Anyone surprised by Dana's enthusiasm for Shields?

Leiting

I think Shields is a great fighter, and frankly his win over Henderson went a LONG way to solidify him in my mind as a top tier fighter (him and his buddies brawl afterwards, not so much)...but I have to admit I'm fairly shocked to see Dana White seemingly chomping at the bits to take Shields into the fold. Shields style of fighting isn't the kind that UFC typically likes to highlight. So why is Dana so gung ** for him? Is it that he wants to take one of SF's only name guys away or at the least make them pay through their eyes to keep him, or do you think Dana is really that excited to see Shields take on GSP, Fitch & Kos?

well im sure dana would want to get anyone that can be a player in the game .. sheilds contract is over with strikeforce so why not try to get him in ?? its ultimately up to shields isnt it ? so you blame dana for showing interest .. cant tell me coker wouldnt do the same ... the divisions have been up and down and nothing wrong with it .. hey look at it this way ..hendo can become strikeforce champ now .. till they crumble Muahwahahahahah !!!

well im sure dana would want to get anyone that can be a player in the game .. sheilds contract is over with strikeforce so why not try to get him in ?? its ultimately up to shields isnt it ? so you blame dana for showing interest .. cant tell me coker wouldnt do the same ... the divisions have been up and down and nothing wrong with it .. hey look at it this way ..hendo can become strikeforce champ now .. till they crumble Muahwahahahahah !!!

By no means did I anywhere blame Dana for his interest. I said I think Shields is a great fighter, just that stylistically, he's not what UFC tends to promote to their fanbase - and it strikes me as odd that Dana, who tends to favor "flashy finish" fighters, would be so highly interested in a more "meat and potatoes" fighter who's perfectly content to win the decision. I don't "blame" Dana for it, if anything I'm pleasantly surprised with his enthusiasm for a fantastic ground fighter...but never the less, I am surprised by it.

By no means did I anywhere blame Dana for his interest. I said I think Shields is a great fighter' date=' just that stylistically, he's not what UFC tends to promote to their fanbase - and it strikes me as odd that Dana, who tends to favor "flashy finish" fighters, would be so highly interested in a more "meat and potatoes" fighter who's perfectly content to win the decision. I don't "blame" Dana for it, if anything I'm pleasantly surprised with his enthusiasm for a fantastic ground fighter...but never the less, I am surprised by it.[/quote']

And GSP is what? Dana probably just wants to see who is the Best p4p Molester.

I think Shields is a great fighter' date=' and frankly his win over Henderson went a LONG way to solidify him in my mind as a top tier fighter (him and his buddies brawl afterwards, not so much)...but I have to admit I'm fairly shocked to see Dana White seemingly chomping at the bits to take Shields into the fold. Shields style of fighting isn't the kind that UFC typically likes to highlight. So why is Dana so gung ** for him? Is it that he wants to take one of SF's only name guys away or at the least make them pay through their eyes to keep him, or do you think Dana is really that excited to see Shields take on GSP, Fitch & Kos?[/quote']

what makes me laugh is all the bad things dana had to say about what happened at the SF event...now he wants that bunch in the octagon lol. i guess money talks.

By no means did I anywhere blame Dana for his interest. I said I think Shields is a great fighter' date=' just that stylistically, he's not what UFC tends to promote to their fanbase - and it strikes me as odd that Dana, who tends to favor "flashy finish" fighters, would be so highly interested in a more "meat and potatoes" fighter who's perfectly content to win the decision. I don't "blame" Dana for it, if anything I'm pleasantly surprised with his enthusiasm for a fantastic ground fighter...but never the less, I am surprised by it.[/quote']

lol i know exactly what you mean

He's the champion of a rival organization, and he just knocked off the guy who made a total mess of the UFC's plans for it's middle weight division. Not only that, but he knocked him off in a fight he was supposed to get dominated in.

If you're sitting behind the UFC desk right now, it's hard to lose by offering Jake all the money in the world. If he comes in, and wins, you've got a new top guy for the fans to follow. If he comes in and loses, you promote your organization as dominant "look how badly the strikeforce champ got destroyed!", if he doesn't come in, you force a bidding war with the opposition and make them pay the guy more than they can afford.

Offering Jake ALOT of money is a really good idea for the UFC at this point in time.

what makes me laugh is all the bad things dana had to say about what happened at the SF event...now he wants that bunch in the octagon lol. i guess money talks.

He doesn't really care about Strikeforce itself or Scott Coker. His main beef is with Showtime and M-1 Global being complete ****-hats, or whatever other curse word is rolling off his tongue.

He's the champion of a rival organization' date=' and he just knocked off the guy who made a total mess of the UFC's plans for it's middle weight division. Not only that, but he knocked him off in a fight he was supposed to get dominated in.

If you're sitting behind the UFC desk right now, it's hard to lose by offering Jake all the money in the world. If he comes in, and wins, you've got a new top guy for the fans to follow. If he comes in and loses, you promote your organization as dominant "look how badly the strikeforce champ got destroyed!", if he doesn't come in, you force a bidding war with the opposition and make them pay the guy more than they can afford.

Offering Jake ALOT of money is a really good idea for the UFC at this point in time.[/quote']

This sums things up perfectly. Dana can throw the bank at Jake and know that it will pay off no matter what.

I think Shields is a great fighter' date=' and frankly his win over Henderson went a LONG way to solidify him in my mind as a top tier fighter (him and his buddies brawl afterwards, not so much)...but I have to admit I'm fairly shocked to see Dana White seemingly chomping at the bits to take Shields into the fold. Shields style of fighting isn't the kind that UFC typically likes to highlight. So why is Dana so gung ** for him? Is it that he wants to take one of SF's only name guys away or at the least make them pay through their eyes to keep him, or do you think Dana is really that excited to see Shields take on GSP, Fitch & Kos?[/quote']

Yes, he wants to take one of Strike Force fighter away and to also rub it in on Hendo for going there.

I think theres a few reasons hes chasing shields, firstly hes a strikeforce champ so it can only do ufc good and its competition bad, then theres the fact that shields is looking promising especially after his win over hendo if dana doesnt get him theres always gonna be the talk that he dominated ufc's number 2 and could maybe of dominated the ufc, and i dont think dana wants the possibility of strikeforce being able to say this (weve all seen how the fedor arguments go and we know dana hates that) and finally i think he sees it as a money move too as shields will be an easy sell to the american fan base, and with the likes of hendo, chuck, tito, franklin and randy etc all finished or on their decline the ufc needs a new face and shields at the moment is americas best chance of a popular champion

Its a win-win situation for him... as a business owner and as a fan.

He brings in the MW champ (actually a WW) from another promotion. If shields decides to fight at WW there are a couple scenarios -

1. He loses his first fight, in which case Dana could say that the Strikeforce MW champ couldn't hand with the UFC WW.

2. He wins a couple fights and is given a shot at GSP. WHich would be a big money fight... two champs fighting ....

yeah I'd say Dana's enthusiasm is justified.

are you kidding me! shields nearly got KTFO in the 1st minute. there are big holes in his stand up game and he'll get eaten alive in the ufc! his first opponent will probably be nate the great and he'll get chewed up and spat out!

1. Nearly getting KTFO doesn't mean anything. Shields lost the first round and won the fight. Another reminder that closeness only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

2. He's a dominant wrestler and we've seen a lot of them succeed in the UFC lately. At 170 there's Fitch and 185 Sonnen.

3. Nate's already booked up and I'd be very, very surprised if Shields' first fight in the UFC was not against GSP at 170.

4. Even if Shields did go against Nate I could see him pulling it off. It would basically be a repeat of the Sonnen fight.

Archived