Are Shogun and Machida really that good?

Kristufa

Now I'm a huge Machida fan, but the thought came across me the other day. Everyone talks about how Machida and Shogun are head and shoulders above the rest of the LHW, but are they really?

Let me explain.

Now when Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir were having their little rivalry, most rankings (strictly UFC) listed Brock as #1, and Frank as #2. Now we sure as hell know now that Mir isn't the #2 guy in the division, but during that time everyone was talking about how nobody could beat either of them in the division. Then Carwin comes along and derails the Mir fan train.

So my question here is: Are Shogun and Machida as good as everyone thinks they are? Or is it just the fans buying too much into the UFC hype train?

you cant not say that machida is good, look at his record and the competition it has come against but i think it depends which shogun were talking about, the shogun in the ufc is yet to blow me away hes good and i tought he beat machida although the shogun of pride was on par with machida hopefully well see him in the ufc, for those of you that have yet to see this shogun please chek him out, may i recommend the shogun v rampage fight from pride from what i remember rampage actually tries to crawl out the ring

Now I'm a huge Machida fan' date=' but the thought came across me the other day. Everyone talks about how Machida and Shogun are head and shoulders above the rest of the LHW, but are they really?

Let me explain.

Now when Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir were having their little rivalry, most rankings (strictly UFC) listed Brock as #1, and Frank as #2. Now we sure as hell know [i']now[/i] that Mir isn't the #2 guy in the division, but during that time everyone was talking about how nobody could beat either of them in the division. Then Carwin comes along and derails the Mir fan train.

So my question here is: Are Shogun and Machida as good as everyone thinks they are? Or is it just the fans buying too much into the UFC hype train?

Kristufa this is a very valid point but as much as you are a fan of Machida I have been a fan of Shogun since late 2002

Machida's style exemplifies excellance with Karate but most karate guys have fallen by the wayside. Brings me to the point is however Machida is doing it, its special.I don't dislike Machida he just looks ordinary

Shogun excels in Maui Tai and always has brought an exceptional plan to his fights. The last fight was brilliant from the chess match within the fight, But lurking in the short distance is Bones and what I saw in Shogun is not identical but the ever evolving fighter which has become better.

Yes there that good, but when the UFC quits babying Bones ( The Janitor fight for example) and lets him fight the best I think he will reign supreme in about a year and half from now regardless of the outcome of Machida / Shogun 2

Machida is a joke. 16 fights in 7 years. 9 decisions. A few reputable opponents.

Shogun is legit. 22 fights in 8 years. 15 knockouts. Ruined all top LHW contenders....

Throw in a snapped arm, and double knee surgery on Shogun for good measure.

There is no discussion here.

Machida is a joke. 16 fights in 7 years. 9 decisions. A few reputable opponents.

Shogun is legit. 22 fights in 8 years. 15 knockouts. Ruined all top LHW contenders....

There is no discussion here.

I guarantee that Rua could go to a decision and he would win becouse he got screwed the first time,even if truly he lost. Doesn't that scare you?Well it does me ( should it happen to any fighter )

They are both really good but so is the rest of the division. Its really difficult being the best in 205 there are way to many tough fighters. But either way if anyone of them loses the rematch and one fight after he will quickly become overrated and has been, no matter who he fights. At least that is the mentality of this forum

Rich franklin' date=' stefen bonner, tito ortiz ,bj penn, thiago silva, rashad evens. if beating all them very very convincingly doesnt make you good i dunno what does. You are an idiot[/quote']

Sorry to break it up to you. But Machida and Penn fight was very close and could go either way. Plus Rich Franklin and Stephan Bonnar werent that great when Machida fought them. I dont want to discredit his wins beacuse they are great but the reallity is that he really didnt have so many dominating performances. Watch Machidas fight with Sam Greco and Vernon White. He was losing the standup with Greco and didnt want any part of it really. And Vernon White fight was so close that it could also go either way. The only thing that save Machida were two takedowns in the end.

I think Machida is a great fighter and top 3 easily but dont overdue it

Rich franklin' date=' stefen bonner, tito ortiz ,bj penn, thiago silva, rashad evens. if beating all them very very convincingly doesnt make you good i dunno what does. You are an idiot[/quote']

Rich Franklin moved up in weight and is hardly at the top of his game, Stephan Bonnar is a C level fighter, Tito hasn't updated his style since 2000, BJ Penn was outweighed by 50 pounds AND the decision was questionable, I give you Thiago and Rashad. But Those two are hardly GOAT names.

Machida is overrated in my opinion, but a stoppage of Shogun would change my mind.

Rich Franklin moved up in weight and is hardly at the top of his game' date=' Stephan Bonnar is a C level fighter, Tito hasn't updated his style since 2000, BJ Penn was outweighed by 50 pounds AND the decision was questionable, I give you Thiago and Rashad. But Those two are hardly GOAT names.

Machida is overrated in my opinion, but a stoppage of Shogun would change my mind.[/quote']

+1 I think he is a good fighter but if you would listen to what so many people talk about him on this forum you would think he is some kind of MMA god. I personally think that its all about the UFC hype. They hype some guy so much that everyone begins to think how unstopable he is which of course is not true.

+1 I think he is a good fighter but if you would listen to what so many people talk about him on this forum you would think he is some kind of MMA god. I personally think that its all about the UFC hype. They hype some guy so much that everyone begins to think how unstopable he is which of course is not true.

Machida received no hype what-so-ever. Many did not know who he was when he fought Tito, period. He climbed up the ladder all on his own, defeating fighters like Sam Hoger from ufc 67 to present day.

Sorry, you have been mislead. There was no hype for Machida.

Machida received no hype what-so-ever. Many did not know who he was when he fought Tito' date=' period. He climbed up the ladder all on his own, defeating fighters like Sam Hoger from ufc 67 to present day.

Sorry, you have been mislead. There was no hype for Machida.[/quote']

Fu, you're crazy on this one. Machida was hyped outta nowhere - mostly by UFC noobs who saw him beat Rashad and Thiago. Prior to that, he could barely eek out a decisive victory.

Fu' date=' you're crazy on this one. Machida was hyped outta nowhere - mostly by UFC noobs who saw him beat Rashad and Thiago. Prior to that, he could barely eek out a decisive victory.[/quote']

yeah i agree that machida was vastly over hyped he still to this day is really untested.. i mean he did beat alot of big names but he beat them before they where names.. like bj penn and rich franklin, he beat a washed up tito, i mean i love machida not because i think hes the best but because of his style, and im not afraid to admit he needs to be tested

Now I'm a huge Machida fan' date=' but the thought came across me the other day. Everyone talks about how Machida and Shogun are head and shoulders above the rest of the LHW, but are they really?

Let me explain.

Now when Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir were having their little rivalry, most rankings (strictly UFC) listed Brock as #1, and Frank as #2. Now we sure as hell know [i']now[/i] that Mir isn't the #2 guy in the division, but during that time everyone was talking about how nobody could beat either of them in the division. Then Carwin comes along and derails the Mir fan train.

man everyone can be beat except for Fedor,

but Shogun and Machida are top fighters.

Let me explain.

they are the most talented in the division by far. Nobody is even in their league at the moment. No other fight will be as exciting as their first fight just remarkable offence and defence displayed. imo i dont see anybody going 5 rounds with either of these 2 guys besides anderson or rampage.

Throw in a snapped arm' date=' and double knee surgery on Shogun for good measure.

There is no discussion here.[/quote']

damn dude i wouldnt call an undefeated champion a joke. im not going through all the fights he has had but the KO's he does have are very impressive. He is the only one besides rua who even deserves to be called a champion in that division i will kill myself if i ever saw another forrest griffin hold the title.

Let me explain.

Honestly, I agree with you... I do NOT think they are just way better than the rest.. Little Nog is legit, Thiago Silva is good, and sometimes I think what if Rashad got to rematch with Machida, I bet he would try and wrestle more and possibly win.

I don't really think Machida and Shogun are head and shoulders above everyone, and when Bader and Jones get up the rankings, they're gonna be a legit threat too.

Machida received no hype what-so-ever. Many did not know who he was when he fought Tito' date=' period. He climbed up the ladder all on his own, defeating fighters like Sam Hoger from ufc 67 to present day.

Sorry, you have been mislead. There was no hype for Machida.[/quote']

If you wanna be an intellect you should of named the bums and organization he was with before!I don't like him and I know

Listen you little ****** before you go insulting people and crying like a little nutthugger read my comment properly it reads "you cant NOT say that machida is good"... now whos the idiot?

Shogun has already proven himself to be a great. His skill and style matches up well with all the top 10 LHW's. His muay thai would dominate the top contenders at the moment, both Rashad and Rampage.

If Little Nog continues on his winning ways we could see a rematch against Shogun, would love to see those two battle again.

Machida isn't' date=' but Shogun is. The UFC hypes up Machida too much because he's a Karate style fighter.[/quote']

Shogun isn't, but Machida is.

Shogun got choked out by Forrest. Almost lost to a very old Coleman.

Machida is undefeated.

Shogun isn't' date=' but Machida is.

Shogun got choked out by Forrest. Almost lost to a very old Coleman.

Machida is undefeated.[/quote']

If Shogun is so bad how did he put up such a good fight against Machida. Come on now G. They are both Excellent fighters.

If were talking almost losses. Machida almost got triangled by Tito and a fat out of shape little Penn gave him a run for his money.

Archived