MMA looking bad in the public eye

Atticus77

With the Strikeforce brawl a few Saturdays ago and now Tito going to jail for a felony domestic violence charge' date=' things could be looking rough for MMA in the public sphere.

Do you think these events will have any effect on the growth of MMA as a sport?[/quote']

Everyone already knew Tito Ortiz is a giant gorilla ****** ****tard. His domestic violence arrest is good for the sport. That's one out of the two excuse filled fighters gone! (Mir is the second).

Tito Ortiz isn't going to be anywhere near Jesse James or Tiger Woods stature though. And the SF brawl was seen by such a minimal audience that it doesn't even matter. these are all negative things surrounding MMA, but I don't think they will have any influence on the publics' eye. The people who already think MMA is immoral are going to stay that way regardless.

I agree, there are lowlifes in every sport who cause scandal and there have been brawls of various sorts at most major sporting events. However, mma has never had a good reputation due to the early days and it seems to be judged differently on these things by the mainstream. Those that actually care enough to judge. It looks bad for mma and these incidents just give haters more ammo, but I don't think it will effect the sport. In a way I think it helps the sport because it gains some attention. For the most part I dont think people really care about dumb crap as much like they used to. It isnt the 50's. Society doesnt have a conscience anymore.

I think this will affect the sport. This isnt football or "soccer" alot of people still think MMA is human dogfighting this just adds fuel to the fire. this gives off the image that all fighters are mindless brutes

Nah.. Thats retarded if people let that defame the mma game.. Prfessional athletes all over tha world do wasy worse s**t than that.. I know only a punk a$$ b***h hits a girl, but there was fotball player who was driving drunk and killed someone.. he got 30 days in prison and suspended 6 gams.. Now thats some bullS**t..

With the Strikeforce brawl a few Saturdays ago and now Tito going to jail for a felony domestic violence charge' date=' things could be looking rough for MMA in the public sphere.

Do you think these events will have any effect on the growth of MMA as a sport?[/quote']

I think that eventually it will get past this , I mean, Ray Lewis stabbed somebody in the chest and killed them, Roesthlisberger raped two different 20 year olds, Vick tortured hundreds of dogs, Donte Stallworth was driving drunk and killed somebody, Michael Irvin stabbed somebody in the neck, Pacman Jones has beaten strippers more often than he intercepts the ball....yet the NFL is okay,

I think MMA will be alright

If you want growth' date=' get extenze. If you want stone-cold killers that beat up their ex-****star wives, watch UFC. Dana white is doing god's work.[/quote']

This man speaks the TRUTH. Why do MMA fans like us even give a **** if the sport grows any bigger? If the public at large doesn't like it, I say f-them. No matter how much they get their panties in a twist about the latest "MMA controversy" they'll never be able to ban it where it's already legal. So maybe we should just sit back and laugh at the cry-babies who are powerless to do anything to this great sport.

LOL people still watch every other sport and there is worse d*cks in those sports.

Maybe not in the sence that people will stop watching, but there are still markets that have no been opened to MMA due to its violence. With these shenanigans it can't help the sport any.

I agree with u , there fighter like Couture who do there best to improve the sport and get it to a other level .

On the other hand u have stupid fighter who start gang 1 guys on national TV + Tito beating is girl friend .

They just back stab all fighter who work to bring MMA to everyone in the world .

This man speaks the TRUTH. Why do MMA fans like us even give a **** if the sport grows any bigger? If the public at large doesn't like it' date=' I say f-them. No matter how much they get their panties in a twist about the latest "MMA controversy" they'll never be able to ban it where it's already legal. So maybe we should just sit back and laugh at the cry-babies who are powerless to do anything to this great sport.[/quote']

The reason I want it grown is cause I live by Toronto, and there is no way i'd pass up on the tickets there, But Dalton is a poop tard. And Did these set UFC back there, more then likely, but I'm voting for the other guy come election time. And the more people who like it will give them more money and in the end, more fights. I'm sure the larger it grows the better the sport will be.

not really....things like this http://mmafrenzy.com/11853/former-high-school-wrestler-sues-school-district-for-damages-from-mma-fight-at-school/ do more damage to the sport than people like tito.

well i dont think many ppl cared about the brawl to begin, let alone SAW IT!.. the rating for that time were terrible.. and tito being arrested.. i say no biggie.. how many other fighters have been in trouble with the law?.. its just going to be a hot topic for a few weeks and then whos gives a shisht.. if anything it just plays into his badboy parady.. but hey atleast we know who his next opponet was now..lol

well i dont think many ppl cared about the brawl to begin' date=' let alone SAW IT!.. the rating for that time were terrible.. and tito being arrested.. i say no biggie.. how many other fighters have been in trouble with the law?.. its just going to be a hot topic for a few weeks and then whos gives a shisht.. if anything it just plays into his badboy parady.. but hey atleast we know who his next opponet was now..lol[/quote']

lol..woohoo i knew he could win again. i wonder if she got 'the belt'. i bet when it all comes to light that all he did was push her and she fell over...which would be wrong but far from being a 'woman beater'

well i dont think many ppl cared about the brawl to begin' date=' let alone SAW IT!.. the rating for that time were terrible.. and tito being arrested.. i say no biggie.. how many other fighters have been in trouble with the law?.. its just going to be a hot topic for a few weeks and then whos gives a shisht.. if anything it just plays into his badboy parady.. but hey atleast we know who his next opponet was now..lol[/quote']

i saw the brawl and to be honest it was the most entertaining part of the show lol..i quite enjoyed it and thats the truth. It was all handbags at dawn bull which meant nothing. I dont see how people (not saying you) can have a problem with that and then go and watch ice hockey and cheer when there's a fight there lol

i saw the brawl and to be honest it was the most entertaining part of the show lol..i quite enjoyed it and thats the truth. It was all handbags at dawn bull which meant nothing. I dont see how people (not saying you) can have a problem with that and then go and watch ice hockey and cheer when there's a fight there lol

Egggggzactly.. there was a fight in a show thats about fighting.. -_-.. no sir i dont want no ice cream in my ice cream cone..lol all in all what was so bad about the brawl? i saw it also.. (i cheered for mayhem actually!..) ..you couldnt even see the brawl it was masked by the whole damn security staff trying to break it up.. all u see is the diaz clowns with mad faces lookin down.. >:o:mad::mad:

Egggggzactly.. there was a fight in a show thats about fighting.. -_-.. no sir i dont want no ice cream in my ice cream cone..lol all in all what was so bad about the brawl? i saw it also.. (i cheered for mayhem actually!..) ..you couldnt even see the brawl it was masked by the whole damn security staff trying to break it up.. all u see is the diaz clowns with mad faces lookin down.. >:o:mad::mad:

Just to inform urself about reality ufc try to make it legal to do MMA in every USA State and CaNaDa . In new york they already use the strike force **** to bash mma in news paper , the same things happen in Ontario . Now is a step back in the way to make it legal in this place .

Maybe u think that braw was not that bad but for a casual fan who see 7 guys from a camp jump on 1 guys and start to gang him is realy sad for the sport. Dont get me wrong i like fight in sport like hockey and full hockey team fight is cool.

lol i wanted mayhems friends to come in and have a big ol brawl. i was so dissapointed when it got broke up before it really started. It would've been good if hendo would've come and joined in lol. I think people need to stop taking things so serious.

Just to inform urself about reality ufc try to make it legal to do MMA in every USA State and CaNaDa . In new york they already use the strike force **** to bash mma in news paper ' date=' the same things happen in Ontario . Now is a step back in the way to make it legal in this place .

Maybe u think that braw was not that bad but for a casual fan who see 7 guys from a camp jump on 1 guys and start to gang him is realy sad for the sport. Dont get me wrong i like fight in sport like hockey and full hockey team fight is cool.[/quote']

but the thing is except for the people that live in or near new york what does it matter that its not allowed there. They can put an octagon anywhere on the globe and aslong as its on my tv it makes no difference. Its not like if new york allows it then suddenly they'll be allowed to knee to the head or loads of new talent will come in. To say a fight at a fight event is bad for the sport..then say a fight at a hockey match is cool is quite strange tho...isnt a fight at a hockey game worse? considering they are infront of kida too and getting paid to hit a little puck about?

but the thing is except for the people that live in or near new york what does it matter that its not allowed there. They can put an octagon anywhere on the globe and aslong as its on my tv it makes no difference. Its not like if new york allows it then suddenly they'll be allowed to knee to the head or loads of new talent will come in. To say a fight at a fight event is bad for the sport..then say a fight at a hockey match is cool is quite strange tho...isnt a fight at a hockey game worse? considering they are infront of kida too and getting paid to hit a little puck about?

There guys in Hockey who are only pay for fight , they not good player they just decent skater with good athlete power yes they are fighter . Look at Laraque or Brashear .

Look at this Laraque highlights is cool

There guys in Hockey who are only pay for fight ' date=' they not good player they just decent skater with good athlete power yes they are fighter . Look at Laraque or Brashear .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KikbBGl1BM[/quote']

but the SF fighters are paid to fight. It was only a matter of time before it happened. If people accept fights in hockey they have to accept the sf brawl too. Anyway i think we'll just have to agree to disagree cos this'll go on forever otherwise lol. I'm off to watch that link...cos just like the brawl i think its always funny. We had a football player called eric cantona over here once..he heard something from the crowd and jumped the advertising board and did a flying kick at some bloke who was a fan in the stands...he nearly got his 10yr old son who was stood next to him instead...i found that well out of order but aslong as it doesnt involve the fans it always a good laugh lol. everyone loves controversy, it's good entertainment lol

There guys in Hockey who are only pay for fight ' date=' they not good player they just decent skater with good athlete power yes they are fighter . Look at Laraque or Brashear .

[/quote']

awww man you let me down with that clip lol this one is funny...on the stage of the biggest sporting event in the world lol

shame he didnt try and submit him after he got it to the ground lol

MMA wont grow as big as Boxing has in its hey-day. MMA has peaked, with declining PPV sales and customers asking for the money back after bad performances from the fighters....ala Anderson Silva.

Lets look at it, since UFC 100 all PPV sales have dwindled, in fact UFC 104 was their last PPV to actually do good, UFC 105 was for free cos no one would buy it really, UFC 106 sucked(Tito & Jenna joke), UFC 107 was terrible, as well as UFC 108. UFC 109 surprising to say the least, 110 & 111 were alright, 112 was a shocker but it didnt do as well as UFC thought it would.

Then you have FRee Television's Strikeforce(cbs only) show with a battle royal ensuing..........Yeah MMA has peaked and its sinking. There is no more room for growth cos in reality UFC killed it. Its time for other promo's to rise in order to save MMA.

Bellator is doing good with its concept of Tournament based MMA winner gets a Title shot hook. Strikeforce needs better annoucers(bas, quadros). Hopefully Shine Fights can grow, along with Maximum Fighting Championship, and Adrenaline MMA

I know no one likes comparing the 2 but c'mon......

Back before UFC/MMA in general was as big as it is WWF/WCW was the biggest sport on television. The Monday Night Wars were the highest rated shows on Cable TV, after the buyout of WCW Pro Wrestling's hold on the masses started to fade in exactly 3 years after the buyout. Coincidently this is also the time where MMA started to grow more, within those 3 years.

By 2005 WWE was losing the PPV rates to UFC, by 2006 UFC dominated the PPV. Now the UFC is declining in sales thanks to Watered down cards, and Live Streaming Piracy.

Who's with me on this one.........UFC on Versus was better than the last 7 PPV's?

I kind of agree with you, but the actual gate stas are almost impossible to get, especially the PPV gate.

MMA seems to draw about 400,000 paying customers giove or take.

Fedor and LEsnar seem to pull in about an additional 400K pays.

On the free side they just found out that Fedor is a must for the SF shows. His numbers were massive, compared tpo the last show without him. Even during the show he was in the numbers when he wasn;t on air were about half what they were when he was on air.

But the growth in MMA viewership is not increasing that I can see.

Nah. A while back Valero beat the **** out of his wife then committed suicide in jail. Well, Nobody will be watching his ppv lol. Pacquiao had been linked a lot to different women, even had a son aside from his wife, but people still went to see him fight.

No publicity is bad publicity

Why do MMA fans like us even give a **** if the sport grows any bigger? If the public at large doesn't like it' date=' I say f-them.[/quote']

I agree! Who wants to love something just cuz society does? The best things in the world are often things that have nothing to do with being trendy so I like mma's popularity exactly where it is

Dana might not like it, but I really don't care. mainstream or not, it's fun to follow

It goes with the territory!! The sport is just growing! And for it to continue to grow, it will have its share of stumbling blocks! But I'm not gonna be alarmed about it. It happens all the time but MMA will thrive and continue to flourish!

Nah. A while back Valero beat the **** out of his wife then committed suicide in jail. Well' date=' Nobody will be watching his ppv lol. Pacquiao had been linked a lot to different women, even had a son aside from his wife, but people still went to see him fight.

[b']No publicity is bad publicity[/b]

True2x

Archived