UFC 114 Breakdown

JujitsWho

http://huggingnuts.com/?p=463

Rampage Jackson vs. Rashad Evans

JujitsWho: Good match-up here. Nothing like a good old fashion grudge match to spice up a fight card. The bad blood between these two goes back a long time and it will finally come to a head Saturday evening in the main event. Stylistically, both fighters are similar. Strong wrestlers with good hands. I see this being a stand-up fight. Rashad will likely try to avoid this by shooting in for takedowns, but Rampage is the better wrestler in my opinion and will dictate where the fight happens. In the stand-up, both can be dangerous but Rampage can be flat out vicious. Rampage hasn’t been this motivated for a fight since his bout with W. Silva, and we all saw how that one ended. Motivated Rampage is bad news for most people in the light-heavyweight division, especially ones with suspect chins. Thats how this fight will be decided I think. Rashad will far well for a while, but he is bound to get nailed at some point. When that happens, someone will likely have to fetch his jaw from the third row.

JJW’s Prediction: Rampage via KO/TKO in the Second round

Jimmy Crack Corn: To me, this is the tale of two fights. When this fight was first being hyped, I thought,”Well, Rashad is so much better trained, coached, and well-rounded, and Rampage has looked pretty unrefined lately. Maybe an easy Rashad victory.” As the build up has progressed-including the delay from the originally scheduled Dec 12 bout at UFC 107 in Rampage’s home town of Memphis- I think I have changed my mind.

The supposed grappling advantage Rashad may have had due to his well-documented success in NCAA competition may in fact be a disadvantage. I seem to remember Rampage out-grappling Olympic Silver Medalist Dan Henderson in their fight; and even way back in the day as a new MMA fighter with long white socks, he was able to hang on the ground with noted all-world ground-wiz Kazushi Sakuraba. Maybe advantage Rampage.

While Rampage has still to prove he can deal with kicks and knees, his boxing is much better than Rashad’s. Rampage has maybe the cleanest, tightest, most powerful boxing at 205 pounds. Rashad on the other hand wastes a lot of motion and swings wildly. I’m looking for hooks to the body to set the stage on the feet, as Rashad over commits while Rampage remains in position to make him pay for it.

If Greg Jackson is a coaching guru, he threw a wild one-hopper in letting Rashad get Rampage pissed off enough to train properly and wade through Rashad’s well-roundedness.

Little noted fact- Rampage seems to have the best hips in a sport where hips are the basis for everything. If Rampage returns to his Pride-ful slamming ways, look out! If he doesn’t learn what to do with leg kicks, could go the other way.

JCC’s prediction: Rampage by third round TKO.

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller

JujitsWho: This could be a dangerous fight for Bisping in my opinion. He’s coming off of a loss and will be looking to finish this fight. Thats always a dangerous situation when dealing with a legit grappler like Miller. The Miller brothers are 2 of the most underrated fighters around in my personal opinion and if this fight hits the ground, Bisping will be in a LOT of danger. On the other hand, if this fight stays standing, its Bispings fight to lose. He is a far better and more technical striker. I think Bisping will do everything in his power to avoid the ground game of Miller. This means a healthy dose of quick strikes from the outside and solid footwork. He’ll play to his strengths in this one.

JJW’s Prediction: Bisping via Unanimous Decision

Jimmy Crack Corn: Miller is definitely tough and has been showing well. Not to pick on Bisping too much, but maybe he is thinking too much. I can see he has put in his work. His hip escapes in the Denis Kang fight from the bottom position put the “art” in “martial arts.” In his fight with Wanderlei Silva, and maybe others, it seemed like he was thinking about the crowd, how he looked, what the outcome would mean, just a little too much. Bisping has good skills. He should just loosen up and fight. Also, he should do whatever his training partner Rampage does for hip exercise, though I don’t know how Bisping’s wife feels about Asian girls.

JCC’s prediction: pick ‘em

Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow

JujitsWho: A battle of newcomers in this one. Russow looked pretty decent against McCully his last time out. Russow has a solid wrestling base as well as a decent ground game, with most of his wins coming by way of submission. Duffee on the other hand looked down right scary in his last fight, KOing a pretty solid fighter in Tim Hague in a record setting 7 seconds. Its hard to judge a guy based on 7 seconds of work though. What is his gas tank like? Can he deal with submissions while working from top position? What kind of guard does he have? These are questions we just won’t know until we see first hand against top competition. Knowing the Xtreme Couture guys, these are likely things that he has dealt with extensively in training. I think you’ll see the Duffee train keep rolling in this one though. Russow just didn’t strike me as a guy that will be able the kind of pressure and power Duffee brings into a fight.

JJW’s Prediction: Duffee by KO in the 2nd

Jimmy Crack Corn: Maybe I didn’t pay very good attention to these guys before. I guess I’m not that familiar with either. I do remember Duffee had some power. Weak analysis, but…

JCC’s Prediction: Duffee by KO.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Jason Brilz

JujitsWho: I actually think this may be a decent fight for a few minutes. Its rare that a replacement fight offers more of a challenge than the original, and based on styles, I think this is one of them. Brilz has fared well in the UFC so far, going 3-1 in his stint in the promotion. He is now stepping into the ring with a much higher level of competition though. Lil Nog needs no introduction, he’s a beast, plain and simple. He made a very good Luiz Cane look silly inside of one round in his debut and will be doing the same thing in this one. Its just too early for Brilz to face a guy the caliber of Lil Nog. Brilz will be out struck in the stand-up and if the fight goes to the ground he will be in even more danger. With the exception of Shogun, nobody in the light-heavyweight division is better on the ground.

JJW’s Prediction: Lil Nog via TKO in the second

Jimmy Crack Corn: Looks like I agree with JJW about both striking and ground games, except…

JCC’s Prediction: Lil Nog sub second round as Brilz scrambles.

Deigo Sanchez vs. John Hathaway

JujitsWho: Personally, I feel this fight is a “Welcome back to welterweight gift” from Joe Silva to Sanchez. Nothing against Hathaway because he is a decent fighter, but this is a bad match-up for him. Sanchez will get inside of Hathaway’s range and score takedowns and most likely dominate from top position most of this fight. My only debate on this fight is whether or not Sanchez will finish. I think he will, but a unanimous decision is very possible too.

JJW’s Prediction: Sanchez via submission in the 3rd (rear naked choke)

Jimmy Crack Corn: As much as Diego bothers me, he wears out Hathaway for a victory. Diego’s striking bothers me to no end. He is stiff like a robot and only throws exact form punches like he is throwing a numbered combination against a heavy bag. On top of that he does endless repetitions as a cardio emphasis guy, so he will probably never change that style of striking he has logged into his body’s main frame.

That said, his wind is great, he has relentless take-downs, and his scrambling is exceptional. If Hathaway watched BJ Penn’s footwork to deftly avoid the Attack of the RoboDiego, then he has a chance, otherwise….

JCC’s Prediction: Diego by RNC late second round.

Good stuff Jit's thought al agree with all except I have a feeling Miller is going to sub an overly agressive Bisping in the second late either a triangle or arm bar from the bottom. You are correct that Mike will be trying to finish this asap and its going to cost him.

" I seem to remember Rampage out-grappling Olympic Silver Medalist Dan Henderson in their fight"

This is actually very false....Dan was an alternate not a silver medalist. And he was a greco wrestler...which holds no bearing on being out wrestled by Rampage. You cannot touch any part of the body below the waist in Greo Roman wrestling...which would negate most takedows outside of the clinch and throws. and the ground wrestling would be completely different as well. People really need to stop using this comparison as far as Rampage being able to out wrestle rashad just because he did it to Dan Henderson. their wrestling styles are completely different and Rashads is much better suited for MMA.

" I seem to remember Rampage out-grappling Olympic Silver Medalist Dan Henderson in their fight"

This is actually very false....Dan was an alternate not a silver medalist. And he was a greco wrestler...which holds no bearing on being out wrestled by Rampage. You cannot touch any part of the body below the waist in Greo Roman wrestling...which would negate most takedows outside of the clinch and throws. and the ground wrestling would be completely different as well. People really need to stop using this comparison as far as Rampage being able to out wrestle rashad just because he did it to Dan Henderson. their wrestling styles are completely different and Rashads is much better suited for MMA.

He wrestled in the olympics dude, I know that for sure (I'm not the one who wrote that to be clear) whether or not he won the silver I'm not sure but I know he was in the top 10

To a point I agree with you though, freestyle wrestling is, IMO anyway, better suited for MMA. Thats not saying you can't do well with Greco though. Hendo is (or was) a beast and, style difference or no, is a MUCH better wrestler than Rashad. Not to mention that Hendo also has freestyle wrestling exp. at the collegiate level on top of his Greco.

So really, his analysis was fine, seeing how his point is that Rampage is the better wrestler.....which he is

Gotta agree with Crazy - He was the World Cup Silver Medalist which is not the Olympics' date=' however [b']he was an Olympian (1992, 1996)[/b] (he did not medal at the Olympics). I will email the author about this. Thanks bro.

He wrestled in the olympics dude' date=' I know that for sure (I'm not the one who wrote that to be clear) whether or not he won the silver I'm not sure but I know he was in the top 10

To a point I agree with you though, freestyle wrestling is, IMO anyway, better suited for MMA. Thats not saying you can't do well with Greco though. Hendo is (or was) a beast and, style difference or no, is a MUCH better wrestler than Rashad. Not to mention that Hendo also has freestyle wrestling exp. at the collegiate level on top of his Greco.

So really, his analysis was fine, seeing how his point is that Rampage is the better wrestler.....which he is[/quote']

Gotta agree with Crazy - He was the World Cup Silver Medalist which is not the Olympics' date=' however [b']he was an Olympian (1992, 1996)[/b] (he did not medal at the Olympics). I will email the author about this. Thanks bro.

I covered this already sir :D

Gotta agree with Crazy - He was the World Cup Silver Medalist which is not the Olympics' date=' however [u']he was an Olympian (1992, 1996) (he did not medal at the Olympics). [/u]I will email the author about this. Thanks bro.

your right I take that back...it was Randy C that was the alternate.

Archived