Respect in KO or Decision

drummerman2007

I have been watching MMA for a few years and have always wondered something and would like an opinion from others to help my thinking. I just finished watching the Faber and Aldo fight this isnt the only fight that this works for but the most recent example. When a fighter is clearly losing either 2 rounds of the 3 or 3 of the 5 why do they just not go for broke and give yourself a shot at catching the other fighter. So what if you get knocked out or caught in a submission you were going to lose anyway you have a better shot goin for broke. Is there more respect by going the distance as opposed to getting knocked out or submitted. Maybe its just me but IF I was gettin my @$$ kicked id just go in there swingin now I understand you dont want to look dumb but come on go after and try and get the win. Any opinions are welcome love to hear from those who have been watching for a long time but anybody can offer help.

I agree with trying to find holes but Faber was goin to do nothing he didnt have a leg he needed to just go. Another recent fight is Maia and Silva yeah Maia eventually went at him n got a few shots in but didnt keep it up so what if AS would of knocked him out charge n go there was no hole that they were goin to find after such dominations

some of it may have to do with future fights down the road too .. most people dont go back and watch fights ..they check out peoples records and try and base any sort of conclusion off that .. makes the guy look allot better if he went 5 rounds and lost a decision than getting ktfo in round 3 or 4 .. makes more room for excuses too .. easier to excuse a decision than a ko too .. all these guys are business men too .. they are not just fighters whole lot more goes into it than going buck wild looking for a desperate win

some of it may have to do with future fights down the road too .. most people dont go back and watch fights ..they check out peoples records and try and base any sort of conclusion off that .. makes the guy look allot better if he went 5 rounds and lost a decision than getting ktfo in round 3 or 4 .. makes more room for excuses too .. easier to excuse a decision than a ko too .. all these guys are business men too .. they are not just fighters whole lot more goes into it than going buck wild looking for a desperate win

This does make sense especially the business part with a decision fight as opposed to a finish thanks and i dont mind when fights go to decision but mostly for titles that may be your only chance for some fighters so why not just go out and try n get it

yeah the old days are pretty much over with go for broke attitude .. i forgot to mention that it helps save their contract too .. less likely to get cut if you drag out the fight than going for broke and coming up short .. chances of you getting the ko over the guy who is dominating you is very slim ..

at the end of the day how do you protect your pocket book the most

In all honesty, it may have been a better career choice for Faber to get KOed instead of taking any more damage to his legs...honestly those kicks were brutal and if they hit correctly on his already weakened knee in the 4th or 5th rounds who is to say it wouldn't do permanent damage?

In all honesty' date=' it may have been a better career choice for Faber to get KOed instead of taking any more damage to his legs...honestly those kicks were brutal and if they hit correctly on his already weakened knee in the 4th or 5th rounds who is to say it wouldn't do permanent damage?[/quote']

no it wouldnt .. that dude is tough and will heal just fine .. he has gyms and other buisness agendas around sacramento .. def wouldnt of been good to get KTFO

Seriously, though, think about this for a second..

Nobody WANTS to get knocked out!!

It's been proven that repeated knockouts will weaken your chin. There's no point in damaging yourself for future fights.

Also to consider.. the fact that you may not physically be able to 'go for broke'. In this case, Urijah was completely beaten down. His entire body was weak, and all the strength had been sapped from him. The fact that he was still standing/getting up is a testament to the amount of heart this guy has.

Seriously' date=' though, think about this for a second..

Nobody WANTS to get knocked out!!

It's been proven that repeated knockouts will weaken your chin. There's no point in damaging yourself for future fights.

Also to consider.. the fact that you may not physically be able to 'go for broke'. In this case, Urijah was completely beaten down. His entire body was weak, and all the strength had been sapped from him. The fact that he was still standing/getting up is a testament to the amount of heart this guy has.[/quote']

could be why gsp is all lay and pray he always talks about his legacy

to answer your question on why Faber didnt go for broke......its because Machida beat Shogun which proves anything can happen in a decision. but foreal props to Aldo he is a bad man i knew it would go to decision like most championship fights, i personally have more respect for a fighter that grinds out a decision or loses to a decision, no one really lost they both just ran out of time. .

to answer your question on why Faber didnt go for broke......its because Machida beat Shogun which proves anything can happen in a decision. but foreal props to Aldo he is a bad man i knew it would go to decision like most championship fights' date='[b'] i personally have more respect for a fighter that grinds out a decision or loses to a decision, no one really lost they both just ran out of time[/b]. .

interesting perspective

I get the whole "go for broke" thing but these guys are professional fighters why no try to counter or hope the guy beating you makes a mistake and you can capitalize on that. I guess in the last minutes of the 5th round you should but in the fight Faber had nothing left in his legs by then. If he went all out and got caught in the 4th it wouldnt have made this fight any better for him.

i'd rather watch Oprah than a Kimbo fight but i wont hate ANY fighter for going to a decision atleast he is in the ring not on the key board like us

or octagon ... but i dont even need to train .. i was born pretty bad **** i may not be champion of the streets in my hood .. but im def a gatekeeper ..lol

I agree with trying to find holes but Faber was goin to do nothing he didnt have a leg he needed to just go. Another recent fight is Maia and Silva yeah Maia eventually went at him n got a few shots in but didnt keep it up so what if AS would of knocked him out charge n go there was no hole that they were goin to find after such dominations

its quite funny half way through the Maia Silva disaster Maia was practically asking Silva to ko him haha

but in your origonal statement yeah i think alot more people should just go for broke Sorta like the Cant remember the fight

Leben vs ??????

Leben outrageously rocked then just swings for the fences and destroys the guy with a single punch that was excellent

Thanks Cayne I understand I brought up the Aldo Faber fight but thats just becuase it was the most recent and maybe in respect for Faber his decision might of been a better option. And the person who mentioned getting KOd weakens your chin if it happens a lot thats a great point i didnt think of. But for some of these guys just why not? Garcia and Korean Zombie were goin toe to toe and they didnt have anything left and were still exchanging some serious punches so i dont like the there tired they dont hit as hard these guys are athletes they should be able to KO someone in the 5th just as much in the 1st. Im not asking for a quick finish seeing as im sayin in the 3rd 4th or 5th round they go for the KO

Archived