Official Grapplers Thread

dairzy_horne

This is for anyone who has questions about grappling.

for me anyways i have some questions about my bjj.

1. how can i stop my forearms getting really tight from lactic acid build up when grappling?

2. do you roll with a cup?

3. best thing to do when starting in a bjj comp? like for example i have my first comp on saturday and where i train when we roll we only start on our knees and i really have know idea what to do standing whether to get single colar tie or shoot for takedown or something else.

any other questions aswell just ask :)

1. how can i stop my forearms getting really tight from lactic acid build up when grappling?

2. do you roll with a cup?

3. best thing to do when starting in a bjj comp? like for example i have my first comp on saturday and where i train when we roll we only start on our knees and i really have know idea what to do standing whether to get single colar tie or shoot for takedown or something else.

any other questions aswell just ask :)

2: once when i was rolling in practice my cup moved a side a little bit and my left dice ploped out from it and then my training partner tried to hip escape and my cup pressed agains my groin leaving my testie between my thigh(however its spelled) and my cup. OH the sweet PAIN!! Luckily i didnt "crack" my nut. But anyways i still roll with cup on

gotta watch what you eat and drink to help your body get rid of the excess. water intake is vital at all times to help process excess lactic acid, also eating food with protein, carbohydrates, but not much fat before you start grappling will help reduce muscle burn(when the body runs out of "food energy" and starts looking for fat stores for energy).

vitamin C will speed up the breakdown of lactic acid, so orange juice and the like will be far better then most drinks, powerade, gatorade etc are useful for getting electrolytes back up, but in my opinion are of limited value.

drink alot of orange juice and whatever before and after you grapple/work out and it should help revitalize your body.

Pretty much what they said.^^ and as far as how to start off a jj match is whatever is comfortable. If you don't mind working off your back and can reverse position then pull guard. Personally i like getting at least a single collar so your one move away from a choke. As far as takedowns if you see it and can get it take it. Biggest thing is to not get nervous or excited. stay calm and clear headed and do what you know. Best of luck man post back and let us know how you did.

1. There are no quick fix solutions to lactic acid build-up, You need to build a tolerance to it, whether through working out or grappling more.

2. If you compete with a cup, you should train with a cup.

3. Go for the standing position and ensuing takedown in the way that you are most familiar with. If you have zero wrestling/judo, don't panic, the other guy might not have that in his background either. Cautiously approach him, carefully go for what you know. If your opponent shows some flash of brilliance in this area, quickly pull guard before he executes his takedown and puts you in a compromising position.

Archived