The first man that can defend GSP's takedowns...

JP24

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will never happen though. Not even BJ could defend those takedowns and he has sick takedown defense. GSP is just too good at wrestling.

BJ does have good TDD but not really at WW...someone has to want to make GSP take it to the ground and sub GSP or have good TDD...

i think is you r just ready to sprawl on him and then quickley throw in an anaconda choke and you have crazy grip you can catch him but very unlikley. lol. no one will ever beat GSP. GSP is strong in every area. his weakest link is standup and anderson silvas weakest link is ground.. thats why it would make such a good fight but the thing is is that GSP would take him do with so much ease that anderson would not be able to dance. he would be trying to move n groove on the ground and it wouldnt work.

i think is you r just ready to sprawl on him and then quickley throw in an anaconda choke and you have crazy grip you can catch him but very unlikley. lol. no one will ever beat GSP. GSP is strong in every area. his weakest link is standup and anderson silvas weakest link is ground.. thats why it would make such a good fight but the thing is is that GSP would take him do with so much ease that anderson would not be able to dance. he would be trying to move n groove on the ground and it wouldnt work.

Someone will beat gsp eventually

More like the first one to defend GSP's takedowns is getting KTFO!

No one will stop them anyway. He is the best in the world at it.

I agree that he has good enough stand up to be ok if his TD fail.. but GSP doesnt have knock out power.

The next person to beat GSP is Alves.

I agree that he has good enough stand up to be ok if his TD fail.. but GSP doesnt have knock out power.

The next person to beat GSP is Alves.

Alves is one jacked dude! He weighed 208 in the octagon with GSP (source Joe Rogan)

I agree he is a threat to GSP. There is a good chance they will fight again. Even know GSP dominated him in the first fight. Beat him in the stand up too.

Alves is one jacked dude! He weighed 208 in the octagon with GSP (source Joe Rogan)

I agree he is a threat to GSP. There is a good chance they will fight again. Even know GSP dominated him in the first fight. Beat him in the stand up too.

Yeah Alves is huge, and seems to have some of the best TDD in the division, but he did get dominated by GSP.

I think the best way to defeat GSP (pure speculation) is to take out one of his legs with kicks, maybe not to the extent of Aldo/Faber, but enough to where his TDs come a little slower and become easier to defend. GSPs wrestling and striking play off of each other, if one goes away then the other is weaker. I think Alves has the tools to do this kind thing and defeat GSP standing up. That being said GSP is way ahead of the competition so far, so it may be awhile before he is defeated. But, like all great champs, his time is coming.

Yeah Alves is huge' date=' and seems to have some of the best TDD in the division, but he did get dominated by GSP.

I think the best way to defeat GSP (pure speculation) is to take out one of his legs with kicks, maybe not to the extent of Aldo/Faber, but enough to where his TDs come a little slower and become easier to defend. GSPs wrestling and striking play off of each other, if one goes away then the other is weaker. I think Alves has the tools to do this kind thing and defeat GSP standing up. That being said GSP is way ahead of the competition so far, so it may be awhile before he is defeated. But, like all great champs, his time is coming.[/quote']

That is a smart game plan. The thing is will GSP stand long enough to take significant damage to his leg? I think not. In the last fight GSP took down Alves whenever he wanted.

There is no doubt that Alves has more power in his hands than GSP. GSP is a more technical striker. If Alves connects a right hand on anyone they are going to get hurt.

I agree with you that Alves is likely the one the can give GSP a run for his money. I do think that GSP will beat him again though.

What about Jake Shields? (Yes I know there has been 1000 threads on here the last few days)

Shields or Alves? Who poses a bigger threat?

I wonder if when GSP fights a BJJ artist with good striking, when he takes it to the ground will he still say " its like eh matimatic eqashion, i put all the ahds un my favour by taking him down"

GSP needs to get back to his old style of kicking ****.

HE NEEDS TO FIGHT EVERY FIGHT LIKE HE IS TRYING TO WIN THE TITLE, NOT DEFEND IT! ARGHHHHHHHHH

That is a smart game plan. The thing is will GSP stand long enough to take significant damage to his leg? I think not. In the last fight GSP took down Alves whenever he wanted.

There is no doubt that Alves has more power in his hands than GSP. GSP is a more technical striker. If Alves connects a right hand on anyone they are going to get hurt.

I agree with you that Alves is likely the one the can give GSP a run for his money. I do think that GSP will beat him again though.

What about Jake Shields? (Yes I know there has been 1000 threads on here the last few days)

Shields or Alves? Who poses a bigger threat?

To me its Alves. In all honesty when I look at Shields fight it looks like a less skilled version of GSP himself (not saying Shields isn't skilled). Shields seems to have less power then GSP (did literally no damage to Hendo), his takedowns arent as good as GSPs (double leg had no power against Hendo), and his ground work doesnt seem to be as good as GSPs. People forget, that in the Shields/Mayhem fight Mayhem was seconds away from finishing Shields via rear naked. Mayhem had it fully locked in and the only thing that saved Shields was the round ending. GSP is much better on the ground then Mayhem, so in all reality I dont see Shields poseing much of a threat to the WW strap.

I think in a year or so, theres a realistic chance that Alves will have the tools to defeat GSP.. but then again its all pure speculation, and we all know GSP is no slouch.

Who do you think poses a bigger threat?

Shields is a much bigger threat. GSP has already pummeled Alves like a red headed step child.

Shields presents a whole other problem for GSP : what to do when someone is better than you on the ground. MAtt Hughes presented the same threat and GSP overcame it by using his striking to set Hughes up. He won;t be able to do that with Shields.

Shields is a much bigger threat. GSP has already pummeled Alves like a red headed step child.

Shields presents a whole other problem for GSP : what to do when someone is better than you on the ground. MAtt Hughes presented the same threat and GSP overcame it by using his striking to set Hughes up. He won;t be able to do that with Shields.

I disagree, I'm not a big GSP fan, but theres no way Shields is better on the ground then GSP. First of all, Shields did not fight well off of his back agaisnt Mayhem, hense Mayhem locking in an RNC and nearly ending the fight. You can bet your house that GSP will have him on his back, and theres no argument that Georges is better then Mayhem on the ground.

Secondly, Shields didnt show impressive stand up against Hendo. Though we havent seen GSP stand much lately, we should see it often in the Shields fight. Truth is, Shields is coming from a second rate organization where he was almost finished in his last 2 fights against UFC rejects. Dude poses no threat to GSP.

... my father is a rough as bastard lol

watched UFC at his house for the first time about 6 moths ago, he hadn't seen it before.

he said he wouldn't shower for a month before the fight so no one would touch him....

sounds stupid, but it crossed my mind when i saw this thread.....

could work quite well lol

constantly go for triangle attempts when gsp is in your guard.... (jumps out of your guard when he gets some of the stink on his face) turn your armpits into his face when he has you against the cage

the first person to stop gsps takedowns would do well to be smelly....

you cant put your face into another mans absurdly smelling crotch and be 100% is what im saying

HA!!

Georges would destroy Shields on the feet. You're drinkin' mad amount of Haterade if you believe otherwise.

To the people talking about leg kicks..

To be fair, GSP injured his groin against Alves.. and was still able to take him down. :P

... my father is a rough as bastard lol

watched UFC at his house for the first time about 6 moths ago' date=' he hadn't seen it before.

[b']he said he wouldn't shower for a month before the fight so no one would touch him[/b]....

sounds stupid, but it crossed my mind when i saw this thread.....

could work quite well lol

constantly go for triangle attempts when gsp is in your guard.... (jumps out of your guard when he gets some of the stink on his face) turn your armpits into his face when he has you against the cage

the first person to stop gsps takedowns would do well to be smelly....

I think I heard Matt Hughes used to do something similar to this..

I think I heard Matt Hughes used to do something similar to this..

haha i really wouldn't be surprised...

imagine you have been training so hard for weeks.... you have honed your mma skills to near perfection.... waiting for this upcoming fight (gsp)

then you finally get to the fight day.... fight starts, game plan fresh in your mind, go in for a takedown..... and OMG THAT SMELL!!!

getting gross smelly sweat all over you...

go back to your corner after the first round, smelling like the other guys nuts....

that would put me off worse than 90% of the stuff i have seen lol.... maybe more depending on how smelly a person can get

To me its Alves. In all honesty when I look at Shields fight it looks like a less skilled version of GSP himself (not saying Shields isn't skilled). Shields seems to have less power then GSP (did literally no damage to Hendo)' date=' his takedowns arent as good as GSPs (double leg had no power against Hendo), and his ground work doesnt seem to be as good as GSPs. People forget, that in the Shields/Mayhem fight Mayhem was seconds away from finishing Shields via rear naked. Mayhem had it fully locked in and the only thing that saved Shields was the round ending. GSP is much better on the ground then Mayhem, so in all reality I dont see Shields poseing much of a threat to the WW strap.

I think in a year or so, theres a realistic chance that Alves will have the tools to defeat GSP.. but then again its all pure speculation, and we all know GSP is no slouch.

Who do you think poses a bigger threat?[/quote']

I really do not know. Your opinion makes sense ... Maybe Alves is the bigger threat. He is a powerful guy. I don't think anyone hits harder than him in the WW division. I would like to see a rematch.

Do you think people are overrating Shields after the Hendo fight?

i still wanna see a rematch i think he will be able to defend his take downs if gsp isnt lackered up like a fresh condom

Not to sound like a jerk, but Bj will never get another shot at GSP. No way. GSP would crush Bj like a fly, again. Its not even a fight now that GSP has gained all that muscle and strength since his last fight with Bj.

Bj is talented, but he is not big enough for GSP. He is not a WW. No, don't say if Bj gains more size... he does not have the frame for it. His frame is very small. Dana will not feed him to GSP.

Bj will stay at LW and most likely get the title back. Its not going to be easy though. I think a Bj/Kenflo rematch would be great. Or even better, Bj/Aldo!

i think gsp is a greasy cheater....

but 1 takedown against BJ sticks in my mind.....

gsp had bjs leg way up high, then just rotated BJ at the perfect angle so he COULD NOT stay up

aint no way bj is ever stopping that... if his knee rotated on a 360 axis.... he still would of been force backwards to the ground

Thats cool' date=' I don't think he really cares what you think. lol

Seriously dude, get off the excuse train already. Its makes Bj and his fans look bad. And no, I am not having a pissing contest about it. So say what you want.[/quote']

i saw gsps corner put vaseline on his body

nothing to do with bj penn....

lol honestly... dont even think it effected the match, but still.... dont like cheaters

i saw gsps corner put vaseline on his body

nothing to do with bj penn....

lol honestly... dont even think it effected the match' date=' but still.... dont like cheaters[/quote']

I am not touching this. Everyone has wasted way too many hours arguing that is BS!

The question is, will Bj beat Frankie in the rematch?

Archived