Was Crocop ever that good?

SCOver2

I assume you never watched Pride...

Yes, Crocop was really that good.

Yes, a ring and a cage are VERY different venues to fight in.

Yes, 6 months after he won in Pride he came to UFC and in his UFC debut, uh, won.

Yes, he has aged.

I'd say Crocop peaked in 04 or 05...he won the GP but it wasn't the best Mirko we've ever seen win it. And it was a downhill journey for a while, but the last time he lost was to JDS, which there's never any shame in losing to one of the top 5 guys in the division. And other than 07's stinker run against Gabe and Kongo, he's been a solid addition to UFC's division. He won't be a contender again, but he's still a great striker.

does personal problems count ?

Mike Goldberg - "one could argue joe that mirko's personal life had taken a toll on him and he's just never been the same"

Joe - "or the competition in pride just never compared to UFC"

Mike Goldberg - " your right joe"

dude just watch some of his old tapes

the dude was impossible to take down

so he never needed ta worry bout the ground

If Cro Cop stays as a HW..he wont get far and as a LHW..there is too much competition, he just has to keep beating cans for paychecks.

Crocop was the man. Lesnar can only dream of the succes of Crocop. I personally think that Gonzaga head kick killed him. He came way to overconfident in that fight and pay the price. Now the damage has already been done. A lot of fighters arent the same after a brutal KO like that.

I Crocop would be the same fighter as he was he would make Lesnar look like a fool

He was good at what he did. But he is too one dimensional. As the sport evolved into more rounded combat he never and has paid the price. in pride a few years ago fighters had their distinctive style, and one you knew their style they were relatively easy to outfight.

alot of people lose their motivation after gaining the belt!

+1 I actually think this is a problem with a lot top of fighters. Just imagine that you have been fighting for ten years and achieved everything. And after that you come to another promotion to do it all again. It must be very difficult to find motivation. And Crocop was a top guy in two different organiztions. K1 and Pride. I just think he had enough and he said that himself. He actually said before the Pride OWPG that if he wouldnt won it that he would retire right there. I bealive he just lost a lot of motivation after winning that tournament. If he would be properly motivated he would train in the cage and with elbows for the Gonzaga fight but he didnt.

I personally bealive that he will retire after Berry fight win or lose. He said that he would retire already but that its very hard to just stop being a fighter since he has been that for his whole life.

He was good at what he did. But he is too one dimensional. As the sport evolved into more rounded combat he never and has paid the price. in pride a few years ago fighters had their distinctive style' date=' and one you knew their style they were relatively easy to outfight.[/quote']

Why do you say that game has changed? Maybe a little but not so much. Just look at JDS he only fights standup, he is also one dimensional than. Or even Brock, he does the same thing that Coleman did. There arent that many multi dimensional fighters out there. Cain and Mir and Gonzaga are probably the most diverse in the HW but other than that there arent that many well rounded fighters even now.

I would say that with these old legends motivation and their fight age are the biggest problems

Come on' date=' you cant say Cro Cop is not one dimentional. When was the last time you seen him go for a takedown or make someone tap out?[/quote']

Well of course he is. I am not saying that he isnt. I am just saying that there are still one dimensional fighters in the UFC that are doing great. When did you see JDS go for a takedown. I actually think that JDS is what Crocop once was.

+1 I actually think this is a problem with a lot top of fighters. Just imagine that you have been fighting for ten years and achieved everything. And after that you come to another promotion to do it all again. It must be very difficult to find motivation. And Crocop was a top guy in two different organiztions. K1 and Pride. I just think he had enough and he said that himself. He actually said before the Pride OWPG that if he wouldnt won it that he would retire right there. I bealive he just lost a lot of motivation after winning that tournament. If he would be properly motivated he would train in the cage and with elbows for the Gonzaga fight but he didnt.

I personally bealive that he will retire after Berry fight win or lose. He said that he would retire already but that its very hard to just stop being a fighter since he has been that for his whole life.

i agree

Did anyone catch Cro Cop vs. Aleks Emelianenko on The Best of Pride last week? I have seen some of his Pride fights' date=' but it was my first time seeing that particular one. It was awesome. Fedor's lil' bro got Cro Cop'd. Left high kick + right temple = night-night time.[/quote']

better yet did u see fedor watching that fight?

better yet did u see fedor watching that fight?

Better yet did you see Fedor fight Mirko and beat him at his own game with a broken hand? Mirko was an awesome striker but with age he seems to have slowed. I hate to say it but he looked pathetic against Dos Santos. Someone said he's going to kick Pat Barrys head off... well if thats the case he better come prepared because Pat is a good striker as well with brutal leg kicks. I'd like to see it though. If Mirko can't get that leg up on a 5'11" guy when he's landed it on Aleks who is 6'6" then it's probably time to retire if he loses to Pat. I loved watching him in pride but I don't want to see him fight poorly anymore because I'm sick of threads like this questioning his abilities from the past. Fact is the man is 35 or 36 and had a lot more fights then just MMA bouts. Either beat Pat by stoppage or retire.

Come on' date=' you cant say Cro Cop is not one dimentional. When was the last time you seen him go for a takedown or make someone tap out?[/quote']

Chuck Liddell, GSP, Damian Maia etc..... using mainly your strength doent make you any less of a fighter...maybe more boring though..

Mirko went on a 7 fight win streak before losing on points to the best HW ever.

Yes he was a fantastic fighter...he was prob the 2nd best HW in pride when pride was miles & miles ahead of the UFC.

He would have eaten up the UFC HW division back then (Arlowski & Sylvia)

Chuck Liddell' date=' GSP, Damian Maia etc..... using mainly your strength doent make you any less of a fighter...maybe more boring though..

Mirko went on a 7 fight win streak before losing on points to the best HW ever.

Yes he was a fantastic fighter...he was prob the 2nd best HW in pride when pride was miles & miles ahead of the UFC.

He would have eaten up the UFC HW division back then (Arlowski & Sylvia)[/quote']

this is true

back when you could focus on 1 part of your game and still dominate

this guy was a beast

no matter how many times he losses nowadays i still love cro cop

6 months after winning the Pride GP' date=' his crowning career achievement, he got destroyed in the UFC, again, again, and again.

Did he age in 6 months or was he overrated to begin with?[/quote']

He's been in MMA since 96 man, time gets us all! he's beaten 87% of the best within K-1 - Pride - UFC a prime Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, Wanderlei Silva, J?r?me Le Banner, Kazushi Sakuraba, Mark Coleman, and beat the freaks of nature in 10 foot Choi Hong-man and roided up Bob Sapp - but couldn't cut it with the likes of Fedor, Hoost and A R Nog. If anything, without being bias, he's in the top 3 of all time IMO.

Was Crocop ever that good?

Yes !

Better yet did you see Fedor fight Mirko and beat him at his own game with a broken hand? Mirko was an awesome striker but with age he seems to have slowed. I hate to say it but he looked pathetic against Dos Santos. Someone said he's going to kick Pat Barrys head off... well if thats the case he better come prepared because Pat is a good striker as well with brutal leg kicks. I'd like to see it though. If Mirko can't get that leg up on a 5'11" guy when he's landed it on Aleks who is 6'6" then it's probably time to retire if he loses to Pat. I loved watching him in pride but I don't want to see him fight poorly anymore because I'm sick of threads like this questioning his abilities from the past. Fact is the man is 35 or 36 and had a lot more fights then just MMA bouts. Either beat Pat by stoppage or retire.

Your way off base with this post, espeically the highlighted. I see your banned so can't respond, but I dont want this post to shape peoples assumptions on Cro Cop. In his prime he was the most prolific strikers in MMA, let alone the HW division. Carwin and JDS are barely scratching the surface when you look at Cro Cops highlight reel. Other then the rough patch he had with the UFC his first time around (1-2) he has looked much better. People say he looked awful against JDS, and granted he did look very timid (understandable, JDS has dyno-mite hands) but he not only lasted longer then any of JDS's UFC opponents, but he also did the most damage to JDS hands down. I'm not going to say that Cro Cop is going to get up into the higher echelon of HWs in the UFC, but he was, is, and never will be a chump. There isnt a man alive who doesnt respect what this guy could do to anyone he faces.

"Right leg hospital, Left leg cemetary"

Haha' date=' did I hurt your feelings that much yesterday SCO?

Cro Cop is a legend and one of the GOAT, your boy Brock isn't. Deal with it.[/quote']No denying that Crocop was a great for his time, but then again so was Royce Gracie, both would get destroyed in this evolved version of the sport in their primes or not.

No denying that Crocop was a great for his time' date=' but then again so was Royce Gracie, both would get destroyed in this evolved version of the sport in their primes or not.[/quote']

Mirko and Royce are Two totally different animals - even though they are Two of the best that has been seen!

However CroCop in his prime today - he WOULD be UFC HW Champion of today.

JDS was a tough opponent. Cro Cop was on the defensive most of the fight, but it's too bad he got cut when he did because he was becoming more aggressive as the fight went on. Perosh wasn't a tough opponent for Cro Cop, but Mirko looked much better in that fight. It's nice to see him coming off a win into his next fight. He sounded down and out after his loss to JDS.

Mirko was not over rated. Thats just stupid to think so. The guy IS a legend. Ring fight is WAY different that cage fighting. Being comfortable with training to the point of being relaxed while training is not a good thing. UFC fighters are not better than PRIDE fighters btw. Turn the tables and see how well the UFC guys would do in Pride. They would ALL get handled. Why do you think Anderson left Pride?? Just sayin. The rules are so much different in Pride than the UFC. Its like a complete different sport transitioning from Pride to the UFC.

well said mate half these people only became mma fans when ufc got big theve neve even seen the pride days which was way bigger than ufc

Pride just put on a bigger looking show. Pride was never nearly as big as the UFC is now. Either way I sure miss 10 minute first rounds. That always weeded out the weak.

Back on topic though.

Cro Cop was always real good. Still is. Difference is that pride generally had two levels of fighers. A few really high level ones then a bunch of freaks with little to no MMA skill. This made the stars of pride stand out even more as they toppled everyone on the roster over.

He probably had the best combination of power and speed in his kicks than any fighter in history. Unfortunately, speed is the first thing to diminish with age, and power doesn't matter if you don't have the speed to connect anymore.

Today he moves so much slower than he did in his Pride Days, that he is becoming painful to watch.

Mirko had the hardest time transitioning from the ring to the cage, especially with his kickboxing based style and I have to say most of that can be attributed to his own stubbornness and refusal to train in a cage. If you have been watching Mirko fight for a while and saw his Gonzaga and Dos Santos fights it was pretty plain that he never could really get his footing and base right. He even slipped a few times and you never saw that in PRIDE.

He has altered his training and included a cage and better conditioning since the JDS beating so this next fight we will see if it has paid off for him.

And for the record, Mirko Cro-Cop Filipovic is one of the baddest dudes to ever step into a K-1 or MMA fight.

Mirko had the hardest time transitioning from the ring to the cage' date=' especially with his kickboxing based style and I have to say most of that can be attributed to his own stubbornness and refusal to train in a cage. If you have been watching Mirko fight for a while and saw his Gonzaga and Dos Santos fights it was pretty plain that he never could really get his footing and base right. He even slipped a few times and you never saw that in PRIDE.

He has altered his training and included a cage and better conditioning since the JDS beating so this next fight we will see if it has paid off for him.

[b']And for the record, Mirko Cro-Cop Filipovic is one of the baddest dudes to ever step into a K-1 or MMA fight[/b].

word

Archived