Is Judo underrated in MMA?

everlast69

Unlike wrestling and BJJ Judo is focused mainly on throwing. On it's own in MMA it's useless. Fighters could benifit learning Judo throws but Judo's ground game is no where the level of BJJ and wrestling. What's the point of getting someone down if you can't do anything there?

How about ne-waza (correct me if wrong)' date=' isn't that Judo's ground game?[/quote']

Another thing is that Judo's rule system really holds it back. Just google it and you'll see the list of all ilegal moves. Also Judo spends so much time focusing on throwing people in training that you don't recieve enough time to practise the ground game like BJJ and wrestling. It could be beneficial but it's not verry efficient.

Judo is underrated in mma to an extent but the people that use it effectively have a real advantage because of it e.g. karo and you also see people like jon jones using the trips really effectively like against matt hammill. the advantage it has over BJJ is an immediate positional gain - i.e. side control but the fighters need to be able to use that position to take advantage of it

Judo and regular (japanese) Jiu Jitsu are two of the least used technices in MMA.. The reason is rather simple.. To throw someone you need to NOT worry about certain things.. in a Judo or Jj mach this is ok, as several moves are illigal and everyone is trying to do the same things.. But in MMA the options for contering throws are just to many... Boxing punches, leg kicks and wrestling control grips are just to well developed for anyone to be successfull at throws for a long period of time..

If you compare wrestling vs Judo takedowns, wrestling would win 100% of the time.. Simlpy because wrestling (in it american form) is focused at efficient takedowns and ground control... JJ and Judo has more "flashy" manuvers that dont work as well agains some styles, especially wrestlers... The wrestling undehooks and control positions are also extremly efficient against Judo and JJ throws. So in a stand up match the wrestler will allways win.

because of this Wrestling will allways be the best way to get someone to the ground...

On the ground BJJ is so far supperior to JJ and Judo its not even funyy.. This is quite natural since BJJ is designed from the most efficient JJ and Judo manuvers.. So at the groudn a BJJ man will allways beat an equal Judo man..

Teh Judo and JJ striking game i will not even discuss.. Except for the dragon nobody has ever been able to use it efficiently.. And even if i am a huge Lyoto fan i know that soon enough people will figure out how to beat it..

I THINK we will probably see some fighters doing rather well with Judo or JJ throws, but these will only be efficient because people are not used to them yet.. the secound a top5 contender in any weightclass starts to use these technices in more than one fight, everyone will quickly learn the correct defence and the throws will be useless...

Judo and regular (japanese) Jiu Jitsu are two of the least used technices in MMA.. The reason is rather simple.. To throw someone you need to NOT worry about certain things.. in a Judo or Jj mach this is ok' date=' as several moves are illigal and everyone is trying to do the same things.. But in MMA the options for contering throws are just to many... Boxing punches, leg kicks and wrestling control grips are just to well developed for anyone to be successfull at throws for a long period of time..

If you compare wrestling vs Judo takedowns, wrestling would win 100% of the time.. Simlpy because wrestling (in it american form) is focused at efficient takedowns and ground control... JJ and Judo has more "flashy" manuvers that dont work as well agains some styles, especially wrestlers... The wrestling undehooks and control positions are also extremly efficient against Judo and JJ throws. So in a stand up match the wrestler will allways win.

because of this Wrestling will allways be the best way to get someone to the ground...

On the ground BJJ is so far supperior to JJ and Judo its not even funyy.. This is quite natural since BJJ is designed from the most efficient JJ and Judo manuvers.. So at the groudn a BJJ man will allways beat an equal Judo man..

Teh Judo and JJ striking game i will not even discuss.. Except for the dragon nobody has ever been able to use it efficiently.. And even if i am a huge Lyoto fan i know that soon enough people will figure out how to beat it..

I THINK we will probably see some fighters doing rather well with Judo or JJ throws, but these will only be efficient because people are not used to them yet.. the secound a top5 contender in any weightclass starts to use these technices in more than one fight, everyone will quickly learn the correct defence and the throws will be useless...[/quote']

That and regular japanese ju jitsu or however you spell that one is just outdated and there isn't one legislation for JJJ to liscence and decide which instructors are legit. Making it complete garbage and a waste of money

Unlike wrestling and BJJ Judo is focused mainly on throwing. On it's own in MMA it's useless. Fighters could benifit learning Judo throws but Judo's ground game is no where the level of BJJ and wrestling. What's the point of getting someone down if you can't do anything there?

Rubbish, you are referring to "highlight reel" judo here, obviously when watching judo you see the big throws and this sticks in mind however real judoka practice ground game just as much as standing. If the throw is not a match winning throw then the onus is on the groundgame to score from there and finish the fight, what do you think happens he throws the guy and lets him get baack up again? no chance, you get on them and try to choke, strangle, or submit your opponent from there

One of the most common finishing moves in MMA is Gugi-Gatame or as you will know it The Armbar so as far as not being able to do any-thing while o the ground, another invalid point.

judo is somewhat useful for the throws and some of the ground game its just not as popular as wrestling or bjj. its mma for a reason. to be successful you need skills in several forms of martial arts. not to mention that there are moves that are so similar is there any real difference in a hip toss in wrestling and one in judo. they might have different names but practically the same. i think it comes down to you dont see to many judo dojos anymore. i see kickboxing and bjj places all over the place. think about it most of todays fighters get their start in high school wrestling and build off of that.

works for gsp

Rubbish' date=' you are referring to "highlight reel" judo here, obviously when watching judo you see the big throws and this sticks in mind however real judoka practice ground game just as much as standing. If the throw is not a match winning throw then the onus is on the groundgame to score from there and finish the fight, what do you think happens he throws the guy and lets him get baack up again? no chance, you get on them and try to choke, strangle, or submit your opponent from there

One of the most common finishing moves in MMA is Gugi-Gatame or as you will know it The Armbar so as far as not being able to do any-thing while o the ground, another invalid point.[/quote']

Or there is BJJ. Where you pull guard and work for a sweep or to submit with no real focus on takedowns. Causing BJJ to have a far superior and more well suited ground game then Judo. Why? Becuase they basically exclusivaly work on just ground fighting. With few exceptions. But don't take it from me I'm no BJJ expert

not very easy to adapt Judo to MMA coz judoka always train with the gi on. There are some trainers who incorporate a lot of judo techniques in their training. Eddie Bravo has called his system Judo without the gi, Dave Camarillo is the other one that comes to mind.

Fighters who utilize judo:

Fedor (judo BB)

Yoshida Hidehiko

Akiyama

Karo

Gamburyan

You guys are forgetting that the greatest fighter of all time, Emelianenko Fedor has dominated men in the clinch with combat sambo - a direct descendent of judo. As Freedom noted, it's tough to incorporate it into modern MMA due to the standard use of the gi, but the principles are unmatched.

I definitely think it is an underused/appreciated art in the world of MMA.

Archived