thoughts on old stars from pride & ufc

d2007k

so we all know allot of guys are just falling off the old radar .. but allot of them are legends of the game .. after they lose so many times we all kinda start thinking the same thing ..time to hang them up

do you think these guys should just be fed cans to keep them around as long as possible ? we know they wont win against top level but what about just to see them in the octagon again ?? should legends be allowed to continue to collect pay checks ? they are huge ppv draws just by their name .. rather then keep trying to put them against top guys that we all know will win just feed them up coming guys that arent so great

A. let them fight nobody's just to keep the legends around

B. Dont give them anymore fights so we can remember them for who they were

Look at boxing.....

Evander, Roy Jones, BHop, Hatton, Oscar Del.....

The old fighters have the name...if they still have the will to train and fight then it should be upto them-even if they are never going to be anything like the fighter they were....

Should Jardine, Thiago Silva, Kos, Guida etc retire because they are never going to compete at the elite level?????

Should Jardine' date=' Thiago Silva, Kos, Guida etc retire because they are never going to compete at the elite level?????[/quote']

did you just answer the question with a question ??

i guess age should be considered in this all too .. if a guy has a good amount of time ahead of him and can still pick up a W here and there .. but these older guys that keep racking up L's are just hurting themselves along with their legacy

Use the same rules PRIDE had and I bet they'd be a lot better.Guys like Mirko and Wandy can't kick or knee a downed opponent anymore' date=' and it was a big part of their game, especially against wrestlers.[/quote']

sounds like a bitcch move to me ... kick and stomp a downed opponent ..lol ..but yet these other guys can not do that and own them

sounds like a bitcch move to me ... kick and stomp a downed opponent ..lol ..but yet these other guys can not do that and own them

I think the knees to a downed opponent are more important. If you train to fight a certain way and then the environment and rules change, it shouldn't be a surprise that they're not as good. I don't think it's that UFC fighters are better. Look at what happened when Chuck went to Pride.

I think the knees to a downed opponent are more important. If you train to fight a certain way and then the environment and rules change' date=' it shouldn't be a surprise that they're not as good. I don't think it's that UFC fighters are better. Look at what happened when Chuck went to Pride.[/quote']

nah they just used cheap shots to hurt their opponent more to give them even more of a chance of wining

and look what happened to chuck when rampage came to UFC

nah they just used cheap shots to hurt their opponent more to give them even more of a chance of wining

and look what happened to chuck when rampage came to UFC

Cheap shots? It's fighting' date=' you do whatever is allowed. Besides, isn't the point of fighting to "hurt [your'] opponent more to give [yourself] more of a chance of winning?"

Look at boxing.....

Evander' date=' Roy Jones, BHop, Hatton, Oscar Del.....

The old fighters have the name...if they still have the will to train and fight then it should be upto them-even if they are never going to be anything like the fighter they were....

[b']Should Jardine, Thiago Silva, Kos, Guida etc retire because they are never going to compete at the elite level?????[/b]

Last time I checked these guys are fighting at the elite level.

People seem to overlook the main reason for the pride stars not appearing to be the same dominant fighters they once were. Basically the UFC brought most of Prides top talent over. This makes the level of talent by itself at par with what the Pride organization was at. Then you mix that top talent with the top talent already in the UFC and you have way more competition than you ever had before. I don't think Wandy crossed the Ocean and suddenly became less of a fighter. Or Mirko no longer had the ropes and was completely changed by the cage. I think the biggest thing is the level of competition is so much deeper. On top of it these guys came to the UFC with a lot of pressure to perform like they did at Pride which I think probably didn't help.

Also weight classes I think are a huge factor. Cro Cop for instance was a reasonable sized HW in pride. In the UFC he's more the size of most LHW. Wandy has seen this finally and has gone down to middleweight.

Most of the pride guys are still young enough (Not that old yet) to be top contenders it's just there are so many top contenders that it's a tough to get a lot of wins in a row.

Pride's level of competition was an illusion. I read a post on another thread that made alot of sense. It basically said that in Pride there were 2 levels of competition. A few elite and skilled fighters (Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Wandy..etc) and then a whole crapload of cans and sideshow fighters. The big names in Pride feasted on subpar competition and thus looked dominant. Fast forward to when they come to the UFC and here there was much more parity in the competition. So while the stars of Pride had nice records and highlite reels, they compiled said records and reels against muppets.

good point ^

pride wasnt really going to match ups sometimes.. ufc is MAJORITY top knotch fighters, i believe we'll see wandy looking alot better now, and alot of pride fighters gotta learn to use the cage to their advantage also.. in the ring you cant use the ropes to smush your opponet.. you cant use the ropes to lift urself up.. the octagon is a tool for most fighters who know how to use it..

Archived