Shields being used to keep gsp at WW

theshaun333

First this thread isnt about if shields can or will beat gsp. I do not think shields has a very good chance at beating him. Lets assume that he wont, and that dana doesnt believe he will either.

A shields gsp fight is a marketable one, and one that will be fairly easy for the ufc to hype up. They will use his " dominating " performance over hendo to say that he can take down/impose his will upon gsp. He is strikeforce champ so he is legit. blah blah blah. **** Half this forum has already started the hype up and we dont even know if he is going to join the ufc let alone get an instant title shot lol.

The point is that bringing shields in for this fight does 2 things.

1) It capitalizes on the poor business choice made by strikeforce in leaving their champion unsigned. They fully expected hendo to come in and beat him, and that shields would then resign with them for less money than it would have cost them before. It would have worked out great for them had they not forgot than anything can happen once those doors shut. Dana would be taking away, arguably, strikeforces biggest name fighter. It could perhaps bring in the new viewers that came from watching him on cbs.

2) It buys dana time to set up more marketable fights for gsp. Gsp has fought, and defeated, most of the top fighters in his weight class. We know that shields has time left on his contract so if they want this fight to happen we, unfortunately, would have to wait a while to see it. This gives a couple people mainly Fitch, Alves, Kos, and Daley time to get some more wins. Fitch is on a 4 fight win streak and a victory over Alves would do wonders to get him into the ring with gsp again, but the defeat he suffered from gsp was so one sided its kind of hard to market that fight. A six fight streak and victories over some tough guys helps a lot with that. If Kos beats daley he is still arguably a fight away from top contender, and bringing in shields gives him time to get that extra fight in. Same goes for daley imo. Alves would have to beat fitch and perhaps winner of kos/daley to warrant another shot. Its actually pretty brilliant imo.

We all want gsp to move up because we want to see him get tested, and he has frankly run out of worthy opponents at THIS moment. We know dana does not want to see gsp move up a wieght class, and from his point of view, why would he? Gsp brings in the dollars for him, and He is the dominant marketable champ that will continue to do so at that weight class. If Gps moved up and was not fairing so well against larger fighters (not saying he would) Dana is losing one of his golden boys so to speak.

From a business standpoint this is a win win. Even if Shields was to defeat gsp then can easily market him as the next big thing at ww. The guy who hasnt lost in 6 years, defeating one of the best p4p fighters in the world. Gsp wouldnt want to move up a wieght class after just losing, and would climb the ranks to get his belt back and another hypapalooza of a rematch. Thoughts?

dana will do anything to keep gsp away from THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD anderson silva shields will help this happen and dana can use the excuse of abu dabi for an excuse to not give anderson his fight.

i hope shields wins but i want gsp to win so when anderson silva roles chale sonnan he can get his match with the frech retard and destory is hugging ****

dana will do anything to keep gsp away from THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD anderson silva shields will help this happen and dana can use the excuse of abu dabi for an excuse to not give anderson his fight.

i hope shields wins but i want gsp to win so when anderson silva roles chale sonnan he can get his match with the frech retard and destory is hugging ****

Well i agree he doesnt want gsp and silva to fight. I think this fight would make huge amounts of money even if the card it was on was piss poor. The loser becomes less marketable however, in the short term. I think from a business stand point he feels he will make more money in the long run if these two fighters just keep blowing through every opponent, and rack up the title defenses.

Archived