Which Jiu-Jitsu do you prefer? (Poll coming soon)

ForrestGriffinFan101

I am a little biased as I train Gracie JiuJitsu

both have there technical differences.

Training with a Gi re-creates certain aspects of a street fight when wearing clothing where as No Gi training re-creates aspects of MMA competition.

Gracie JiuJitsu focuses on both Gi and No Gi training

I am a little biased as I train Gracie JiuJitsu

both have there technical differences.

Training with a Gi re-creates certain aspects of a street fight when wearing clothing where as No Gi training re-creates aspects of MMA competition.

Gracie JiuJitsu focuses on both Gi and No Gi training

This is a point I've tried to make before. 10th Planet is the trendy pick, but if your someone starting from scratch, you can't beat the structure and education the Gracie Academy provides.

by training with the gi you can get put in any basic submission much easier than you can in eddie bravo's no gi. when you get sweaty, many submissions become much easier to muscle out of. experts actually suggest using a gi for a mma background because if you can escape a submission with a gi, you sure as hell can when theres no gi. therefore gracie jiujitsu's more technical and better.

Eddie has his own approach. 10th planet is the evoulution of Eddies no gi game he developed from what he learned from the Machado's and he's evolved and continues to evolve and he's systematically broken his game down and continued to expand upon it.

Every school has different approaches. For instance Carlson's side of the the Gracie family is different than Helio's side. Alot of Carlson's side liked an aggressive top game and more cross training. Helio believed in the principle of Zero Point e.g. pure defensive Jiu-Jitsu leave no openings then capitilize on your opponents mistakes.

Each school has it's own approach as does each fighter but when you get down to it's still Jiu-Jitsu.

Different branches have different leaves but there still all a part of the Jiu-Jitsu family tree.

All the big schools have great Jiu-Jitsu players and teachers. No leaf is better than another imo.

It's best to practice both with and without the Gi. I think it's a little more fun to roll without the Gi because you can move around and transition more quickly. Eddie Bravo has some really cool submission setups, but it's good to know how to grapple with a gi on as well (which Bravo has done quite a bit of in his life too, I'm sure). I don't know which to vote for because both are good to know.

WTF!! are you serious?!?!? so in real life you are walking around in a Gi all day? lol sorry man dont meen to be rude but for MMA and real life Bravos jujitsu is the most up to date and dominating type to learn

Many of the BJJ moves that require a gi can also be used on someone in street clothes. If you're fighting someone who is wearing a jacket, button-up shirt, or even a t-shirt, you can choke them out with it. If you only studied 10th planet JJ then you might miss out on a quick and easy way to finish a fight.

WTF!! are you serious?!?!? so in real life you are walking around in a Gi all day? lol sorry man dont meen to be rude but for MMA and real life Bravos jujitsu is the most up to date and dominating type to learn

If it's winter and everyone's wearing heavy coats some Gi specific techniques would be useful no? As would No-gi but if you know both your better off.

Whoever did the poll needs to add an option for both.

You only say this because you don't study Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

I do. And I can tell you, when I walk in with normal clothes, I get choked out with my own clothes the same as someone wearing a Gi.

MMA jiu jitsi, you cannot grab clothing. This is huge. In Gracie Jiu Jitsu, you actually use clothing to your advantage. You don't have to walk around in a Gi. I can choke you out with your own shirt. I can use your pants to throw your legs where I want or to gain leverage.

In MMA, I can't.

Therefor, Gracie Jiu Jitsu is better for the streets. Bravo is better for MMA. It's simple.

i like the jiu jitsu that sakuraba uses. whatever you want to call that stuff' date=' it's effective.[/quote']

+1 Sakuraba is awesome, definitely one of my favorite fighters of all time. He won a lot of his fights with armbars and kimuras, which he may have learned from Judoka, though I'm not sure if he ever trained in Judo or not. Judo is a huge sport in Japan, and that's where many of the BJJ submissions come from...arm bar, kimura, rear naked choke, triangle choke, various gi chokes. Either way, Sakuraba rocks.

you are right in real life ,everyone walks around in shorts or undewear , shirtless too right??? ... People dont use clothes when they walk out in the streets right??

some people ....

Sakuraba was a catch wrestler

Thanks for that info. I went and read up on catch wrestling real quick on Wikipedia...interesting read. Makes me want to stop labeling different grappling styles and just say "submission fighting." In the end, it seems to me that any good grappler will want to be familiar with as much grappling technique as possible, no matter the source.

Thanks for that info. I went and read up on catch wrestling real quick on Wikipedia...interesting read. Makes me want to stop labeling different grappling styles and just say "submission fighting." In the end' date=' it seems to me that any good grappler will want to be familiar with as much grappling technique as possible, no matter the source.[/quote']

Agreed 100%

Eddie Bravo.

If you're going into mma or no-gi grappling, then 10th Planet is what you want to learn. Don't learn a bunch of set ups that require you to grab onto collars and sleeves when you're not going to use them in an mma match or no-gi match. And if you end up in a street fight. You already lost. Even if you choked a man unconscious with his own shirt.

I'm biased because I go to 10th Planet JJ in San Francisco' date=' but I've never been all that interested in Gi Jiu Jitsu, so I like that Bravo focuses on No-Gi.[/quote']

i have to disagree with you here man.. i started off only doing no gi and never was interested in Gi Jui jitsu.. my coaches would always tell me that it would make me better but i never listened.. untill i thought ied give it a shot.. tried a couple weeks straight gi and when i took it off my no gi was wayyyyyyyyy better.. i still to this day only compete no gi competition.. but if i could train with a gi every day ied do it.. the submissions that you can slip out with sweat involved and all that are impossible to slip out of when someone is holding your gi.. that sharpens your game and makes you rely on pure technique vs using strength / sweat to help your escape.. it also slows your game down alot because of all the grabing of the gi.. so when theres nothing to hold on to you feel like you lost 20 lbs and gained a **** ton of speed on the mat.. TRUST me im not saying GI is better.. but if you trully love No Gi then you should train atleast once a week with the Gi.. your game will be WAYY smoother.. WAYY faster.. and youll find yourself with alot more gas cause you wont need any strength for any of your sweeps or subs.. like i said before im not biased at all cause in the end if i was competing ied do No Gi cause No Gi is what i love.. but theres no doubt the Gi training has made my game wayy better

lmao.. are you serious?? alot of places year round guys got a sweater and pants on.. and if not they atleast got a shirt or long sleeve most of the time, which is the same exact thing as wearing a Gi.. i mean seriously does every1 run around shirtless with mma shorts now a days??

i have to disagree with you here man.. i started off only doing no gi and never was interested in Gi Jui jitsu.. my coaches would always tell me that it would make me better but i never listened.. untill i thought ied give it a shot.. tried a couple weeks straight gi and when i took it off my no gi was wayyyyyyyyy better.. i still to this day only compete no gi competition.. but if i could train with a gi every day ied do it.. the submissions that you can slip out with sweat involved and all that are impossible to slip out of when someone is holding your gi..

I'm open to the idea that some cross-training with a Gi would make me an all-around better no-Gi practitioner, but sweat is a two-way street. Sure, you can slip out of subs more easily, but so can your opponent. It forces you to pay a lot of attention to details when going for a sub, and it exposes sloppy points in your game.

Archived