gsp vs shields

lethalQ

i say why not give him a shot if he wants one. who is to say he wants to drop down. dropping down would be a good move for him coming over to ufc where he is going to find a lot tougher guys than he had at strikeforce. if he did however i see gsp winning by decision.

GSP wins this fight anywhere he wants... standup or ground. Kos and Fitch are much better wrestlers than Shields yet GSP had no problem taking them down. As far as submissions go - better bjj guys have tried and could not submit him, remember Serra, and Penn? Bottom line - Jake Shields has nothing for GSP (on paper of course;) ).

i would probably want to see GSP and Shields for the simple reason that so far GSP takes people down, lays on them, elbows and punches them at will and then holds them in a submission threat for 2 minutes per round. GSP doesn't need to go up in weight, he just needs to fight a wrestler with big upper body strength. not Alves..

Jake Shields is a solid fighter. His wrestling and BJJ are great though his standup is mediocre. I think as far as promotion, sales etc this fight makes since because Shields just beat Dan Henderson which most people (including myself) did not see happening. Casual fans will correlate this fact with him being a legitmate threat against GSP. In addition, GSP has beaten all of the top contenders in the WW division.

Now as far as Shields being a legitimate threat, that's a different story. GSP is a better wrestler and striker. His BJJ is at least comparable to Shields. So I see GSP dominating the fight and being able to dictate where the fight goes. Shields would still have the outside chance of catching GSP in a submission but I think if they fought 10 times, GSP would win 9 of them. They are similar fighters but GSP is just better or equal in all areas. It's not a good matchup for Shields but it would be interesting to see GSP fight a grappler again since his last 2 fights have been against strikers.

GSP is just overall better than everyone in the division. This being said, he could still lose any given fight because 1 mistake can cost you the fight. But if he were matched up against any fighter in the divison he would win at least 80% of the time.

The fight everyone wants to see is Silva v GSP. Silva's length, footwork, height, and power all pose risks to GSP. I think 178 would be a fair weight. It would be by far the biggest fight in history. I think it will happen if each wins there next fight or two.

We would see GSP standup clinic and people complaining why not grapple with Jake:D.I bet there would be many post that GSP was affraid of Jake ground game..and yes make it happen it's the only fight left for GSP at WW..

i agree that this is the only fight left for gsp at ww, he needs to move up where there are more challenges and this fight could even take place at middleweight

The funny thing about shield's stand up is that its really horrible..... Shields is horrible at hes feet.... Have you ever seen bully beat down? Well watch shields in that show, in one of hes kick boxing bout where he was supposed to make a bully quit shields couldnt... SHIELDS COULDNT EVEN FINISH AN AMATEUR GUY WHO HADNT FIGHT EXCEPT ON THE STREETS (and i dont mean that the guy was a street fighter, just a bully) FFS and how ****ty is that?

The funny thing about shield's stand up is that its really horrible..... Shields is horrible at hes feet.... Have you ever seen bully beat down? Well watch shields in that show' date=' in one of hes kick boxing bout where he was supposed to make a bully quit shields couldnt... SHIELDS COULDNT EVEN FINISH AN AMATEUR GUY WHO HADNT FIGHT EXCEPT ON THE STREETS (and i dont mean that the guy was a street fighter, just a bully) FFS and how ****ty is that?[/quote']

He finished Daley easily enough.

I guess Daley isn;t even as good as an ameteur.

I'll admit it was pretty impressive to see Shields take Henderson down at will. I think he is a great wrestler. But people do have to remember that Henderson was/is a great wrestler BUT he is a Greco Roman wrestler. Freestyle wrestling is totally different than Greco Roman. Henderson is great at hand fighting, underhooks, and just generally overpowering and wearing down opponents. This is Greco Roman wrestling. All of it is waist up hand fighting and positioning. Freestyle wrestling incorporates shooting in on the legs (single/double leg takedowns) etc.

People do need to keep in mind that just because Shieds took down Henderson with freestyle wrestling does not necessarily mean he can be successful against another great freestyle wrestler. So eventhough Shields did dominate a great wrestler in Henderson I still believe GSP has superior freestyle wrestling and will be able to dictate where the fight goes.

Archived