Frankie Edgar... no credit?

InvisibleControl

What's with Dana and the UFC overlooking this guy? I think it's completely disrespectful. Did they just throw him at BJ thinking it would be an easy win for him and he would keep his title or something adding more hype? Because that sure as hell is what it looks like.

Edgar beat Penn, fair and square. And right away they are giving Penn a rematch. That's kind of disrespectful in my opinion. And then you hear Dana talking about Jose Aldo, saying he can be the first guy to hold 3 titles in different weight classes, dropping to 135 to face the champion there, and coming to the UFC and facing BJ. Why didn't he say Edgar or at least say the UFC Champion? Has it not struck him yet that BJ lost that fight?

I think the UFC threw Edgar to the dogs, and it backfired on them. Just like Strikeforce threw Shields to Hendo and it backfired on them. Seriously, they need to start giving the guy the respect he deserves as the Champion.

What's with Dana and the UFC overlooking this guy? I think it's completely disrespectful. Did they just throw him at BJ thinking it would be an easy win for him and he would keep his title or something adding more hype? Because that sure as hell is what it looks like.

Edgar beat Penn' date=' fair and square. And right away they are giving Penn a rematch. That's kind of disrespectful in my opinion. And then you hear Dana talking about Jose Aldo, saying he can be the first guy to hold 3 titles in different weight classes, dropping to 135 to face the champion there, and coming to the UFC and facing BJ. Why didn't he say Edgar or at least say the UFC Champion? Has it not struck him yet that BJ lost that fight?

I think the UFC threw Edgar to the dogs, and it backfired on them. Just like Strikeforce threw Shields to Hendo and it backfired on them. Seriously, they need to start giving the guy the respect he deserves as the Champion.[/quote']

I'll respect him if he beast BJ again. That fight should have gone to the ground and I have a feeling that it will this time.

Edgar beat Penn' date=' fair and square. And right away they are giving Penn a rematch. That's kind of disrespectful in my opinion. And then you hear Dana talking about Jose Aldo, saying he can be the first guy to hold 3 titles in different weight classes, dropping to 135 to face the champion there, and coming to the UFC and facing BJ. Why didn't he say Edgar or at least say the UFC Champion? Has it not struck him yet that BJ lost that fight?

I think the UFC threw Edgar to the dogs, and it backfired on them. Just like Strikeforce threw Shields to Hendo and it backfired on them. Seriously, they need to start giving the guy the respect he deserves as the Champion.[/quote']

i agree it seems that ufc have their idea of who is best for buisness as champs and thats what they push bj should have to work his way back to a shot but edgars just not as big of a sell as bj. i also read the interview where he said aldo will go to the ufc to face bj for a title, thats wrong! i like bj but he lost and so what if its close he shouldnt of let it go to the judges then i feel for edgar because if bj comes back at his best and walks through edgar, edgars time as champ is going to be overlooked like serras!

I'll respect him if he beast BJ again. That fight should have gone to the ground and I have a feeling that it will this time.

Don't forget Edgar was an NCAA D-1 Eastern Wrestling league (free style) champ with a record of 120-20 & knows some jui-jitsu too.

So let it go to the ground, because Frank's no newbie on the mat.

You know every body says he's too small for the UFC (Including Joe Rogan & Dana) & should drop to 145. He may eventually do that some day... Just like BJ did it after both Matt Hughes & GSP defeted him & he realized he didn't have a shot & the 170lbs title. So, if the day come where he feels he cannot win in this weight class maybe he'll drop down & dominate in WEC, but untill then I'd love to see him tear up the 155lbs division for a bit.

edgar did beat BJ fair and square. thats true... i guess. the judges gave it to him even though it was a pretty even fight.

if the BJ that fought Sanchez had shown up that night... i dont think that edgar would have won. The loss is on BJ for not caring enough to train harder. And yes, the UFC should give him a rematch because it was questionable. same as they did with Machida/shogun.

Don't forget Edgar was an NCAA D-1 Eastern Wrestling league (free style) champ with a record of 120-20 & knows some jui-jitsu too.

So let it go to the ground' date=' because Frank's no newbie on the mat.

You know every body says he's too small for the UFC (Including Joe Rogan & Dana) & should drop to 145. He may eventually do that some day... Just like BJ did it after both Matt Hughes & GSP defeted him & he realized he didn't have a shot & the 170lbs title. So, if the day come where he feels he cannot win in this weight class maybe he'll drop down & dominate in WEC, but untill then I'd love to see him tear up the 155lbs division for a bit.[/quote']

True,but,this is BJ Penn. Edgar's Jui-jitsu is no where near Penn's. The ground game is just as dangerous if not more,as his stand up game is. IDK Where the BJ that fought Sanchez went,but had he shown up that night,Edgar most definitly would have lost that fight. Sick,Overlooking,or just plain lost,We will all see who's the true champ come that rematch.

I've watched the fight 4 times now. My opinion has fluxuated from my original stance...

I'm certain that BJ was giving an instant rematch because the decision was so controversial. Even as an Edgar fan, I can't see Crosby's logic in giving all 5 rounds to Edgar.

In regards to Dana's statement, I agree it's possible that was a slip of the tongue. Or else a prophetic, Freudian slip. In all other ways, White has been pretty even-handed regarding Frankie Edgar. He worked his **** off and was deserving of the title shot. Obviously he worked trained hard and pressed the fight with Penn all the way to closing horn.

I am anxiously awaiting the re-match. I suspect that Edgar drilled his ground game and could only be pleasantly surprised when Penn didn't take the fight to the mat. So, now Edgar will have 2 training cycles to try to find an answer for Penn's superior Jiu-jitsu.

bj had a sinus infection and was on antibiotics' date=' not sure if any of you have had a sinus infection before but it drains you, plus not being able to breathe out of your nose pretty much sucks.[/quote']

I read that too. I'm not sure. Penn has a history of cardio issues. I'm not sure the sinus infection really made that much of a difference. One would think he would be even more compelled to take the fight to the ground and press his ground advantage, if the sinus infection was that much of a liability.

Nobody belives that last fight was anything but an off night for BJ.

You have to really beat the champ to be the champ - not out point him.

[b']I think the UFC threw Edgar to the dogs, and it backfired on them.[/b] Just like Strikeforce threw Shields to Hendo and it backfired on them. Seriously, they need to start giving the guy the respect he deserves as the Champion.

You are 100% right. It backfired on Dana/UFC. They gave Frankie no chance in beating Bj and expected Bj walk on him and then move to WW. (Bj will not move to WW now) Turns out Frankie won all 5 rounds winning the LW title. Frankie has a great chance at beating Bj again. If the fight stays standing Bj will lose again. He has to take it to the ground to have any chance of winning.

Whats worse than an automatic rematch, is Edgar doesn't get a chance to defend his belt before having to fight BJ again. It was even worse with Serra and GSP, because Serra finished him. Edgar just barely squeeked out a decision!!

Edgar didn't "squeak out a decision". He dominated, fair and square. I'm a huge BJ fan but come on. Anyone who thinks that fight is controversial are just incredibly biased or something and want to believe BJ won.

"You have to beat the champion to become the champion, not outpoint him". What better way to beat a champion then to outpoint them? Outpointing a guy decisively means you controlled the fight. Landing a lucky punch and getting a KO or getting a lucky submission doesn't make you more of a champion.

With the Serra reference. GSP had to work his way back. And everyone knew that he got caught with a lucky punch and wasn't on that night. But he didn't get an instant rematch, did he? He had to fight 3 guys to get his rematch. BJ should have to do the same.

yeah u have some great points invisible, but the UFC is about the Dollars and If the fight was close and BJ brings in more money than Frankie, they're gonna give him a rematch, now if frankie beats him twice than he will have that popularity

i agree

Archived