UFC to hold an event at the 65,000 seater Rogers Centre in Toronto

UFCGOD1

It has been reported that the ?major announcement? set for next Tuesday in Toronto by the UFC will be that the promotion has booked the 65,000 seater Rogers Centre in the city to host an event in March 2011.

MMA reporter, ?Showdown? Joe Ferraro reports the following:

?Numerous sources have informed me that the organization has reserved Saturday March 26th, 2011 as their first foray into the province of Ontario. This will also mark the UFC?s first event to be held inside a stadium.?

?The Rogers Centre, with it?s retractable roof, can seat over 46,000 fans for baseball and football, but when floor seats are added, the number dramatically increases to over 65,000. The current record for paid attendance is 68,237, set by Wrestlemania X8, on March 17th, 2002.?

I think someone posted this yesterday but it was only a rumour and they had no source to back it up. Imagine if the UFC can sell out 65' date='000 seats.[/quote']

well it is still a rumor ... this is a possibility on what will be announced in the UFC press conference in Toronto

here is the link

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/05/22/ufc-appear-set-to-push-the-boundaries-by-holding-an-event-at-the-65000-seater-rogers-centre-in-toronto/

If they can sell 65k seats' date=' you better believe it wont be Chuck Vs Rich as a headline either.

They will have to put on a UFC 100 type of card for that one.[/quote']

No they wont...

Montreal sold out in like 2 minutes

Vancouver sold out in seconds

you dont think they could sell 65 000 in toronto? You could probably get 65 000 Canadians Alone to go to that event as long as that card was alright.

As a resident of Ontario and a massive, massive MMA fan, this could truly be all that I hope for.

Tha article that this stems from, written by Shodown Joe Ferrero also states that this may very well be the location of the fight that we have all been wanting for years.

Anderson "Spida" Silva vs. Georges "Ruch" St. Pierre

This would only happen if both win their next bouts and in my opinion would probably take place at a catchweight of 178-180

I for one will definitely be in attendance and really hope that this fight could take place.

The full article can be read at http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2010/05/21/showdown_ufc_rogers/

GSP will most likely be on this card. His fight with Koscheck will be around November/December. So that will give him 3-4 months to train before March comes around.

Im going to Cuba on March break next year. Hopefully its the weekend after. I might make the trip up with some friends and see my first UFC card! Pumped!

I guess this will be the litmus test in Ontario so to say.

I would hazard that some provincial politicians and such would be in attendance, so nothing barbaric can happen during the event.

That means no Koscheck or Lesnar on the card I guess :(

if you're in canada and you want to sell 65k seats then GSP is your man....Im savoring at this rumor...what if he does fight Silva at this card? It would be one of the great spectacles in MMA history....but anywho in case Silva doesn't want to fight then maybe they should have a stacked main card to go along with it.

heres what I would do:

GSP vs Silva

BJ Penn(after he beats frankie again) vs George Sotoripolous

Velasquez vs JDS

Thiago Alves vs Paulo Thiago

Alan Belcher vs Vitor Belfort

Diego Sanchez vs Fitch 2 (I think sanchez won the first so it would be a great rematch)

if you're in canada and you want to sell 65k seats then GSP is your man....Im savoring at this rumor...what if he does fight Silva at this card? It would be one of the great spectacles in MMA history....but anywho in case Silva doesn't want to fight then maybe they should have a stacked main card to go along with it.

heres what I would do:

GSP vs Silva

BJ Penn(after he beats frankie again) vs George Sotoripolous

Velasquez vs JDS

Thiago Alves vs Paulo Thiago

Alan Belcher vs Vitor Belfort

Diego Sanchez vs Fitch 2 (I think sanchez won the first so it would be a great rematch)

It would be like rumble in the Jungle, but in an igloo instead (i'm canadian and am aloud to say that)

That's a really good main card. I like how you've thought out the

next possible matches for both champs too with belfort / belcher and alves / thiago

And i'm pretty sure every mma fan wants to see jds / velasquez

As a resident of Ontario and a massive' date=' massive MMA fan, this could truly be all that I hope for.

Tha article that this stems from, written by Shodown Joe Ferrero also states that this may very well be the location of the fight that we have all been wanting for years.

[b']Anderson "Spida" Silva vs. Georges "Ruch" St. Pierre[/b]

This would only happen if both win their next bouts and in my opinion would probably take place at a catchweight of 178-180

I for one will definitely be in attendance and really hope that this fight could take place.

The full article can be read at http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2010/05/21/showdown_ufc_rogers/

You could always go to Montreal events Bubba...it is a whole lot closer to us than Toronto!

What would be REALLY cool is if Ontario sanctioned it finally and we got events at the Bank! :)

It has been reported that the ?major announcement? set for next Tuesday in Toronto by the UFC will be that the promotion has booked the 65' date='000 seater Rogers Centre in the city to host an event in March 2011.

MMA reporter, ?Showdown? Joe Ferraro reports the following:

?Numerous sources have informed me that the organization has reserved Saturday March 26th, 2011 as their first foray into the province of Ontario. This will also mark the UFC?s first event to be held inside a stadium.?

?The Rogers Centre, with it?s retractable roof, can seat over 46,000 fans for baseball and football, but when floor seats are added, the number dramatically increases to over 65,000. The current record for paid attendance is 68,237, set by Wrestlemania X8, on March 17th, 2002.?[/quote']

Toronto in the house! Big up to the T-DOT!

GSP vs Shields

Silva vs Shogun

if they win there next bouts.. that would sell 65k seats..

You would think that GSP would be on the card for sure.

Dana said that Toronto is his #1 place in the world to hold a UFC event. The city will love it if it happens!

Ok, so here is what my sources tell me. Still attempting to get cage fighting sanctioned in Ontario the UFC plans, among other things, to show UFC 114 or 115 live at the Rogers Center on the big screen, not a live event. Then in the spring or summer of 2011 a live event in Toronto. Other news may be the opening of a head office in TO and possibly filming the next TUF in Toronto.

Ok' date=' so here is what my sources tell me. Still attempting to get cage fighting sanctioned in Ontario the UFC plans, among other things, to show UFC 114 or 115 live at the Rogers Center on the big screen, not a live event. Then in the spring or summer of 2011 a live event in Toronto. Other news may be the opening of a head office in TO and possibly filming the next TUF in Toronto.[/quote']

Who are your sources?

the only way there goin to out sell wrestle mania is if they have gsp on the card or they have two title fights on the card. 65 thousand people is alot. Actually If GSP ever fought Anderson Silva and they had it over in Canada it would be over 65 thousand. GSP is like god over there

I Think The Best Way To Sell Out 65' date='000 Seats Would Be To Have All 5 Title Fights On The Main Card And Still Top Contenders On The Prelims But Thats Highly Unlikely[/quote']

you really dont need to... montreal and vancouver each sell out in a minute flat...

they sell 20k like its nothing in Canada... 65 is a bit steap, but i bet they would do it within a week no problem

you really dont need to... montreal and vancouver each sell out in a minute flat...

they sell 20k like its nothing in Canada... 65 is a bit steap' date=' but i bet they would do it within a week no problem[/quote']

are you sure about that??

as far as i remember i was still able to find tickets the day after the presale started

I think someone posted this yesterday but it was only a rumour and they had no source to back it up. Imagine if the UFC can sell out 65' date='000 seats.[/quote']

Apparently, Zuffa will hold a press conference later this month about it,

And ill sure as hell will be in one of those 65,000 seats. Epic moment for worldwide mma.

I'm wondering 2 things:

1. WHy would I go watch a fight on tv at a stadium instead of a bar or my house' date=' and

2. How can you hold a UFC somewhere its illegal?

I think there are a lot of people with their heads in the clouds.[/quote']

1. The video board at the Rogers center is state of the art and is 33' high and 110' across. A crowd makes the event as much as the event itself and would be as close to a live event as it gets.

2. This would be a first step in making cage fighting legal in Ontario.

2a. Dana has stated previously he believes the Rogers Center would be a sell out but also said a stadium that big would not be fan friendly.

I'm wondering 2 things:

1. WHy would I go watch a fight on tv at a stadium instead of a bar or my house' date=' and

2. How can you hold a UFC somewhere its illegal?

I think there are a lot of people with their heads in the clouds.[/quote']

Cagey, once again you are the Voice of Reason in the Sea of Giddy Fanboys.

Why would anyone go to see fights in 65000 seat venue? 3/4 or more of the fans wouldn't see a thing. Music concerts in venues like that are bad enough but in that case seeing is only half the experience, hearing is the other half, though that said, the sound is usually horrible too.

I am sure WHEN the ufc comes to T.O. it really doesnt matter who they put on the card it will sell out.

I live 45 mins from toronto and be damn sure that no matter who is fighting i will be going and will pay way to much to do it. People won't even care if they can see the fight, just to say they were there for the first UFC in ontario is all they need.

Damn people still pay huge amounts of money to go watch the Maple Leafs suck every night.

It will happen. As more and more events happen in canada and they see the money they are making from it, its just a matter of time.

Think i heard on the radio the other day that the last event in Montreal got them a extra 50 mil for the city. Not bad for a nights work.

Archived