Instant re-match is bull crap

KarateMark

So, why is BJ fighting Frankie again?

I really hope this doesn't become a trend with the UFC.

I know that BJ fought like $#!T against Frankie, but that's his own damn fault. Why doesn't Dana make BJ fight someone else and gain another shot at the title just like he does to everybody else who loses?

He did the same for Shogun and Lyoto. Granted Shogun put up a closer battle with Machida, the instant re-match call after the fight was also ridiculous. Shogun deserved another shot Machida, but not right away. If Shogun defends twice, he will most likely be facing Lyoto for the 3rd time in about a year and a half.

Now BJ gets a re-match against Frankie?

Bull$#!T!!

I even like BJ more, but this really is a $#!t move.

It just pisses me off. Give someone else who is also deserving a shot at the title and not instantly to the the guy who just lost his chance/defense. Fvkk that ****.

He lost, he needs to earn another shot, not be handed it to him without any effort.

I fail to see any rationality in this.

So' date=' why is BJ fighting Frankie again?

I know that BJ fought like $#!T against Frankie, but that's his own damn fault. Why doesn't Dana make BJ fight someone else and gain another shot at the title just like he does to everybody else who loses?

He did the same for Shogun and Lyoto. Granted Shogun put up a closer battle with Machida, the instant re-match call after the fight was also ridiculous. Shogun deserved another shot Machida, but not right away. If Shogun defends twice, he will most likely be facing Lyoto for the 3rd time in about a year and a half.

Bull$#!T!!

It just pisses me off. Give someone else who is also deserving a shot at the title and not instantly to the the guy who just lost his chance/defense. Fvkk that ****.

He lost, he needs to earn another shot, not be handed it to him without any effort.

I fail to see any rationality in this.[/quote']

First of all Dana is not the fight maker - that job is Joe Silva's

How can you say Shogun didnt deserve an instant rematch? the judges called the first fight wrong (thats not Rua's fault) and he beat Machida easily in the rematch thus justifying the fight

Nobody gets an easy ride in the UFC and Frankie Edgar's first title fight is against the best lightweight in the world - I personally thought the first fight was a draw - I know they are rare but I thought they were really even.

I dont see the point in the LW title being passed round a few fighters because no-one will be seen as real champ till they fight BJ.

Personally, I believe Shogun beat Machida the first time they fought as well as the second time, so I try to be considerate and understand that a lot of people thought BJ won the fight against Frankie, even though I think Frankie did more than enough to earn the title.

Personally' date=' I believe Shogun beat Machida the first time they fought as well as the second time, so I try to be considerate and understand that a lot of people thought BJ won the fight against Frankie, even though I think Frankie did more than enough to earn the title.[/quote']

They only make this rematch cause Edgar is not a huge PPV atm .

they made a rematch because of the controversial judges decision. (even if you think edgar diserved the W it was still controversial) it was a close fight i thought it could have gone either way. but one of the judges had scored every round for edgar that is ridiculous. and what happened to, to become the champ you have to realy beat the champ.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Edgar-Penn.html

Bull$#!T!!

YEs givng the best guy in the division a title shot is quite a puzzler.

' date='[b'] to become the champ you have to realy beat the champ.[/b]

this is one thing I do not want to see come over from boxing - its not the right attitude to have especially when your judging a fight, basically what your saying is every challenger for the title goes into the fight with an handicap, and its not a fair fight - I would rather see a rematch than see that keep happening - judges should judge the fight like the title is vacated when they enter the cage. If a fighter slightly beats the best in the world in his weight class he is the best in the world, he shouldnt have to anihilate the best in the world

Bull$#!T!!

You phoo,Dana reconized the huge injustice that was a bogus decision.He granted an instant rematch to rectify the matter,because he knew Shogun would never leave it to the judges again.In which indeed he did not.And also you will see a third time fight would only end up another KO win for Shogun.I agree with you on the Frankie,BJ thing though.BJ does not deserve an instant title shot,he was not robbed.He just stanked,badly.As he does everyother fight.No need to reply,I know you have nothing.C ya.

this is one thing I do not want to see come over from boxing - its not the right attitude to have especially when your judging a fight' date=' basically what your saying is every challenger for the title goes into the fight with an handicap, and its not a fair fight - I would rather see a rematch than see that keep happening - judges should judge the fight like the title is vacated when they enter the cage. If a fighter slightly beats the best in the world in his weight class he is the best in the world, he shouldnt have to anihilate the best in the world[/quote']

the graphic from fightmetric had nothing to do with the to become te champ part.

i was just comparing the BJ edgar fight with machida V shogun 1. at the minute that saying is only rolled out as an excuse for poor judging.

but i think that rule could work if they use it for every fight. because evry close title fight will always be a souce of controversy and arguments. even with it in place though i still think shogun done enough to win the first fight by a clear margin.

I agree with the op...just because the champ fought like shxt is no excuse to give him an instant rematch.

And it wasnt a close fight, it was unanimous decision. Even BJs own corner told him before the start of the 5th that he had to win the round to "have any chance of winning"...and BJ didn't do shxt in the 5th which is why he didn't look surprised in the slightest when the decision was read.

this is one thing I do not want to see come over from boxing - its not the right attitude to have especially when your judging a fight' date=' basically what your saying is every challenger for the title goes into the fight with an handicap, and its not a fair fight - I would rather see a rematch than see that keep happening - judges should judge the fight like the title is vacated when they enter the cage. If a fighter slightly beats the best in the world in his weight class he is the best in the world, he shouldnt have to anihilate the best in the world[/quote']

+1 This guy knows what he's talking about.

the graphic from fightmetric had nothing to do with the to become te champ part.

i was just comparing the BJ edgar fight with machida V shogun 1. at the minute that saying is only rolled out as an excuse for poor judging.

but i think that rule could work if they use it for every fight. because evry close title fight will always be a souce of controversy and arguments. even with it in place though i still think shogun done enough to win the first fight by a clear margin.

Oh yeah, I had no doubt in my mind that Rua's hand was going to have his hand raised after that first fight, its the only time I have actually been properly angry after a fight, to the point where I actually stopped liking Machida as a result (even though it wasnt his fault).

Yeah, I get you, I was just saying I hope the to be the 'champ you have to beat the champ' attitude doesnt come in because at the end of the day we are going to see rematch after rematch if it does

i agree to. it made sense for the machida/shogun fight and i think machida asked for a rematch to prove who was the best. but idk i dont see bj getting rocked. btw has he ever been dropped or rocked?

I dont think so, you cant really tell when he gets rocked, he almost shows no pain in his face when he gets hit.

Oh yeah' date=' I had no doubt in my mind that Rua's hand was going to have his hand raised after that first fight, its the only time I have actually been properly angry after a fight, to the point where I actually stopped liking Machida as a result (even though it wasnt his fault).

Yeah, I get you, I was just saying I hope the to be the 'champ you have to beat the champ' attitude doesnt come in because at the end of the day we are going to see rematch after rematch if it does[/quote']

An interesting point:

No 'Dominant' Champion has ever lost his title by a very close and or controversial decision. So its not like this thing happens all the time.

I wonder how many free title shots Dana is going to give BJ. Sure BJ can possibly win a rematch but he doesn't deserve it he lost. It was not the robbery Shogun Vs Machida was and I laugh when people compare the 2. I can see BJ only having to win 1 fight for a rematch but an immediate rematch? Not warranted. Edgar won round 3 4 & 5 and won all criteria Damage, striking, grappling, cage control and I guess agressioncan go either way.

I wonder how many free title shots Dana is going to get. Sure BJ can possibly win a rematch but he doesn't deserve it he lost. It was not the robbery Shogun Vs Machida was and I laugh when people compare the 2. I can see BJ only having to win 1 fight for a rematch but an immediate rematch? Not warranted. Edgar won round 3 4 & 5 and won all criteria Damage' date=' striking, grappling, cage control and I guess can go either way.[/quote']

The only reason people dont compare the 2 is because there are way more people that hate BJ Penn than hate Machida or Shogun. Therefore biased opinions fly freely on this forum (which dont matter for anything)

The rematch is happening.

Oh yeah' date=' I had no doubt in my mind that Rua's hand was going to have his hand raised after that first fight, its the only time I have actually been properly angry after a fight, to the point where I actually stopped liking Machida as a result (even though it wasnt his fault).

Yeah, I get you, I was just saying I hope the to be the 'champ you have to beat the champ' attitude doesnt come in because at the end of the day we are going to see rematch after rematch if it does[/quote']

yeah i think all close title matches will probably end up getting remacthed either way. any close title fight with that rule or without ie machida v rua and penn V edgar. will always be controversial enough to have the fans arguing. which makes for good PPV figures.

I wonder how many free title shots Dana is going to give BJ. Sure BJ can possibly win a rematch but he doesn't deserve it he lost. It was not the robbery Shogun Vs Machida was and I laugh when people compare the 2. I can see BJ only having to win 1 fight for a rematch but an immediate rematch? Not warranted. Edgar won round 3 4 & 5 and won all criteria Damage' date=' striking, grappling, cage control and I guess can go either way.[/quote']

free title shot? he is the most dominant LW in the history of the sport and has recently trounced all other top contenders.

the decision wasn't as bad as machida shogun but it was definitly messed up. one judge had edgar winning every round. look at the fight stats for your self.

yeah i think all close title matches will probably end up getting remacthed either way. any close title fight with that rule or without ie machida v rua and penn V edgar. will always be controversial enough to have the fans arguing. which makes for good PPV figures.

free title shot? he is the most dominant LW in the history of the sport and has recently trounced all other top contenders.

the decision wasn't as bad as machida shogun but it was definitly messed up. one judge had edgar winning every round. look at the fight stats for your self.

So you agree that BJ lost?

I wonder how many free title shots Dana is going to give BJ. Sure BJ can possibly win a rematch but he doesn't deserve it he lost. It was not the robbery Shogun Vs Machida was and I laugh when people compare the 2. I can see BJ only having to win 1 fight for a rematch but an immediate rematch? Not warranted. Edgar won round 3 4 & 5 and won all criteria Damage' date=' striking, grappling, cage control and I guess agressioncan go either way.[/quote']

I agree with u at 100 % this instant title rematch is a mistake . The UFC look like fool to me when they give this kind of instant rematch to a uge PPV like BJ .

They only make Edgar fight again cause he not a huge PPV , that one of the reason the ufc dont give any rank for title cause the can change everyting for $$$$ .

I agree with u at 100 % this instant title rematch is a mistake . The UFC look like fool to me when they give this kind of instant rematch to a uge PPV like BJ .

They only make Edgar fight again cause he not a huge PPV ' date=' that one of the reason the ufc dont give any rank for title cause the can change everyting for $$$$ .[/quote']

Yeah but why do the UFC make $$$$? because the fans are buying the PPV to see the fights they want to see - it works both ways

i think he got the instant rematch because he did not pull out of the card because he was sick, like his trainer said...as a favor to Dana in their Middle East premier card...

but still I would have preferred Florian to fight Edgar for the belt and Penn to fight Maynard for the #1 contender spot...

Archived