Will Brazilians always have Dominant fighters?

Leal47

I'm just wondering if Brazil will always have great fighters popping up on the scene, on every division there is a Brazilian fighter ready to take the belt or already holding the belt. I know MMA kind of started in Brazil but why so many good fighters come from there what is their secret?

I'm just wondering if Brazil will always have great fighters popping up on the scene' date=' on every division there is a Brazilian fighter ready to take the belt or already holding the belt. I know MMA kind of started in Brazil but why so many good fighters come from there what is their secret?[/quote']

IMO its down to numbers, America and Brazil have a huge population and therefore it means more fighters coming through.

I'm just wondering if Brazil will always have great fighters popping up on the scene' date=' on [b']every division there is a Brazilian fighter ready to take the belt or already holding the belt[/b]. I know MMA kind of started in Brazil but why so many good fighters come from there what is their secret?

same is true for Americans...looking just at contenders/champs

HW: Brock, Carwin, Mir --- JDS, Nog

LHW: Griffin, Rashad, Rampage --- Machida, Shogun, T. Silva

MW: Nate, Chael --- A. Silva, Maia

WW: Fitch, Kos --- Alves, P. Thiago

LW: Penn, KenFlo, Edgar --- Dos Anjos, Tibau

Well im Brazilian came to Florida when i was 8 im 24 now been training BJJ since i was 10 i have visited Brazil over the years and im just wondering what makes Brazilians good at this sport i know the BJJ Help but there is more behind it i think its just the hunger to be the best. I train at Coconut Creek Florida if anyone trains there let me know

The answer to the OP's question is NO.

The reason why there are many good Brazillian fighters is because they are more dedicated to the sport than the rest of the world. We are beginning to see American fighters as well as other countries stepping up their training to compete in this competitive sport of MMA. Even Japanese fighters are stepping up their training nowadays. Akiyama and Okami have some of the best physiques of all the Japanese fighters.

Training in MMA has gotten to the extreme. Not only do you have to be well rounded, but you have to be physically in shape to compete in this magnitude of competition.

IMO its down to numbers' date=' America and Brazil have a huge population and therefore it means more fighters coming through.[/quote']

that is part of it. obviously a country like estonia or botswana is not gonna have the same quantity of fighters.

but if that was the only reason, India and China would have the most top mma fighters. but....yeah i can't even think of one mma contender in China.

a lot of it comes down to resources. places like the U.S. and the U.K. have the resources to put together the best training camps and the best jiu-jitsu, muay thai, and wrestling trainers in the world. countries with less resources can't put together training camps like this.

the other part is upbringing. when i went to high school, i did wrestling for 3 years. this is a big sport in the U.S. so millions of kids learn these techniques. let me tell you, wrestling changed my life because of the toughness it takes to be competitive. you would have to do 200 pushup, 30 minutes of drills, 30 minutes of running stairs, and that's just 1/3 of the practice. when you realize that millions of people do this, and you are taking the top .0001 percent, all that's left are some insanely skilled wrestlers (cain, matt hughes, etc.). same is true for Brazil (millions of kids compete in jiu-jitsu matches and the top .0001 percent are going to be insanely good)

Brazilian fighters concentrate more on technique, especially in the standup.

I don't know 1 technical American standup fighter that even comes close to Machida, Silva, Aldo etc... and please dont mention Chuck Liddel.

Americans concentrate too much on wrestling and overpowering their opponents. They can do it with Brock just because he's a freak, but in the lower weight classes where there's no huge advantage like that it does't work as well.

Americans even changed the rules of MMA to massively favor wrestlers, but it still doesn't really work out for them.

The Brits are already better technical standup fighters than the Americans, but they just don't have a ground game to match yet.

Hell, GSP is the best American style fighter and he's not even American HAHA. He's the new prototype American style fighter.

I also believe it also has to do with soccer/mma being almost the only outlets to fame and fortune in a country like brazil, not saying that's the entire reason just a part of it. Comparatively if you look at the states, you have a whole raft of sports/business/theatre options to be successful. Not always, but to generalize the harder the life you've led the more commitment you put into something as well.

I also believe it also has to do with soccer/mma being almost the only outlets to fame and fortune in a country like brazil' date=' not saying that's the entire reason just a part of it. Comparatively if you look at the states, you have a whole raft of sports/business/theatre options to be successful. Not always, but to generalize the harder the life you've led the more commitment you put into something as well.[/quote']

Yeah i agree with that, in Brazil you don't have many options so a lot of people that lack the opportunity to excel in other sports, education end up fighting in organizations in Brazil and when they figure out how talent they are they start going international... Plus we got Rio de Janeiro the MECCA of MMA and great figthers

All this ttalk about Brazilians being more dedicated and are more natural fighters are crap. Look at Brazilians in boxing and in kickboxing and in MT. There are a lot of Brazilian boxers out there. A lot of boxing shows in Brazil. Why are there no dominant Brazilian in boxing? Heck why isnt there a world champion from Brazil? The last great Brazilian boxer I remember is Acelino Freitas and he wasnt that great to begin with. Simply because unlike in MMA, Brazil is fighting on level fields with the rest of the world when it comes to boxing. Now if they are "more dedicated than everybody else" and are more "natural fighters" and "focuses more on techniques" then how come they dont dominate boxing and MT?

Brazil had an earlier start in MMA compared to the rest of the world. And the fact that BJJ is popular there, they have a better grass root development system there than the rest of the world.

As MMA becomes more and more popular, you'll see countries that are known to produce solid fighters go into MMA on a large scale. Countries like Mexico, Russia, Puerto Rico and Cuba. When that time comes and the rest of the world are on even grounds with Brazil and the US when it comes to MMA knowledge, experience and popularity, I doubt Brazil would still be one top.

Brazilian fighters concentrate more on technique' date=' especially in the standup.

I don't know 1 technical American standup fighter that even comes close to Machida, Silva, Aldo etc... and please dont mention Chuck Liddel.

Americans concentrate too much on wrestling and overpowering their opponents. They can do it with Brock just because he's a freak,[b'] but in the lower weight classes where there's no huge advantage like that it does't work as well.[/b]

Americans even changed the rules of MMA to massively favor wrestlers, but it still doesn't really work out for them.

The Brits are already better technical standup fighters than the Americans, but they just don't have a ground game to match yet.

Hell, GSP is the best American style fighter and he's not even American HAHA. He's the new prototype American style fighter.

i dont really agree with you here. there isnt even a brazilian on the brink at LW while BJ, Frankie, Maynard, Ken Flo, are all dominant american fighters, and they are just a few.

WW GSP fights the american style as you say, and he dominates all his opponents while fitch is the second best in the division.

I guess it was already stated, but it is true, there is very limited exposure towards MMA for the majority of Americans.

I saw a lot of Taekwondo or Karate classes as a child, but never saw a Brazilian Jiujitsu or Muay Thai class. It is definitely becoming more popular.

Regardless it is still a rare, and for the most part, unpracticed sport, in my neck of the woods.

Archived