Alan Belcher pushing for fight with fellow UFC contender Demian Maia

SuperDan1406051816

Alan "The Talent" Belcher (16-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is both lucky and unlucky to be a UFC middleweight on a win streak.

He's lucky, of course, because he's risen to the top of the promotion's 185-pound division. (Hard work helped, too.) But he's unlucky because there aren't many fighters who share his streak, and as a result, he has to wait a little longer than most to stay active.

Belcher recently expressed frustration with his predicament, but he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMAjunkie.com Radio | MMAjunkie.com) that he has plans for moving his career forward.

"Right now we're pushing for Demian Maia because I think [the UFC] has plans for everyone else," Belcher today said on the radio show. "I think that's an interesting fight. That will help me solidify the No. 1 contender spot.

"I think the timing would be right for me to fight (Vitor) Belfort after that."

Maia (12-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) hasn't fought since he fell short in a title loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva in April.

Belfort, meanwhile, (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) is earmarked by UFC president Dana White as the next contender for Silva, provided the champ can get past No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen at UFC 117 in August.

Fabiano Farah, Belfort's manager, recently told MMAjunkie.com that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion will be ready to vie for the title in November. That leaves time for Belcher to carve out a spot as the next contender.

"I'm just going to wait for the time to be right to keep winning the fights that I get right now," Belcher said. "Hopefully, they're big fights. I'm satisfied with what the UFC's given me right now."

Belcher, 26, is coming off a second-round submission victory over former middleweight contender Patrick Cote at UFC 113 earlier this month. It was his second consecutive victory after a TKO of Wilson Gouveia at UFC 107, and it was his fourth straight octagon appearance in which he won a performance bonus (two for "Submission of the Night" and two for "Fight of the Night"). The only loss in Belcher's past five fights is a closely contested split decision to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100.

The Jonesboro, Ark. native said his frustration with the UFC's matchmaking process is rooted in impatience. The best way to keep his upward trajectory is to keep winning fights.

"In the past, I was unsatisfied with the way the UFC was pushing me," Belcher said. "But it's just me having big expectations and wanting to get out there. At this point, I think I've proven myself, and I'm starting to get the respect that I deserve.

"In the (Sherdog.com) interview I did about [my frustration] ... I was basically saying the same thing ? that Belfort was going to get the title shot because it was something to do with his contract or something that they had promised him. It wasn't like I disagreed with it; I just thought it was something that was already planned out.

"The UFC has to give me big fights now. I deserve them."

Belcher said he's spoken to a UFC official recently and expects to get a fight soon, though he doesn't have a concrete timetable for his return.

"It doesn't really matter to me as long as I get a few weeks to get mentally prepared for whoever I fight," he said. "I'm ready whenever."

i love how this guy gets a 2 fight win streak and all of a sudden he thinks he's a top contender. how bout gerald harris? he's 2-0 in ufc and he gets no recognition. how about aaron simpson, he's 4-0! yet ufc thinks belcher should get title fight before him. just ridiculous

I absolutely think he deserves to fight top ranked MW. I don't know why people doubt this guy. I thought he won the Akiyama fight. It was a very close split decision and that would have been a 5 fight win streak. He's exciting and aggressive.

I like how he is being vocal too. It's his career and If i was in his position I would be doing the same thing. He needs more exposure, you can tell just from the replies to this thread. People haven't watched this guy close enough.

I can't wait till this guy actually fights a real fighter. Any top ten would wreck him.

I guess you haven't seen him fight...and you are probably forgetting he fights at MW.

Try out a top ten list and you'll see that he's probably on it

i love how this guy gets a 2 fight win streak and all of a sudden he thinks he's a top contender. how bout gerald harris? he's 2-0 in ufc and he gets no recognition. how about aaron simpson' date=' he's 4-0! yet ufc thinks belcher should get title fight before him. just ridiculous[/quote']

If the split to Sexy had gone Belcher's way he'd be on a five fight win streak.

You haven't been paying attention

guys he is one hell of a fighter but no where near a TITLE SHOT. i mean he might be able to get a title shot in 2-3 years and win when anderson is finally gone but he doesn't have great wrestling and thats the only way to be SILVA. If he really thinks that he can stand with SILVA hes so wrong. I believe maia or sonnen or belfort would all dominate him.

whoever thinks that hes getting favored is wrong. He beat 4 out of 5 opponents and should have beat akiama(i believe he won), so he is a great fighter and who knows? maybe hell KILL maia if they get the fight. And then get a title shot. I mean theres not much left.

I absolutely think he deserves to fight top ranked MW. I don't know why people doubt this guy. I thought he won the Akiyama fight. It was a very close split decision and that would have been a 5 fight win streak. He's exciting and aggressive.

I like how he is being vocal too. It's his career and If i was in his position I would be doing the same thing. He needs more exposure' date=' you can tell just from the replies to this thread. People haven't watched this guy close enough.[/quote']

This ^^^

i love how this guy gets a 2 fight win streak and all of a sudden he thinks he's a top contender. how bout gerald harris? he's 2-0 in ufc and he gets no recognition. how about aaron simpson' date=' he's 4-0! yet ufc thinks belcher should get title fight before him. just ridiculous[/quote']

Gerald Harris has had only two fights against scrubs; certainly looks promising, but way too early to tell.

Aaron Simpson is finally getting his gatekeeper fight, but he has still only had a TOTAL of 7 fights; a level above Harris, but still a step back from Belcher, who has actually paid his dues.

The rankings @ MW are a bit of a crapshoot, but the top twelve would look something like this:

1. A. Silva

2. Chael Sonnen

3. Vitor Belfort

4. Damien Maia

5. Nate Marquardt

6. Yoshihiro Akiyama

7. W. Silva

8. Rousimar Palhares (currently suspended)

9. Belcher

10. Munoz

11. Sakara

12. Okami

Belcher is a good fighter' date=' not sure why people doubt his ability....has good striking and a good chin as well...very exciting to watch...[/quote']

I agree, belcher is one badass mofo. i love watching this guy fight and have been following him for a while - you cannot doubt this guys ability.. sure hes still young but hes only getting better

Gerald Harris has had only two fights against scrubs; certainly looks promising' date=' but way too early to tell.

Aaron Simpson is finally getting his gatekeeper fight, but he has still only had a TOTAL of 7 fights; a level above Harris, but still a step back from Belcher, who has actually paid his dues.

The rankings @ MW are a bit of a crapshoot, but the top twelve would look something like this:

1. A. Silva

2. Chael Sonnen

3. Vitor Belfort

4. Damien Maia

5. Nate Marquardt

6. Yoshihiro Akiyama

7. W. Silva

8. Rousimar Palhares (currently suspended)

9. Belcher

10. Munoz

11. Sakara

12. Okami[/quote']

I can believe you have some of these guys above bisping. Demian Maia number 4! Bisping would murder him!

Give belcher to bisping next then the winner to face Maia then the winner for a shot at the belt!

Belcher seems to be coming into his own the last year or two. The problem he has is that he lost a few fights earlier in his career that are still affecting his ranking (Day, Okami, Grove). I think the UFC wants to make sure he proves himself before throwing him in with the top guys in the division.

Archived