Does Machida have KO power

Hurzy

And by that I mean being able to connect with one punch and knock a guy out. Ive seen him KO people, but never by landing 1 clean punch. I would consider the Evans KO as a KO via strikes, not just a 1 punch KO, and in the Silva fight I wouldnt count it because Silva was grounded and he had a lot of momentum behind that.

To specifically answer your question in the title of the thread.

Yes

He has Knocked Rashad out so badly that Rashad didn't even look human with teh expression on his face, Rashad looked like he was in cartoon land.

Rashad-Evans-getting-knocked-out.jpg

Combo of punches or single punch doesn't matter Knocked out is knocked out. Yes he has KO power. I do believe he has one punch KO power as well.

Yes

He has Knocked Rashad out so badly that Rashad didn't even look human with teh expression on his face' date=' Rashad looked like he was in cartoon land.

[img']http://www.z1035.com/includes/images/BlogsImages/Rashad-Evans-getting-knocked-out.jpg[/img]

Combo of punches or single punch doesn't matter Knocked out is knocked out. Yes he has KO power. I do believe he has one punch KO power as well.

ps: you think Rashad will look like this tomorrow night too?

You make a good point. I guess I should have titled it differently. Something cleanly KO someone with 1 clean punch.

But I think that he does to, its just that hes not known for swinging for the fenses so im intersted to see what other people think.

idk i have to disagree, a one punch k.o vs a set of punches can make a big difference. one punch your done, theres no need to struggle to finish, its over. a set of punches, you have to avoid him catching you in guard, and hopefully not have him catch you in a sub while your throwing your arms out wildly

Yes

He has Knocked Rashad out so badly that Rashad didn't even look human with teh expression on his face' date=' Rashad looked like he was in cartoon land.

[img']http://www.z1035.com/includes/images/BlogsImages/Rashad-Evans-getting-knocked-out.jpg[/img]

+1, hopefully same expression after a man hits him who HAS 1 punch KO power

The need for more than one punch is not because he doesn't have power but rather because his opponents are not stupid. The KO against Rashad for example did come from a clean punch but was set up by other strikes.

All that being said Machida has KO power but so do most of the UFC's fighters. Machida has outstanding accuracy though which along with reasonable KO power makes for a good combo.

Depends really. It's really not his style, he likes straight punches mostly with speed in mind and to set things up but if given an opening where he could load up a little putting his full weight behind it I think he could KO anyone in the world with one punch so yeah I think he's got one punch KO power. He just likes to play the long distance quick counter game more which better suits his style.

Anyone can have "1 punch" KO power technically.

Look at rashad's KO on Chuck for proof. Rashad isn't known for his punching strength, yes he has crisp standup, but people wouldn't fear his power. For that kind of a KO, it doesn't REALLY matter on strength, more on placement and timing. Luck has a lot to do with it as well.

If your talking about the Carwin/Dos Santos/Velasquez(sp?) kind of 1shot power, where they can knock you out with a grazing shot, then No. He doesn't. But to be fair, most human beings wouldn't have that kind of power either.

Yes

hahahahahahahahaah!!!!!!! nice picture

Machida has overrated KO power, his strikes seem to have little to no effect on Shogun and the guy has 1 9 decisions in 16 wins. Hes not a finisher and all of a sudden everybody thought he could finish everybody cause of 2 fights.

Machida has not displayed, to my knowledge, the ability to flash KO someone yet... a barrage of punches landing culminating in a KO is different than a 1-punch KO...

Hendo and Rampage have both shut out lights with one clean shot...no follow-up punches needed, but were delivered anyways lol...

imo Machida and others have shown the ability to KO someone with a plethora of shots...

Machida has not displayed' date=' to my knowledge, the ability to flash KO someone yet... a barrage of punches landing culminating in a KO is different than a 1-punch KO...

Hendo and Rampage have both shut out lights with one clean shot...no follow-up punches needed, but were delivered anyways lol...

imo Machida and others have shown the ability to KO someone with a plethora of shots...[/quote']

LMAO, yuo're right about hendo. Porr little Bisping. lol. And he topped it off with another shot just for good measure

Machida isn't a Wanderlei Silva type that will run you down and try to kill you with one shot throwing crazy powershots and not minding getting hit himself. He's more tactful in setting up his striking. If he dazes his opponent, he moves in for the kill. Otherwise, he stays out of striking range to avoid getting hit himself.

Machida has never, as far as I can recall, tried to just KO a dude with 1 huge left. He strikes quick and hard, but he nevers gives absolute 100% power punches because that makes your body be out of a good position to defend.

Machida strikes exactly like karateka strike. They stay out of range, time the opponent, and shoot in like lighting if there's an opening (patience is a virtue), land a solid strike, and jump back out of danger ASAP.

That's what sport Karate sparring is. "Who can land the strike first?" This particular skill has set him apart from the others. Some tmes you get caught in the exchange and lose (Shogun is the first to do this effectively, and almost missed by overshooting his punch)

He's so quick that to land a solid one on him is a prayer 95% of the time.

Also, his backing out at angles to counterstrike is another skill that most MMA fighters don't execute at the level he does nor can they effectively run him down and land a strike. He lures them into a trap and they don't even know it.

Back on topic,

Machida does have 1 punch KO power, but you will never seem him go for an all-out punch.

Machida has overrated KO power' date=' his strikes seem to have little to no effect on Shogun and the guy has 1 9 decisions in 16 wins. Hes not a finisher and all of a sudden everybody thought he could finish everybody cause of 2 fights.[/quote']

How is his KO power overrated?

Not being known for exceptional KO power can't possibly make you have overrated KO power.

He's won 20 of 23 rounds in the UFC, so whether he finishes with a KO or dominates nearly every round he's fought makes no difference. He's won in definitive fashion 15 out of 17 times.

The guy has only 1 loss out of 17 in his 7 years of professional MMA competition. Not many can claim such an outstanding record, especially considering who he has beat along the way.

How is his KO power overrated?

Not being known for exceptional KO power can't possibly make you have overrated KO power.

He's won 20 of 23 rounds in the UFC' date=' so whether he finishes with a KO or dominates nearly every round he's fought makes no difference. He's won in definitive fashion 15 out of 17 times.

The guy has only 1 loss out of 17 in his 7 years of professional MMA competition. Not many can claim such an outstanding record, especially considering who he has beat along the way.[/quote']

Im using overrated because everybody fell in love with his 2 KOs 4 the belt and thought machida was going to do that to every opponent he faced after that. I mean u would get hypothetical threads on here about a machida/Rampage thread and the majority took Lyoto by KO within the 1st 2 or 3 rounds, it was ridiculous so yes his ability to finish fights is overrated or overhyped thanks to the fans.

Archived