As much as I hate to admit it, Jake Shields may be the only real answer to...

UFCITOLDUSO

... Removing Anderson Silva's belt from around his waist.

Unless someone has some 'inside baseball' on Dan Henderson's performance in his last fight, Jake Shields has proven:

He can take a monster shot.

His wrestling neutralized an olympic wrestler.

How does he compare to Chael Sonnen as far as wrestling ability, submission skills, ground and pound, and knockout power?

Does he have a legitimate chance against Anderson? I'm not holding out much hope for Chael, and I don't know if Vitor is too one-dimensional.

Thoughts?

With the exception of Hendo (who actually won a round against Silva), Silva has not been challenged by a true wrestler or GNP fighter.

Even if he does, he is black belt BJJ, so it would be tough to beat him there too.

I think the middleweights in UFC are saturated with strikers, and Silva just happens to be the most deadly striker on the planet.

Its one of the reasons i think GSP would beat him in a fight... he would smother him.

edit:

Sonnen has a strong ground game, but he would get destroyed standing up. So his challenge is the same as all of Silva's previous UFC opponents.... Get the fight to the ground.

Hendo/Silva II would have been beyond epic...especially considering how hot Dan was with the crowd after UFC100. I think Dana might have kissed one of the biggest potential fights in years down the drain. Now to be fair, after the Shields showing, I don't even place him in the top 5 MW anymore, but damn what could have been, even if it would have been all hype.

As for Shields, no, I don't see him beating Silva. I see him being a very good match for GSP at Welter, but Jake at 185 in UFC isn't the right direction to take him.

Jake Shields lol find out which weight division he is in before you make a crazy proposition. If you think wrestling can defeat anderson than brock lesnar can fight him when he goes up to HW. Or watch how Anderson does against Chael Sonnen. Jake Shields is a lay and pray expert he can`t defeat anybody he can only wait for the decision.

Unless someone has some 'inside baseball' on Dan Henderson's performance in his last fight' date=' Jake Shields has proven:

How does he compare to Chael Sonnen as far as wrestling ability, submission skills, ground and pound, and knockout power?

Does he have a legitimate chance against Anderson? I'm not holding out much hope for Chael, and I don't know if Vitor is too one-dimensional.

Thoughts?[/quote']

The only thing Shields proved in that fight what that he has good takedowns.

He was rocked BADLY is the first round, and after Hendo gassed he managed to win by sitting on him for the following 20 minutes.

That, and Shields will be fighting at WW when he gets to the UFC.

With the exception of Hendo (who actually won a round against Silva)' date=' Silva has not been challenged by a true wrestler or GNP fighter.

Even if he does, he is black belt BJJ, so it would be tough to beat him there too.

I think the middleweights in UFC are saturated with strikers, and Silva just happens to be the most deadly striker on the planet.

Its one of the reasons i think GSP would beat him in a fight... he would smother him.

edit:

Sonnen has a strong ground game, but he would get destroyed standing up. So his challenge is the same as all of Silva's previous UFC opponents.... Get the fight to the ground.[/quote']

Also Rua could do it, Gamplan 2nd to none

Why so much praise on Vitor? Never will he beat Andy

I personally think with the way he has torn through middleweight he should be forced to vacate the title and move to 205, at 205 every one has beaten everyone, Forrest beat Rampage and Shogun Machida beat Tito and Rashad and after this saturday we'll know the winner of Rashad vs Rampage, so there is no clear cut #1 guy at 205, take Silvas belt force him to 205 and give him a shot at Shogun, then make the fight belfort vs sonnen for the vacant middleweight belt

Shields will get raped by the top 5 contenders in both the WW and MW division. plain and simple!

ok did you not see him beat Dan Henderson who was in the top 5 when he left the UFC??? i'll be the first to admitt i don't like jake shields but he is legit!! he has a win over Paul Daily who just fought for a shot at GSP, a win over Dan Henderson who fought not only for the Middlewight but lightheavyweight title so b4 you trash i guy do some research

ok did you not see him beat Dan Henderson who was in the top 5 when he left the UFC??? i'll be the first to admitt i don't like jake shields but he is legit!! he has a win over Paul Daily who just fought for a shot at GSP' date=' a win over Dan Henderson who fought not only for the Middlewight but lightheavyweight title so b4 you trash i guy do some research[/quote']

anybody in the UFC could beat Jake Shields standing up. Hell, i could beat Jake Shields in the stand up. He is extremely overrated!!

you're right, he beat Paul 'no ground game' daley by submission. WOW!!!

and he beat an old and not in shape Dan Henderson (where he only won by decision) who almost KO'd him in the first round.

you're right Jake Shields is so awesome and wouldn't get raped by top competition in the UFC.

WHAT A JOKE!!!

Unless someone has some 'inside baseball' on Dan Henderson's performance in his last fight' date=' Jake Shields has proven:

Thoughts?[/quote']

I disagree, but I do think that he could dethrone GSP.

Thoughts?[/quote']

not gonna hapen

Jake Shields did not put on a outstanding performance during the Henderson fight.

Dan Henderson did horrible that night, I don't know what the hell was wrong with him. Yes Jake Shields won but dang, did you see his ground and pound? It had no power behind it.

I think the top guys in the UFC would dispose of him.

I don't think it's going to be a wrestler that will beat A. Silva. I think it will be a powerful striker......Shogun. I bet A.Silva acts the same way Machida did when he actually gets hit. Machida used to be untouchable, now it's Silva's turn.

I think jake shields would realy not have to much of a chance because of anderson speed and strength and size shields walks around at 190 pounds i here and i would guess he has to keep his wieght up to stay at 190 but gsp would run in to alot of prob

sonnen couldn't shine shiels' shoes. ridiculous to compare the two.

shields definitely COULD beat silva, and my opinion is that he would.....

in fact if he signs with the UFC, i'd like him to stay at middleweight.

Archived