Will we ever see the best BJ possible?

Leiting

It seems like of all the top level fighters in the world, BJ is constantly touted as having all the natural skill in the world but a fraction of the dedication. I know in recent years he has spent more time training and trying to improv his game (especially since the GSP II fight) but it still seems like his cardio is never solid, and his focus isn't lasered in.

Do you think BJ will ever reach his ultimate potential, or do you think he'll always be the "unlimited potential" kind of guy?

I think it really might have been the best BJ vs Diego, he was ready for that fight. The Edgar fight, that definitely wasn't the best BJ, but I have no doubt that he can become even better than we have seen yet. He is still well within his prime, it is just what he decides to do with it.

yes a good fight to watch is diego vs. penn .. im not saying penn was at his best at that point in his career but its a idea of how good he is compared .. oh and try not to laugh when you see diego give bj the meanest stare down he has ever seen

Oh I've seen it, and he was really on for Diego, but I still felt like there was more room for improvement in Penn. Maybe I give him too much credit, but in terms of god given ability, he and Brock Lesnar are two of the most naturally gifted fighters I've ever seen.

(god I hate putting BJ and Brock in the same sentence)

Oh I've seen it' date=' and he was really on for Diego, but I still felt like there was more room for improvement in Penn. Maybe I give him too much credit, but in terms of god given ability, he and Brock Lesnar are two of the most naturally gifted fighters I've ever seen.

(god I hate putting BJ and Brock in the same sentence)[/quote']

Yeah BJ and Brock shouldent be in the same sentence. AHHH you made me do it too. Dope. Bj Penn will show his greatness when he fights Frankie again I feel sorry for Frankie. Its going to be ugly.

It seems like of all the top level fighters in the world' date=' BJ is constantly touted as having all the natural skill in the world but a fraction of the dedication. I know in recent years he has spent more time training and trying to improv his game (especially since the GSP II fight) but it still seems like his cardio is never solid, and his focus isn't lasered in.

Do you think BJ will ever reach his ultimate potential, or do you think he'll always be the "unlimited potential" kind of guy?[/quote']

Maybe you don't watch much mma but Bj looked fantastic and showed excellent cardio against Kenny and Diego. If his trainer didn't come out with this infection stuff I would assume Bj was slacking again but I'm confident that Bj will win back his belt and show that the fight was a fluke.

It seems like of all the top level fighters in the world' date=' BJ is constantly touted as having all the natural skill in the world but a fraction of the dedication. I know in recent years he has spent more time training and trying to improv his game (especially since the GSP II fight) but it still seems like his cardio is never solid, and his focus isn't lasered in.

Do you think BJ will ever reach his ultimate potential, or do you think he'll always be the "unlimited potential" kind of guy?[/quote']

No never.

BJ and GSP strength and conditioning is on a completely diffrent level.

I always follow fighters strength and conditioning very closely because strength and conditioning it's a passion of mine and I nearly find it a interesting as the fight it's self.

Watching GSP strength and conditioning it is flawless pefect training wich is all weight sessions are oly lifts which is why GSP is so explosive and strong perfect diet with personal chef.

And then BJ's which to be honest even now isn't up too UFC standards I seen the guy doing DB benchs presses of 50lbs and strugling after about 6 reps and from what it seemed it was at no where near the intensity of GSP training. But I didn't see much of the BJ's diet so I cant comment on that.

After ranting and raving I think GSP has grew so much as fighter and deserves to be better as he is a very hard working and dedicated athlete and that's why I admire him.

No never.

BJ and GSP strength and conditioning is on a completely diffrent level.

I always follow fighters strength and conditioning very closely because strength and conditioning it's a passion of mine and I nearly find it a interesting as the fight it's self.

Watching GSP strength and conditioning it is flawless pefect training wich is all weight sessions are oly lifts which is why GSP is so explosive and strong perfect diet with personal chef.

And then BJ's which to be honest even now isn't up too UFC standards I seen the guy doing DB benchs presses of 50lbs and strugling after about 6 reps and from what it seemed it was at no where near the intensity of GSP training. But I didn't see much of the BJ's diet so I cant comment on that.

After ranting and raving I think GSP has grew so much as fighter and deserves to be better as he is a very hard working and dedicated athlete and that why I admire him.

He has only been on a good diet for less than a year. He said that in an interview.

He has only been on a good diet for less than a year. He said that in an interview.

Im going on the fact of the last countdown shows. But im sure GSP has had good training and diet methods for more than a year. They may be better now but im sure they were always at a good standard.

But you if anyone would know.

We will never see Penn at his best, for he will never have the drive to push himself to the limit. If he trains as hard as GSP, I would like to see a Penn vs GSP III, however, I know he will never have that kind of dedication. Dedication and work ethics are attributes you learn and develop as a child and not as an adult.

Penn will never reach his true potential. How sad, he could have been Legendary Great.

Maybe you don't watch much mma but Bj looked fantastic and showed excellent cardio against Kenny and Diego. If his trainer didn't come out with this infection stuff I would assume Bj was slacking again but I'm confident that Bj will win back his belt and show that the fight was a fluke.

I totally agree. I watched that fight and thought to myself as BJ was walking out that he did not look healthy. It was not the same BJ I know. Frankie Edgar didn't do anything to get BJ off his game. BJ was probably 50% at best.

When was his last BIG fight? It was when he fought GSP. I think he now realizes that that was the biggest point in his career. Now he just looks bored.

He definitely wont look bored when he's fighting to get his title back. I generally like it when the dominant champions lose (even if they're one of my favorites) because they always come back stronger and usually win in dominant fashion.

he is hanging around ssj2 right now i cant say he is ssj3 or even ssj4 just yet

I think it really might have been the best BJ vs Diego' date=' he was ready for that fight. The Edgar fight, that definitely wasn't the best BJ, but I have no doubt that he can become even better than we have seen yet. He is still well within his prime, it is just what he decides to do with it.[/quote']

I agree I think he was at his best against Diego. He had the fire in his eyes through the build up, weigh in and fight. I didn't see that same desire in his eyes in the build up to the Edgar fight and do believe that Edgar out worked him.

Will he be fired up for the rematch? Lets hope so coz the two of them should put on quite a display!

i feel that for bj to become the best he can truly be somebodys gonna have to push him, and im not talking about trainers or what not im talking about gsp. It would be really hard for gsp to talk smack be cause he does minimal trash talk but I could see if gsp talked **** about his family or more important his daughter, BJ would start EURO training like terry crews pack on 20 pounds of muscle and have murder in his eyes for gsp. that is the only way i could see bj release his true potential.

When was his last BIG fight? It was when he fought GSP. I think he now realizes that that was the biggest point in his career. Now he just looks bored.

No that was his last megafight. He is the only fighter in UFC history that has had a fight at that caliber. No other UFC champion has ever cleared their division and gone up a weight class and fought the champion of that division. That was his second time doing so, he won the first one.

Diego and Kenny were both BIG fights. Bigger than fighting someone like Dan Hardy or Demian Maia.

bj's career is like a roller coaster with random ups and downs. i think he has underestimated certain opponents such as pulver and edgar and thats why he has a less than perfect record. he also needs to forget about fighting gsp again and work on dominating 155

bj's career is like a roller coaster with random ups and downs. i think he has underestimated certain opponents such as pulver and edgar and thats why he has a less than perfect record. he also needs to forget about fighting gsp again and work on dominating 155

lol he can skip gsp and fight silva. saying if george wont fight him i will.

We've already seen ultimate Penn. Penn's prime was when he obliterated Din Thomas and Caol Uno back in the day.....then he went lax.....then returned to form and we saw a BJ 2.0 in his destruction over Sherk, Florian and Sanchez........

Can he retain this level of dominance? Hard to say.....focus is a big thing, and BJ has been easily distracted in the past.

Archived