Do you think MMA could ever become an Olympic sport?

Raptor_45

I know' date=' probably not, (IE. How are you going to do back-to-back fights with broken ribs - unless you had teams), but if it were,

Which country do you think would win?

[i']Inspired by the Brazilian fighters post.[/i]

not really, mma is to much of an open technique sport...it'll never happen. It works within its own realm but not in the olympics

Boxing can be an Olympic sport' date=' so to in theory can MMA.

But like (American) Football, it simply doesn't quite fit with "The Games."[/quote']

because a boxer fights a boxer...karate vs karate, wrestler vs wrestler. they wouldn't be interested in a wrestler vs boxer or anything like that

because a boxer fights a boxer...karate vs karate' date=' wrestler vs wrestler. they wouldn't be interested in a wrestler vs boxer or anything like that[/quote']

It's not ufc 1 anymore these days its mixed martial artist vs mixed martial artist. mma fighters are predominantly "well rounded" fighters training in all areas & aspects of mma but they will obviously have their strength or their base like wrestling or what ever which is often what they competed/trained in as a kid/teenager. It's hard to say if it would work like a previous post said injuries would play a big part i'm sure brazil would kick **** if it did come to light somehow.

It's not ufc 1 anymore these days its mixed martial artist vs mixed martial artist. mma fighters are predominantly "well rounded" fighters training in all areas & aspects of mma but they will obviously have their strength or their base like wrestling or what ever which is often what they competed/trained in as a kid/teenager. It's hard to say if it would work like a previous post said injuries would play a big part i'm sure brazil would kick **** if it did come to light somehow.

the arguement against that is if your strength is wrestling...then wrestle in the olympics, if its boxing then do the boxing. The olympics is for pure sports, not mixed and it will always be the same. I'd like to see it become a part of it but it's not what the olympics is all about. The olympics is about specifics. MMA is made of various martial arts + boxing + wrestling, the olympic commitee want these seperate and thats just the way it is

mma could become an Olympic sport but i don't think it ever will. the Olympic committee would first have to lay they Olympic rules down which would be different from ufc no doubt and then have it as a trail game as they do all the new games they may add to the games. I dont see mma being popular enough to make it into the Olympics anytime soon. But it is gaining attention and I bet the Olympic committee will look at it because its all about ratings and viewers. more people watching the more money they make. i say give it a try in the winter Olympics most of the winter games suck.

the arguement against that is if your strength is wrestling...then wrestle in the olympics' date=' if its boxing then do the boxing. The olympics is for pure sports, not mixed and it will always be the same. I'd like to see it become a part of it but it's not what the olympics is all about. The olympics is about specifics. MMA is made of various martial arts + boxing + wrestling, the olympic commitee want these seperate and thats just the way it is[/quote']

+1

stole my words:D

mma could become an Olympic sport but i don't think it ever will. the Olympic committee would first have to lay they Olympic rules down which would be different from ufc no doubt and then have it as a trail game as they do all the new games they may add to the games. I dont see mma being popular enough to make it into the Olympics anytime soon. But it is gaining attention and I bet the Olympic committee will look at it because its all about ratings and viewers. more people watching the more money they make. i say give it a try in the winter Olympics most of the winter games suck.

also the olympics is an amateur event...which means you dont get paid for doing what you do...at the games or anywhere else which means you wouldnt see the fighters we see on the tv being a part of it anyway and as mma isnt all that popular worldwide the level of compitition would be so low it really wouldnt be interesting to anyone else. like i said i'd like to see it but there just isnt enough young talent out there to pull it off

They've had boxing and wrestling forever, and they've had things likeTaekwondo.

So I'm not really sure why MMA would be much of a reach. It woud have to use the bigger gloves. I'd guess the USA would dominate it with their significant interest in MMA and a strong wrestler base. With the pads on and bigger gloves, strikers would be punished and BJJ guys would be punished, while wrestling doesn't get hurt much by either of those.

They've had boxing and wrestling forever' date=' and they've had things likeTaekwondo.

So I'm not really sure why MMA would be much of a reach. It woud have to use the bigger gloves. I'd guess the USA would dominate it with their significant interest in MMA and a strong wrestler base. With the pads on and bigger gloves, strikers would be punished and BJJ guys would be punished, while wrestling doesn't get hurt much by either of those.[/quote']

you said it, wrestler based...the olympics dont want multiple styles..they want purists. a mix of things wouldnt be pure. You end up with 1 style of fighting versus the other, it just wouldn't work. MMA is kind of a jack of all trades and master of none, and if a fighter like gsp who people say is a great wrestler...well he can go to the games and wrestle. They are not interested in it and its just the way it is. Put that together with the fact that wrestling and boxing are not classed as martial arts by the olympics they wouldnt put them against martial artists. It may change but i wouldnt hold your breath

also the olympics is an amateur event...which means you dont get paid for doing what you do...at the games or anywhere else which means you wouldnt see the fighters we see on the tv being a part of it anyway and as mma isnt all that popular worldwide the level of compitition would be so low it really wouldnt be interesting to anyone else. like i said i'd like to see it but there just isnt enough young talent out there to pull it off

That's not true, what about basketball (dream team), baseball, hockey, they all use their professional athletes in the olympics.

I actually just helped my buddy on a university assignment on this exact subject. If you want mma in the olympics a few things would need to happen first. First the Olympic comittee would need to sanction BJJ, second their could be no elbows thrown (as they make boxers wear helmets) and they wouldn't want serious injuries. The most amount of fights, I think fighters could have in two weeks would be 3, so each weight class could only have an 8 man tourney. (Quarters, Semis, Finals). Other than that I don't have the assignment on me, but my buddy got an A.

So in theory MMA could be in the Olympics, just not with the same sets of rules that the UFC has and it won't happen for awhile.

That's not true' date=' what about basketball (dream team), baseball, hockey, they all use their professional athletes in the olympics.

I actually just helped my buddy on a university assignment on this exact subject. If you want mma in the olympics a few things would need to happen first. First the Olympic comittee would need to sanction BJJ, second their could be no elbows thrown (as they make boxers wear helmets) and they wouldn't want serious injuries. The most amount of fights, I think fighters could have in two weeks would be 3, so each weight class could only have an 8 man tourney. (Quarters, Semis, Finals). Other than that I don't have the assignment on me, but my buddy got an A.

So in theory MMA could be in the Olympics, just not with the same sets of rules that the UFC has and it won't happen for awhile.[/quote']

yes and the inclusion of those 3 sports and the fact that proffessionals played kicked up a bit of a whirlwind...plus the fact that the rest of the world doesnt really have much interest in them. As for what you and your buddy think that's fine..but its only what you think, what matters is the olympic committee and they have shown zero interest in it. The problem will always be...regardless of whether we like it or not is that MMA can be broken down into specific ares...and these specific areas are what interest the olympics...i dont like it but i understand why they dont want it.

There already a few exeption to this , Hockey profesionnal player can go to the olympic .

yes and the inclusion of those 3 sports and the fact that proffessionals played kicked up a bit of a whirlwind...plus the fact that the rest of the world doesnt really have much interest in them. As for what you and your buddy think that's fine..but its only what you think' date=' what matters is the olympic committee and they have shown zero interest in it. The problem will always be...regardless of whether we like it or not is that MMA can be broken down into specific ares...and these specific areas are what interest the olympics...i dont like it but i understand why they dont want it.[/quote']

I agree that in all likelihood, mma won't become an olympic sport and your reasons make sense. Yes there has been a whirlwind about pro athletes in the olympics but then again the US finished 3rd in 2004 and basketball has grown immensely internationally since 1992 with the introduction of pros. But the OP's question was COULD it ever become an olympic sport and I believe it could, just not anytime soon

Archived