Carwin's AMAZING submission game

BrockObama

A couple of guys on here are bringing up Carwin's 5 submission victories as evidence of his well-rounded MMA skills.

Many of you may be surprised to learn that Carwin has any submission victories on his record. Well, there's a good reason for that: The guys he submitted are all nobodies who exist solely to pad the records of other fighters. But don't worry, I did some digging around and here's what I found out about them:

1) Carlton Jones - MMA record 1-4. The crowning achievement of his short-lived career was being the first notch in Shane Carwin's belt. Plus, the submission was due to strikes, so it's not indicative of any kind of BJJ prowess.

2) Casey Jackson - MMA record 4-2. Got submitted 22 seconds into his fight with Carwin by guillotine choke. Probably shot in with a sloppy takedown attempt and gave up his neck. Gift-wrapped submission victory.

3) Jay McCown - MMA record 1-3. Four fights in ten years.

4) Chris Guillen - MMA record 13-12. This guy has quite an impressive resume...of guys who kicked his ****! Heath Herring, Shane Carwin, Ricco Rodriguez, Justin Wren, Brad Imes, and Ben Rothwel all have the distinction of beating this guy up. Somebody call for a tune-up? I've got just the guy. (Okay, so he did beat Wes Sims twice, I'll give him that).

5) Rex Richards - MMA record 6-2. Who was that second loss to, you ask? Why none other than Darrill "DD" Schoonover.

A couple of guys on here are bringing up Carwin's 5 submission victories as evidence of his well-rounded MMA skills.

Many of you may be surprised to learn that Carwin has any submission victories on his record. Well' date=' there's a good reason for that: The guys he submitted are all nobodies who exist solely to pad the records of other fighters. But don't worry, I did some digging around and here's what I found out about them:

1) Carlton Jones - MMA record 1-4. The crowning achievement of his short-lived career was being the first notch in Shane Carwin's belt. Plus, the submission was due to strikes, so it's not indicative of any kind of BJJ prowess.

2) Casey Jackson - MMA record 4-2. Got submitted 22 seconds into his fight with Carwin by guillotine choke. Probably shot in with a sloppy takedown attempt and gave up his neck. Gift-wrapped submission victory.

3) Jay McCown - MMA record 1-3. Four fights in [i']ten[/i] years.

4) Chris Guillen - MMA record 13-12. This guy has quite an impressive resume...of guys who kicked his ****! Heath Herring, Shane Carwin, Ricco Rodriguez, Justin Wren, Brad Imes, and Ben Rothwel all have the distinction of beating this guy up. Somebody call for a tune-up? I've got just the guy. (Okay, so he did beat Wes Sims twice, I'll give him that).

5) Rex Richards - MMA record 6-2. Who was that second loss to, you ask? Why none other than Darrill "DD" Schoonover.

unleach off brocks nuts a little bit and see the light my friend. you really have to try and discredit carwin for everything he has worked for, dont you? you are such a hater that its not even funny. Grow up and look at reality.

I'm not saying Carwin is gonna walk all over brock. I'm close to 50/50 on who will win the fight. Obviously i will be rooting for Carwin, but i understand that Brock can beat him as well. You need to do the same and not be so attached to brocks nuts and realize that he can lose! (and already has)

unleach off brocks nuts a little bit and see the light my friend. you really have to try and discredit carwin for everything he has worked for' date=' dont you?[/i'] you are such a hater that its not even funny. Grow up and look at reality.

I'm not saying Carwin is gonna walk all over brock. I'm close to 50/50 on who will win the fight. Obviously i will be rooting for Carwin, but i understand that Brock can beat him as well. You need to do the same and not be so attached to brocks nuts and realize that he can lose! (and already has)

And you think I've got the balls in my mouth! What, are you penning Shane Carwin's biography, or something? "Everything he has worked for"? He hasn't been around, that long, and most of his career thus far has been against crap competition. Gonzaga was the first fight of his that mattered. All of those other fights he worked so hard for in his illustrious career have been nothing more than warm-ups.

Someone with the same wrestling pedigree as Brock that has knocked out Gonzaga and Mir within the first round along with 10 other people.. you serious man.. Carwin will be taken down at some point probably just cuz there is no way that Brock will stand with him... The difference is.. Brock wont be able to out power and hold Carwin down like he has to his other opponents.. Carwin by TKO in round 2

Yeah' date=' Lesnar's submission record is impressive... oh wait.[/quote']

I have never heard a Lesnar fan say that he would win any of his fights by submission. I'm pointing out the inconsistencies in all the Lesnar hate out there. All the things people have been bad-mouthing Brock for over the last couple of years can easily be applied to Shane Carwin, with the exception of his "disrespectful attitude," which you'll pardon me for not caring about.

And you think I've got the balls in my mouth! What' date=' are you penning Shane Carwin's biography, or something? "Everything he has worked for"? [b']He hasn't been around, that long, and most of his career thus far has been against crap competition. Gonzaga was the first fight of his that mattered. All of those other fights he worked so hard for in his illustrious career have been nothing more than warm-ups[/b].

once again, there you go discrediting him. what you bolded on my last post and trying to tell me i'm attached to his nuts is plain retarded. i simply said you're trying to discredit him. which you are because you just proved it again. i didn't say one bad thing about lesnar. you proved you are attached to brock at the nut sack.

I think if Shane trains his take down defense enough and implements a similar strategy in the Mir fight' date=' he'll wreck Brock just as quickly as any of his other fights.[/quote']

Carwin already has pretty good takedown defense. I know he was taken down by Gonzaga, but that was very shortly after he had just rocked Carwin, so he probably couldve taken almost anyone down because of that. I know Brock's takedowns will be much better than Gonzagas would be, but people just assume that because gonzaga took carwin down that he has no takedown defense.

Carwin already has pretty good takedown defense. I know he was taken down by Gonzaga' date=' but that was very shortly after he had just rocked Carwin, so he probably couldve taken almost anyone down because of that. I know Brock's takedowns will be much better than Gonzagas would be, but people just assume that because gonzaga took carwin down that he has no takedown defense.[/quote']

Never said he has bad defense, but he will need to train like mad for Brock, because that's all Brock can rely on. If he tries to stand with Carwin for more than a round he will go down, imo.

Never said he has bad defense' date=' but he will need to train like mad for Brock, because that's all Brock can rely on. If he tries to stand with Carwin for more than a round he will go down, imo.[/quote']

yeah sorry, i didn't mean for it to sound like you didn't say that. i do agree that it definitely wouldn't be a bad thing for Carwin to work on his TDD more. all i'm saying is it's better than most people think.

Who's been saying Carwin's gameplan is going for submissions?

I think it is pretty funny that people think Lesnar is going to win with a TD early. Sorry guys, Carwin isn't as easy to take down as Frank Mir and has way better standup. Carwin is bigger and stronger than anyone else Lesnar has faced, has great wrestling and extremely heavy hands.

Even Mir and Couture were successful in getting time on the feet. A guy like Carwin has a great chance simply by taking a page out of Couture's book.

Those Five fights you mention are just as many as Brock has had in HIS CAREER!

If you take anything away from this' date=' it should be that numbers don't mean anything when 5/6 of your fights are against garbage. You know who else had a perfect record until recently? Darrill Schoonover. 10-0 until his fight with James McSweeney at the TUF finale. La-dee-friggin-da.

Now take those 10 fights on Darrill's record and superimpose them onto the first ten fights in Shane Carwin's resume. Wow, they're virtually interchangeable because those opponents are just footnotes in other fighters' records.

Brock had [i']one[/i] warm-up fight, and then they fed him to the top-level competition. Sorry, but those five fights are worth more than Carwin's Ring of Fire Heavyweight Championship. Look up the guy he won that title from, by the way. His name is Sherman Pendergarst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Pendergarst#Mixed_martial_arts_record

Archived