Help !!!

britishranger

My young 9 year old son is starting his MMA training on Thursday and he is joining one of the best if not very best in my country as he is very serious about MMA and has watched since a time when kids his age watched teletubbies. Here is my problem....How do I push him and encourage him without being seen as a kind of bully. I know he wants to do this but obviously when he gets some bumps and bruises he will go through times when he wants to quit but how can I like I say encourage him without being overbearing and does anyone think he is too young. The gym runs classes his age but no manufacturers make Gloves in his size and I even had to specially order him Bad boy shorts. Any of you guys fathers with sons that are training with any advice

In my opinion i think your son maybe a little too young for MMA. Afterall it is an extremely physical sport. Why not try him with BJJ or Kickboxing to start him off. Its a much easier break into the field and after a few years when hes a teen he will already have a good level of knowlege and experience but, will also (being) a teenager will know if its really what he wants. P.S. What gym are you looking at? Bushido is brilliant if your in the nottingham area.

In my opinion i think your son maybe a little too young for MMA. Afterall it is an extremely physical sport. Why not try him with BJJ or Kickboxing to start him off. Its a much easier break into the field and after a few years when hes a teen he will already have a good level of knowlege and experience but' date=' will also (being) a teenager will know if its really what he wants. P.S. What gym are you looking at? Bushido is brilliant if your in the nottingham area.[/quote']

If it's class for kids it'll be just about basics and they will mix it up with sum games like catch th tiger so I don't think his son is too young. And what comes to encouraging him I'd just be very intrested about how he's doing in there and what they learned and you could let him show the moves on you. Being intrested about your kids hobby is big part of it.

i think you should wait until you son is a bit older to start mma class . Try enrolling him in ballet classes or tap dancing school. Where he gets a little more knowledge in footmovement and when he is in his teens then he should be ready

wtf!

Typical father living his dream through his son. I am sort of like this as well, but I have two daughters which makes it more difficult for me to live my dreams through them.

Honestly, IMO, he is too young. He is better off learning traditional wrestling and playing sports to condition his body through the years. When he is a teen, you can put him in some sort of Muy Thai or Karate class and at the same time learn some JJ. Then, when he is 15, you can put him in a real MMA gym. By the time he is 20 years old, he would have a handful of amateur fights. That is my recommendation.

He will have a good five years of training before he sees his first professional MMA match.

My young 9 year old son is starting his MMA training on Thursday and he is joining one of the best if not very best in my country as he is very serious about MMA and has watched since a time when kids his age watched teletubbies. Here is my problem....How do I push him and encourage him without being seen as a kind of bully. I know he wants to do this but obviously when he gets some bumps and bruises he will go through times when he wants to quit but how can I like I say encourage him without being overbearing and does anyone think he is too young. The gym runs classes his age but no manufacturers make Gloves in his size and I even had to specially order him Bad boy shorts. Any of you guys fathers with sons that are training with any advice

I dont think it is too young, dont know what people are talking about, at my Muay Thai gym the adults class starts straight after the kids and they are from about 6 through to 14 and they have a right laugh. Dont think you need to encourage him, you'll be taking him so if you keep up to taking him even when your warn out after work or cant be bothered he'll go.

They wont go balls out with the kids, or they dont in my gym so he will be looking forward to going.

If a child can pay attention for 20 minutes or more, then he or she can definitely take part in a martial arts class. I guess it really depends on your son. If your kid is really into mixed martial arts then **** yeah, let him live his dream, it would be like you being 9 and getting to be a professional wrestler at that age.

The way I see it, sports are in general good for children. Teaches them discipline, teamwork, healthy habits, social skills. If we were talking about soccer or football everyone would be pushing you to keep your kid in it. Obviously mixed martial arts is tough, but if he learns to stick with something, something difficult yet has a passion for, then he will become a mentally tough adult knowing hardwork pays off. If he finds out that he doesn't like MMA, then you both learned something.

I'm guessing he'll love it, I've yet to meet a person who didn't love BJJ after doing it just once. They don't put kids through the kind of regimens that actual fighters go through, at the Jr. level, it's more fun and less work.

I'm sure you do a fine job raising your son, but take a lesson from the Ruffo brothers' father; training is a privilege, he ****s around he loses that privilege. MMA is for self-defense at his age. Talk to the other parents there, see what they think. Get the instructors opinion.

Good Luck, I wouldn't be worrying about being seen as the dad who pushes his kids for whatever pretenses, Jr. MMA isn't some demonic kids beauty pageant where they torture their children.

Archived