Is Bisping the best British Wrestler in the UFC?

sjameson6969

British Wrestler...that's like an oxymoron or something. Not many UK wrestlers standing out right now. Bisping is probably the best......

Britain has heard of it like.

I mean we do have wrestling clubs

Only thing the Americans have over us, is alot of schools have it??

I can't see the UK fighters reaching the same level of Wrestling as the US. The biggest strength our fighters have is in the stand up. We just dont have the collegiate wrestling at a young age like they do in the US. Our fighters just need to learn takedown defence. Bisping has the best sprawl out of all the UK fighters. So far that is.

I can't see the UK fighters reaching the same level of Wrestling as the US. The biggest strength our fighters have is in the stand up. We just dont have the collegiate wrestling at a young age like they do in the US. Our fighters just need to learn takedown defence. Bisping has the best sprawl out of all the UK fighters. So far that is.

His fight against Rashad was the perfect example, Evans was a Very good collegiate wrestler, Bisping done really well against him.

Id say he's maybe got the best actual all round ground game of the British fighters??

Britain has heard of it like.

I mean we do have wrestling clubs

Only thing the Americans have over us' date=' is alot of schools have it??[/quote']

Yeah it's a school sport. Like 96% of our high schools have it. And even the elementary schools and junior high. Kids can literally start wrestling when they're 5 and do it until the end of college.

Hell, i wrestled in elementary and Junior High

Yeah it's a school sport. Like 96% of our high schools have it. And even the elementary schools and junior high. Kids can literally start wrestling when they're 5 and do it until the end of college.

Hell' date=' i wrestled in elementary and Junior High[/quote']

I'll be honest, I was never any good a football in school.

But I could always fight, would love to have had wrestling in school.

I'll be honest' date=' I was never any good a football in school.

But I could always fight, would love to have had wrestling in school.[/quote']

+1

im from NZ, i played rugby... i made it onto 1 real good team, but got kicked of because they didnt like my attitude..... (training clashed with drinking in weekends lol, and schools pressured me to play rugby, i was pretty good... rugby is THE SPORT over here....) im not a big fan of team sports either..... (lol i want to try golf and tennis)

but i would of loved to have wrestling as a school sport..... i played rugby on and off for 8 years or so.... played hockey for a year, soccer for a year. (never honestly liked any of them much.... rugby all my friends played. others was just trying out... filling the time)

always wanted to play sports, im a sporty person... but didnt really click with any ball sports (lol except pool, i won $250 in a comp, and i own a competition sized table)..... i did athletics and stuff at school too, got to city finals in sprints and 4000 meter.

lol but wrestling... its kind of boring, but i enjoy watching some of the better matches now (even tho i know nothing about it....) but i bet it would be veeeery fun to compete in, and you can do lots of training outside the sport to make a significant difference in your performance (cutting weight, lifting weights, cardio, etc)... lots of stuff to keep you busy with....

i dunno, i just think its a really good sport to have at school

+1

i played rugby... i made it onto 1 real good team' date=' but got kicked of because they didnt like my attitude..... (training clashed with drinking in weekends lol)

but i would of loved to have wrestling as a school sport..... i played rugby on and off for 8 years or so.... played hockey for a year, soccer for a year. (never honestly liked any of them much.... rugby all my friends played. others was just trying out... filling the time)[/quote']

Played a bit of rugby myself, not for the faint hearted!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking just today how us Brits have rugby as a national sport and wondered if there are aspects in rugby tackleing and takedown wise that British fighters could use in the octagon! I mean when you have a huge gutly running toward you with the sole intention of taking you down to the ground surely it could be used?

I was thinking just today how us Brits have rugby as a national sport and wondered if there are aspects in rugby tackleing and takedown wise that British fighters could use in the octagon! I mean when you have a huge gutly running toward you with the sole intention of taking you down to the ground surely it could be used?

Thats a pretty good point.

I don't think the huge guys that are in the scrum would fair that well, say like a Jonny Wilkinson type guy (injury free) would be able to take people down at will!!!!

IMO Jon Hathaway is the best British wrestler, and comes from a rugby background, as did Dean Amasinger from TUF 9. Ok, so Amasinger wasn't the greatest fighter but his takedowns were impressive.

IMO Jon Hathaway is the best British wrestler' date=' and comes from a rugby background, as did Dean Amasinger from TUF 9. Ok, so Amasinger wasn't the greatest fighter but his takedowns were impressive.[/quote']

Nope...Tom Blackledge got to the final of the Fila World Submission Wretling and was only beaten in a close roll by Jeff Monson also Rob Broughton is very good too

I think so' date=' you guys agree?[/quote']

There are a number of wrestling clubs in England but not many, there are 4 in London, one in Oxford, Bristol. Birmingham, Manchester, and major cities like that. Check out the british wrestling association website if you want to wrestle.

I wrestle in Oxford and there are kids around 10 years old starting, but there in the states they have programs for kids in junior high (primary school), high school where they can probably train more than once a week, they will always have a massive wrestling advantage.

If you compare the amount of wrestling clubs here to the amount of karate/taekwondo/kickboxing/boxing/ clubs then there is a MASSIVE difference! unless you live in a major city you wont find anywhere to wrestle! Oxford is lucky to have one and we get about 3 adults turning up!! even though I told the local BJJ club which is full of guys wanting to cagefight about wrestling, and they just dont show up! which is STUPID!! wrestling is massive part of MMA but it seems most brits just wanna kickbox and do BJJ.

Im gonna become a level 1 freestyle wrestling coach later in year (-:

Archived