Best Pure Striker in MMA History

wingzero8717

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly' date=' i dont i see the flaw in that[/quote']

It dosen't deserve to be put in top 5.

Good hands is different to great hands. He's not a great pure striker.

Silva. Wandy, Cro Cop, Shogun, Machida, Daley, GSP, Alves, Vitor all beat him to that even Gilber Yvel

JDS has better pure boxing then Carwin.

But non the less he's dangerous on his feet

its true. his striking is fantastic. arguably the best in his weight division.

You may be right but Gsp didn't agree with you as he obviously felt his striking was inferior to Hardy's and Thiago's. And I never said his striking isn't good it just isn't anywhere near top 5.

You may be right but Gsp didn't agree with you as he obviously felt his striking was inferior to Hardy's and Thiago's. And I never said his striking isn't good it just isn't anywhere near top 5.

GSP actually said that he knows he can stand with anyone, but that there is no point to when he can take his opponent to a place where they are less comfortable. GSP could easily out strike Hardy, he did while the fight was standing anyway. he also landed some nice shots on Alves while the fight was standing. GSP just makes people look silly in various ways. he is top 5 imo. he can out strike anyone in his weight division imo and everyone in MW division as well with the obvious exception being Anderson.

Carwin is not a top striker. he has power, thats it. his technique is nothing special. his head movement and footwork is horrible. not to mention that he has fought NO strikers, so u cant really be the best without beating the best. if he out struck JDS, that would be something.

GSP actually said that he knows he can stand with anyone' date=' but that there is no point to when he can take his opponent to a place where they are less comfortable. GSP could easily out strike Hardy, he did while the fight was standing anyway. he also landed some nice shots on Alves while the fight was standing. GSP just makes people look silly in various ways. he is top 5 imo. he can out strike anyone in his weight division imo and everyone in MW division as well with the obvious exception being Anderson.[/quote']

The few strikes that you do see from him catch his opponents off guard because they are expecting the shoot. This poll was about best pure strikers.

The few strikes that you do see from him catch his opponents off guard because they are expecting the shoot. This poll was about best pure strikers.

well then technically, none of these fighters are PURE strikers. they all have various tools. however, in actuality, most of the time GSP catches his opponents with his pure explosiveness, speed and athleticism. GSP sets up and times everything very well.

well then technically' date=' none of these fighters are PURE strikers. they all have various tools. however, in actuality, most of the time GSP catches his opponents with his pure explosiveness, speed and athleticism. GSP sets up and times everything very well.[/quote']

So if alves, hardy, and penn didn't have to worry about takedowns, u really think gsp would still outstrike them??

I don't think so..

So if alves' date=' hardy, and penn didn't have to worry about takedowns, u really think gsp would still outstrike them??

I don't think so..[/quote']

i think he would out strike all of them with maybe the exception of Penn.... but then again, GSP made Penn look stupid standing at UFC 94. yes, GSP can out strike them. i think everyone really forgets his striking BECAUSE he is so good on the ground. he originally had no ground game people. lol, he started in karate.

i think he would out strike all of them with maybe the exception of Penn.... but then again' date=' GSP made Penn look stupid standing at UFC 94. yes, GSP can out strike them. i think everyone really forgets his striking BECAUSE he is so good on the ground. he originally had no ground game people. lol, he started in karate.[/quote']

Really Karate has no ground fighting?

oh fu*k!!!! i accidentally clicked anderson silva's name. i was going to choose wanderlei' date=' then my computer lagged and accidentally press vote!!! FUC*!!! WANDERLEI IS THE MAN! WAR WAND![/quote']

Wandy shouldnt even be on the list really. dude is a pure brawler. he is a VERY sloppy striker, but he has gotten the job done. same goes for Belfort.

its hard to say, but i think out of this group:

mirko is the best technical striker.

wanderlai has the most heart in his striking.

anderson is the perfectionist

vitor is the most naturally gifted striker

fedor is just difficult to categorize since hes kind of mix of everything, so maybe that means hes the purest striker?

its hard to say' date=' but i think out of this group:

mirko is the best technical striker.

wanderlai has the most heart in his striking.

anderson is the perfectionist

vitor is the most naturally gifted striker

fedor is just difficult to categorize since hes kind of mix of everything, so maybe that means hes the purest striker?[/quote']

WHAT?????

Mirko is the better technical striker between himself and Anderson

these are the top 5 strikers in the UFC.

1. Anderson

2. Machida

3. Shogun

4. GSP

5. JDS

Honorable Mentions.... Kenflo' date=' Penn, Edgar, Daley, Cro Cop (of old wouldve made the list).[/quote']

Sorry to bust your bubble but both Alves and Daley have superior striking to GSP.

I was never impressed by his karate and still I'm not. Spinning back kicks and super man punches don't bring you into a top 5 position.

And since it's MMA Cung Le, Moussasi and Menhoef should all be up there before GSP

i think he would out strike all of them with maybe the exception of Penn.... but then again' date=' GSP made Penn look stupid standing at UFC 94. yes, GSP can out strike them. i think everyone really forgets his striking BECAUSE he is so good on the ground. he originally had no ground game people. lol, he started in karate.[/quote']

You have to be a GSP fan or somthing.

The guy isn't even in top 10 MMA strikers. I say this becuase I come back from a huge striking background and am a fan of k-1.

Are you being ironic? No' date=' karate has no ground fighting what so ever.[/quote']

Largely but this is also a common mis conception. Their are forms of karate that actually have basic ground attacks, guards and submissions as well as throws.

In there form of competition throws score points but the fight is then stood up although I don't really see why they learn subs when they don't use it.

Archived