguement and p4p list should be in category/weight class.

How can gsp be considered p4p one of the best when he never moves up or down a weight class?! At least silva and bj have tested themselves at a higher weight class throughout their careers (bj winning belts at 2 different weight classes). If a fighter fights only in one weight class' date=' then all talk of p4p is pure speculation!! I know you could probably use the same logic to criticise fedor, machida etc but I'm not sure if they've fought at different weights??[/quote']

p4p has NOTHING to do with moving up in weight. And Bj Penn moving up and getting his **** kicked does not make him a better fighter.

p4p = fighters record, competition they have fought, Dominate ....

p4p has NOTHING to do with moving up in weight. And Bj Penn moving up and getting his **** kicked does not make him a better fighter.

p4p = fighters record' date='[/u'] competition they have fought, Dominate ....

Explain what p4p means then? And explain why anderson silva moving up and beating griffin cemented his place at the top of the p4p rankings?

Glad to see they are finally pushing Fedor down the list where he belongs. Aldo should probably be there but I think the fact that the lower weight divisions are kind of new mainstream wise and the contenders are not fully proven yet keeps them out for the time being. I think to if A. Silva fights like he did last fight he needs to be edged down due his inability to fully dictate how the fight plays out. (I.E. if his opponent doesn't come charging in striking Silva tends to just stand back and wait.)

p4p = fighters record' date='[/u'] competition they have fought, Dominate ....

then fedor should be #1 since he got zero loss

The top five spots are really the only spots that are a given. After that, i never pay attention. I only discuss the top 5 most of the time anyway. I agree that BJ, Shields and Fitch should be there, but the other two guys not so much.

Explain what p4p means then? And explain why anderson silva moving up and beating griffin cemented his place at the top of the p4p rankings?

P4P mean skill regardless of size. Silva beating Griffin solidified his spot on many lists because Griffin was the former Champion and Silva made him look like an amateur. The whole thing behind P4P is an opinion based on the fact that because of the weight differences most of these fighter will never face each other. It usually takes into account competition faced, win streaks titles won and defended etc.

A guy like SIlva going up and wining at LHW doesn't hurt peoples opinions, but on the flip side BJ Penn losing at WW doesn't really hurt him either.

Clearly there are still tons of noobs who aren't quite aware that the term "P4P" is meaningless, has no basis in reality, and proves nothing. It is a fantasy term used to level LWs with HWs (and everything in between) onto a comparative level of skill, not based on weight. It's the most subjective category ever devised in combat sports, and I loathe the term. Meaningless.

Fedor does have a loss. It was a sketchy call over a cut but the fact remains that he lost. Machida is undefeated however.

Fedor also has double the fights in only 3 more years than Machida. Throw in yearly dominance in the national Sambo tourneys, and to mention Machida in the same breath as Fedor should be a capital offence.

No' date=' it's more of the competition they faced, just like how GSP, A silva, etc, are all fighting top competition, where fedor isn't.[/quote']

gaysp and a.silva never meet any top competition fighters yet.

Archived