Just had my first Taijutsu lesson any tips?

sjameson6969

Hello my fellow mma nerds!

I've been coming on here for ages now talking about mma, and been watching UFC for years, but have never trained in any Martial arts, (had six amateur boxing fights but I wouldn't count those)

So I thought I'd give it a go, there's a local Taijutsu class in my town so I went along last night and loved it!!

I know there's alot of guys on here who train, so was wondering if you've any tips for me?

Or does anyone know anything about this particular Martial Art?

Thanks Stuart.

alright mate

i ent 100% sure on the differant parts of that martial art so if im mistaken im sorry

but i think it has ground work like grappleing

so explosive power is key

if you do alot of workouts such as squat thrusts and burpies etc..

and also drilling the movements you get tought is great.

i started mma in august and was loving it but when i was sparring i sometimes found i couldnt fully pull the armbar or triangle but my teacher tought me about drilling and now i find it much easyer

alright mate

i ent 100% sure on the differant parts of that martial art so if im mistaken im sorry

but i think it has ground work like grappleing

so explosive power is key

if you do alot of workouts such as squat thrusts and burpies etc..

and also drilling the movements you get tought is great.

i started mma in august and was loving it but when i was sparring i sometimes found i couldnt fully pull the armbar or triangle but my teacher tought me about drilling and now i find it much easyer

Thanks for the advice mate, yeah think its basically stand up and grappling.

Maybe a good base for mma.

See how it goes anyway.

No offense but I suggest you join up to a different class

Taijitsu is apparently a japanese arte very similiar to Japanese Ju Jitsu and Akido. They are all outdated, old and not very practical. I suggest you look into who your instructor is and checking his credentials. If he claims black belts in anything especially BJJ ask him who he recieved it from and google the person or make a check. If you can't find info or no one on any forum can he's probably wasting your time.

Japanese Ju Jitsu(spelt the japanese way) was replaced by Judo in japan and Akido(although it may seem practical) is very impractical. Those are both 2 martial arts two stay clear of for these reasons.

1. To many bogus teachers taking your money

2. They are not very good martial arts(don't give me that it's not the martial art but the martial artist)

3. Almost useless for MMA.

Sorry this may dissapoint you but it is really for the best that you probably look into a better martial art. Here's a list

1. Muay Thai

2. Sanda/Sanshou

3. BJJ

4. Wrestling

5. Sambo

6. Join a school with MMA classes

7. Boxing

8. Kick boxing

9. Judo

10. Karate(watch out theres alot of McDojo's out there)

Many people think sports martial arts are bad for self defence but infact they are wrong. People who learn self defence consistantly are unable to use techniques especially under high stress. Gun dissarming and knife dissarming may seem possible or easy but in reality it's not what it seems like. A good parry and a punch to the chin then kick to the groin will help you more then any technique Krav Maga will teach you.

Have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJAgfO2GQc

This is the reality, you may get stabbed but you can still survive. And against a determined attacker that wont back off and is looking to kill you it won't be as easy as grab the wrist and break his hand to piesces. Also the attacker wont just stab he'll kick and headbutt you. Just becuase someone has a weapon dosen;t mean it;s all they'll use.

I hope this helps you

No offense but I suggest you join up to a different class

Taijitsu is apparently a japanese arte very similiar to Japanese Ju Jitsu and Akido. They are all outdated' date=' old and not very practical. I suggest you look into who your instructor is and checking his credentials. If he claims black belts in anything especially BJJ ask him who he recieved it from and google the person or make a check. If you can't find info or no one on any forum can he's probably wasting your time.

Japanese Ju Jitsu(spelt the japanese way) was replaced by Judo in japan and Akido(although it may seem practical) is very impractical. Those are both 2 martial arts two stay clear of for these reasons.

1. To many bogus teachers taking your money

2. They are not very good martial arts(don't give me that it's not the martial art but the martial artist)

3. Almost useless for MMA.

Sorry this may dissapoint you but it is really for the best that you probably look into a better martial art. Here's a list

1. Muay Thai

2. Sanda/Sanshou

3. BJJ

4. Wrestling

5. Sambo

6. Join a school with MMA classes

7. Boxing

8. Kick boxing

9. Judo

10. Karate(watch out theres alot of McDojo's out there)

Many people think sports martial arts are bad for self defence but infact they are wrong. People who learn self defence consistantly are unable to use techniques especially under high stress. Gun dissarming and knife dissarming may seem possible or easy but in reality it's not what it seems like. A good parry and a punch to the chin then kick to the groin will help you more then any technique Krav Maga will teach you.

Have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJAgfO2GQc

This is the reality, you may get stabbed but you can still survive. And against a determined attacker that wont back off and is looking to kill you it won't be as easy as grab the wrist and break his hand to piesces. Also the attacker wont just stab he'll kick and headbutt you. Just becuase someone has a weapon dosen;t mean it;s all they'll use.

I hope this helps you[/quote']

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

Seriously mate, dont listen to this guy, he has limited knowledge on the subject.

This is a good art, which trains in striking, disarming, throws, locks, grappling and pinning.

They focus alot on conditioning too. Depending on your instructor he/she may also throw in conditioning practices used in Japan.

You may want to speak to your instuctor regarding his training history, lineage, etc. As there are alot of instructors out their that claim to teach authentic japanese arts but unfortunately are mcdojo's.

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

Seriously mate' date=' dont listen to this guy, he has limited knowledge on the subject.

This is a good art, which trains in striking, disarming, throws, locks, grappling and pinning.

They focus alot on conditioning too. Depending on your instructor he/she may also throw in conditioning practices used in Japan.

You may want to speak to your instuctor regarding his training history, lineage, etc. As there are alot of instructors out their that claim to teach authentic japanese arts but unfortunately are mcdojo's.[/quote']

Why disregard this? Most japanese arrts have been watered down by phony instructors. That's why I say it's a solider choice to take a sports martial art becuase it's alot easier to spot a McDojo and a actualy gym.

And also the fact is alot of the locks are un practical stupid, easily escaped and out dated. It is the solid truth but to many Traditional martial artist refuse to believe it's no true. What I have just said to the kid may have just saved him time money and pointed him in the right derection.

It's facts. To many of these places are McDojo's... Oh and please if they offer weapon training and instruct you how to use fans or stupid crap just get up and leave. chances are they are taking your money for somthing useless. Also if they teach you wristlocks leave. I don't need to explain myself here oh and if they don't offer live hard-medium sparring it's useless learning it for self defence becuase you won't have expirience in real life stressfull situations like real combat.

Archived